Just Like Heaven

Don't worry

I got my entire family back together for Noah's first birthday. It was a a very fun and great time. My mom and Donna seemed to have clicked, only a bit, and Max was bugging Gerard about comics. Gerard was okay with it, but I didn't want Max to bother him too much. Brendan talked with Mikey and Seth for a bit, while Paula and I conversed while I bounced Noah.

"How is the little guy?" She asked me as Noah looked over the teddy bear Max had brought him.

"He's okay, tomorrow is his 6th month check up," I kissed the top of his head, "Y'know...I'm kind of worried about him."

Paula furrowed her brows a bit, "How come?"

"Noah isn't cooing. He whimpers, but you know babies all try to talk, Noah doesn't."

Paula tweaked her lips, "Have you tried talking with him? Like playing games?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I do, but nothing. I'm gonna talk to his doctor tomorrow about it. Mikey thinks its nothing, but it's worrying me a little."

Paula patted my knee, "I'm sure it's nothing, M."

"Me, too."

My concerns for Noah's health sunk in me. I was worried that maybe the umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck at birth may have done something. I could never forgive myself if it had.

I wanted to get my mom's opinion. I pulled her aside before we lit the cake for Noah. My mom smiled at me, taking Noah in her arms; "Hi baby boy."

"Mom, can I ask you something?"

My mom balanced Noah and nodded, "Of course, sweetie."

"Do you think there's something wrong with Noah? He doesn't try and talk like other babies." I explained. 

My mom looked him over, "I couldn't say, I don't think so. Maybe he has a speech impediment."

I bit at the inside of my lip, "You think so?"

She shrugged, "Possibly. He may stutter."

I frowned, "Shit."

My mom rubbed my back, "Don't fret, Morgan. I'm sure he just doesn't want to talk yet. You didn't start walking until you were two."

"Late bloomer?"

She nodded, "Yeah, so don't worry."

My mom's opinion set me at ease. I was okay with the thought of him being a late bloomer than having something extremely physically wrong with him.

I was relaxed once Mikey lit the candles and everyone began to sing happy birthday. Noah grinned with his funny little teeth and clasped his hands together. I kissed his cheek just as it was his time to make a wish, "Make a wish, birthday boy." I said to him.

Noah looked at the candles while Mikey blew them out. Noah clapped his hands after smiling at his daddy. I kissed his cheek again, clapping my hands with him.

Everyone sat at the table as Brendan cut the cake. Everyone got their pieces and I fed Noah in his high chair. I didn't want him to eat too much sugar, so I gave him just a little bit of cake. He seemed so interested in the design than actually eating it.

"He's so observant...it's freaky." Gerard said with a fake shiver.

"He's smart," Donna nudged him, "He wants to know what things do."

Gerard turned to Noah, "You eat this, No-No."

I laughed, "No-No?"

"His nickname."

Mikey groaned, "You are not calling my son No-No."

Gerard rolled his eyes, "Yes I am."

"You keep callin' him that, I'm gonna stab you." Mikey held up a plastic knife, causing all of us to laugh.

"Stab away, little bro." Gerard challenged with a smirk.

Mikey shook his head, "I could never stab you...I don't want to go to prison."

"You'll end up being someone's bitch." Brendan joked.

All of laughed again. This night had turned into such a great evening. 

•••

The next morning, my mom, Brendan and Max all had to head back to the airport and I would drop them off before I took Noah to his appointment. Along the ride, we talked about how much fun we had and when we'd be seeing each other again.

I carried Noah in my arms as I escorted my family towards their gate. Noah was sleepy, resting his head in my shoulder, his chubby little fingers felt the design of my floral top. I followed them and then waited with them before their flight was called.

We talked, again, at future plans. I let Max play with Noah, while Brendan and I talked with mom.

"I'm happy for you, Morgan," Brendan started, "You made a pretty decent life."

I laughed, "Thanks, Brendan."

"Noah is a cute baby, too." He added, "He kind of looks like Max."

"I see it too." I giggled and shook my head.

Their flight was called a few minutes later, and I got up with them. I hugged them, kissing their cheeks. My mom lingered, "Don't worry, Morgan." She advised.

I nodded, "I won't."

Noah hugged my mom and Brendan, too. We waved to them as they disappeared into the tarmac. I carried Noah back out to the car, setting him in his car seat, and giving his a kiss on his forehead.

On the road, I called Mikey; he was working on some comic book stuff with Gerard, and had a meeting with Fender-Squire about getting a new bass.

"Hey babe." He greeted, "Are you going to the doctor's?"

"Yep, I just called to see how you were." I giggled.

"Aw, do you miss me?" Mikey cooed jokingly.

"Of course." 

"I miss you, too. How's my boy."

I looked at Noah through my rearview, "He's fine. You know how quiet he is."

"Are you gonna ask his doctor about that?"

"Yeah." I felt my heart grow heavy.

"Don't worry, M." He said just like my mom had.

"I won't. I only want to make sure my son is healthy."

"Me, too." He said, "But I'm sure that it's nothing to bother about."

"I hope you're right."


Noah sat on my lap after we entered the doctor's office. They weight him, took his height, then the doctor was suppose to come in. Noah was a bit cranky because he ha fallen asleep in the car, but he didn't even whimper.

I let him play and squeeze my fingers, I kissed his head repeatedly, waiting for the doctor. When he had finally come in, he didn't look too happy.

"Hello Ms. Haley, how are you?" Dr. Wormer, "How is Noah?"

"I'm fine, Noah is great."

"Well, everything is great, physically with him," Dr. Wormer began while looking over a chart, "Anything abnormal at home?"

I opened my mouth, "Well, he isn't...talking. I mean, he isn't cooing it trying to say words. He doesn't make any noise, only whimpers, especially when he cries."

Dr. Wormer looked at me, "Oh, really?"

"Yeah. His former pediatrician said it was normal, but lately, I've noticed the whimpers are less frequent."

"What about when he cries?"

"He rarely ever cries, and when he does, it's silent and he makes a soft little cry."

Dr. Wormer tweaked his lips to the side, "We could run some test, an MRI on his brain, but I think I have an idea of what Noah has."

I held my breath, ready to hear what Noah could be suffering from.
♠ ♠ ♠
Clif hanger on a really long chapter!
Note, the next part is based of true events that happened to me. Not me in particular, but a friend of mine.
As always, I have a new Mikey Way story: Tragic Magic

Thank you for reading!
xo ali