Just Like Heaven

Accident

Mikey and I showered after our little session, then we got dressed. We were going to go to Gerard's and light some fireworks with Noah. I slipped my underwear on, and Mikey was getting his clothes on, when his phone started to ring.

Mikey grabbed it, "Hey, Gee, what's up?" I wasn't even paying attention, until Mikey looked at me, "Don't tell her what?" He gave me a funny smile.

I raised my brow and shook my head. I continued to dress, until Mikey spoke again, "What the hell, Gerard? You're suppose to watch him!" 

I looked at him, holding my shirt in my hand, "What happened to Noah?!"

Mikey put his hand up, "Hold on," He said to me, "Put egg on it, not ice! We'll be right over." Mikey hung up his phone and looked at me, "He burnt his hand."

"How?" I pulled my t-shirt on quickly and began to brush my hair out fast.

"Ray lit a sparkler and Noah put his hand on the end. I don't know why those idiots weren't watching him." He spat, pulling his jeans on.

Mikey looked pissed, I wasn't pissed, I was worried.

We hurriedly got dressed, then rushed out the door. Mikey drove, while I sat in the passenger seat and bounced my leg. I was nervous as hell, I just wanted to see my baby.

And, as soon as we got there, I practically jumped out the car. A few of the neighbors were outside; the sun was setting, and the sound of firecrackers went off. I rushed up the porch, Mikey behind me and opened the door.

"Noah!" I called out; I saw him on the counter, next to Frank and his wife Jamia, with tears rushing down his face, and puffy red cheeks and eyes.

I rushed over to him, his tiny left hand wrapped in gauze. I saw some yellow soaked through it; I looked up at him, his tiny bottom lip poked out, "Are you okay, baby?" I wiped his tears away.

He shook his head no.

Mikey came in after me, "Let me see your hand, Noah." Noah held his hand out to him and unwrapped the gauze.

His skin was ripped away, and the stains of the egg yolk was present; "Where the fuck is Gerard?" Mikey growled.

"Mikey, man, calm down." Frank was trying to ease the situation.

"Did you see his hand?" Mikey barked at him, "He can't talk, Gerard was suppose to be watching him!"

I put my hand on Mikey's arm, "Mike, calm down." 

You should've seen the look he gave me. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under.

"It was an accident." Gerard finally emerged, "I was inside, taking a piss." He handed me more gauze.

"Gauze isn't going to help," Mikey picked Noah up, "We're taking him to the hospital."

Mikey practically pulled me out the door. I followed after, stumbling; Mikey opened the passenger door for me and then set Noah on my lap once I sat. He jogged over to the other side and got in, quickly starting the car.

Noah looked scared; I'm sure he was scared because of how Mikey was behaving and his burnt hand. I held him close to me and kissed his head repeatedly.


Noah kept himself hidden in my lap, and I rubbed his back while Mikey filed out his hospital forms. Noah curled himself up, as little as he could, away from Mikey. Mikey's yelling had frightened him, and I cooed to him, trying to make him feel better.

"Daddy isn't mad." I told Noah once Mikey left to turn in the forms.

This didn't deter him. He kept himself curled up and cowering, almost, in my lap. I kissed his head and looked his wrapped hand over; it was bleeding again, and I wished he could tell me what had happened. "Does it hurt baby?" I asked him.

He nodded.

"Mommy's sorry." I murmured against his cheek, "Is your alligator at Uncle Gee's?" He nodded again, "I'll get it for you later, okay?"

Mikey returned just then, "Is he okay?"

"He's scared."

He frowned, "I'd be too."

"Of you." I added.

His brows furrowed, "Why? What did I do?"

"That," I told him, "You're acting mad. The way you yelled earlier scared him."

Mikey's lips tightened, "I can't help it," he whispered, "My idiot brother wasn't watching my mute kid. He could've died."

I frowned at him now, "You think just because he's mute that he'll get hurt a lot worse if he wasn't? He's two, he's a toddler, he's going to get hurt. If he could talk; he would've burned himself, and he would be screaming his head off. This doesn't change a thing."

Mikey looked at me and his features softened, "I'm sorry."

"Apologize to Noah, not me. He's the one afraid of you."

Mikey sighed and knelt down towards my lap, Noah looked at him once then turned away. He gave another sigh, tapping his knee, "Noah, look at me, please?" Mikey spoke softly and Noah barely looked at him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. Daddy's worried about your hand."

Mikey took hold of his hand and kissed it. I smiled, hoping this would coax Noah from his hiding. "I was scared, too." Mikey told him; slowly, but surely, Noah uncurled himself from my lap; "I don't want you to be hurt. That's why I got mad with Uncle Gee; he was suppose to help you."

Noah just barely smiled at Mikey; "Will you give me a hug?"

Noah nodded and put his arms out; Mikey picked it up and hugged him, minding his hand. He sat him on his lap, and looked his hand over, "I'm sorry this happened, baby boy."


The doctors treated his hand, but he had to stay overnight for a skin graph in the following afternoon. He had third degree burns, but it would be easy to take care of; he would have to keep his hand wrapped for 6 weeks in a layered glove type thing. The doctors let us stay with him, pulling out a couch bed thing, that looked very uncomfortable, and only one of us would be allowed in the room when they did the skin graphing to keep him at ease.

"You can go with him," Mikey told me, "I'm leaving the day after tomorrow," he sighed heavily, "I'm not even gonna be here when he gets out."

I coursed my hair, sitting beside Noah as he looked up at the TV screen playing some cartoon, "So soon?" I mumbled.

"That's why I was doing all this; spending time with you guys. I blew off interviews and shit." He rubbed his face, "Fuck."

Noah looked at him, then at me; he pointed at the screen and I saw an alligator. I squeezed my eyes shut a moment; "Alligator. I forgot. I'll get it for you, baby."

"What?" Mikey looked at me.

"I bought him a stuffed alligator earlier, it's at Gerard's. I'm gonna go get it." I stood up and kissed Noah's head, "I'll be back, Noah."

"Wait, I'll go." Mikey took my arm.

I shook my hand, "Spend time with him like you wanted. I'll be back in 30 minutes." I kissed Mikey's cheek and hurried out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't even know how I'm going to end this story.
I have so many ideas, it's kind of scary.