Moon Lights Up the Night

1/1.

Caballeros Cala.

The only all-male strip club in New York.

Sounds trashy? It’s far from it. Owner Gabriel Saporta is one of the richest young men in the Upper East Side, and runs his club like a tight-knit, albeit slightly wild, family and protects his dancers like any parent would.

A classy, well-respected establishment where a smart dress is required for entry, and an ID is a obligatory, regardless of age. Any inappropriate touching? You’re out. Any lewd comments that the dancer can’t handle? You’re out. Fighting? You’re out for life. Gabe’s dancers are there to entertain, but are not a cattle market. Treat them with respect or don’t come back.

Mondays to Fridays are theme nights. Saturdays are pairs and groups nights. Sundays are the only days the club was closed. Anyone over 21, any gender, any sexuality is permitted as a customer, and the drinks are reasonable without being watered down. Gabe Saporta runs a good business and he knows it. No-one leaves without a memorable night, and that’s a fact.

Tonight was a Monday night, a brisk, chilly September night, and the theme was firefighters. Rian Dawson had been working at Caballeros Cala for 3 years now, ever since he graduated community college at 22. He was a bouncer, and he was a damn good one at that. Nothing made Rian prouder than knowing that he could look over his friends night after night and make sure they were protected and safe. Whether it was working at the front door, by the bar, on the floor or at the entrance to backstage, Rian loved his job. Sure, it wasn’t what he thought he’d been doing when he graduated college, but he couldn’t be happier. He honestly didn’t know what else he’d be doing if his best friend Zack hadn’t persuaded him to apply for the job with him.

Speaking of Zack…

“Gabe switched me and Jon over for shifts tonight because Spencer’s not feeling well and Jon wants to keep an eye on him over by the bar,” Zack announced, shrugging his jacket on over his mandatory plain black shirt, black chinos and sturdy black boots.

Jon Walker and Spencer Smith had been dating since high school, Jon old friends with Gabe and getting Spencer the job as a bartender so they could spend even more time together. It would be sweet if they didn’t make Rian want to throw up at their PDA.

“Sure thing. It’s fucking cold tonight though. I feel bad for anyone else stuck outside,” Rian mused.

Zack laughed and nodded, opening the first set of front doors to the entrance corridor, revealing Nick Santino, the ginger-haired guy who collected the $10 entrance fees, setting up his booth. It was a long slightly-darkened stretch of walls from then on with in-action photos of all 10 current dancers hung up, as well as a few past treasures. Rian pushed open the front doors, the two men securing them open into the fairly well-lit alley that ran down the side of the building. The club had to have some sort of anonymity after all. It was only 5pm, but the first few would trickle in around half past 5 when work started finishing in the big city, and the customers would only grow from there on.

“Fuck, you’re right, it is cold,” Zack groaned, rubbing his hands together.

“Nhn,”

“What?” Zack asked.

“I didn’t say anything,” Rian frowned.

“I swear I heard a noise,” Zack replied.

“Well it wasn’t me,” Rian said, confused.

Zack held up his finger for silence, the two men falling quiet.

“Nhn,”

“See, told you!” Zack said triumphantly.

“It’s coming from the dumpsters further up the alley,” Rian said, starting to walk up.

Zack glanced around to make sure no-one was coming up behind them, before following his friend.

“Holy shit,” Rian gasped.

Zack’s jaw dropped slightly as he reached Rian’s side. Curled up between two dumpsters, slightly hidden under a few black trash bags was a severely bloodied and bruised boy, no older than 18, if Rian could take a guess. His eyes were half-lidded and his face was scrunched up in pain. This was recent. He hadn’t been here more than 12 hours.

“H-Help,” the boy choked.

Rian snapped out of his thoughts at the word.

“Go and get Chizzy and Butcher to cover the front doors, then get Victoria into the emptiest back room and tell her to get her medical kit. Hurry!” Rian ordered.

Zack nodded and ran back into the building. Rian crouched down to the boy’s level.

“I’m going to pick you up okay? Then we’re going inside and we’re going to get you cleaned up. Are you okay with that?” Rian asked clearly.

The boy weakly nodded, so Rian scooped him gently up in his arms and stood up. Wow, the boy was taller than he originally looked, all long gangly limbs. And fuck, he barely weighed a thing. Rian would place money on being able to count the boy’s ribs if his thin t-shirt was off. Rian started to walk back inside, whimpers of pain coming from the injured boy, only making him more determined to get inside quicker. This boy needs medical attention now. Chizzy and Butcher’s eyes widened as they took their new stations outside the doors, letting Rian past without questioning. Soon enough Rian had carried the bloodied boy through the main room and into one of the back rooms, the backstage manager and club medic Victoria (or Vicky T as the dancers called her) waiting for him with her medical kit.

Her face paled and her eyes widened at the state of the young boy, her head snapping up to Rian as he lowered him onto a clean table.

“Fuck, what happened?” Victoria demanded.

“I don’t know, I haven’t had time to ask. Zack and I found him and I immediately brought him in,” Rian shrugged.

“Shit. Well, I’m going to guess that he was beaten up and mugged. He looks so young,” she groaned.

“I’d say 18 years old, maybe 19?” Rian offered.

“I’m e-eighteen,” the boy mumbled.

“Ssh, don’t speak just yet, sweetheart,” Victoria soothed, pushing his hair off his forehead.

Just then, Zack walked back in the room, with Gabe Saporta, owner of the club and their boss, right behind him.

“Fuck, he looks worse in this light,” Zack grimaced.

“Mugged?” Gabe asked, glancing over the boy’s bloody body.

“And severely beaten during. The kid’s only 18, Gabe,” Victoria murmured.

“Shit. Fuck. Shit. On my turf? Surely street punks know better than this,” Gabe growled.

“Should we contact the cops?” Rian asked, glancing worriedly down at the boy.

“Wait until we’ve sorted out the boy. Uh, you two get back on the floor, take over from where Chizzy and Butcher originally were, and I’ll stay out here with Victoria to talk to the kid,” Gabe said.

Rian sighed but nodded. Something inside him really wanted to stay and watch over the boy, but Gabe’s word is law. Everyone knows that.

“P-Please don’t go!” the boy cried out, clutching at Rian’s arm.

“Honey, try not to move, we don’t know the extent of your injuries yet,” Victoria urged.

She tried to pry the boy’s fingers from Rian’s wrist, but it was no use. He wouldn’t let go. Zack snorted and shook his head in amusement, Gabe just sighing.

“Fine. Rian, you can stay. Until the boy is calm. Zack, get back out there,” Gabe said firmly.

Zack nodded and left, so Rian settled down on the stool next to the table, resting a hand gently on the boy’s shoulder to reassure him that he wasn’t going anywhere.

“Well there’s nothing in his pockets apart from a bus ticket from Jersey City to here, and the wrapper from a stick of gum. Are you from New Jersey, kid?” Victoria asked.

“N-No, I just spent a couple of weeks there to get some money for a bus ticket to here. ‘m from Baltimore,” the boy said slowly, “and the gum was lunch. Yesterday,”

From Baltimore? The gum was lunch? Yesterday?! Rian’s eyes widened in shock.

“Are you a runaway, kid?” Gabe asked softly, sitting down on the boy’s other side.

The boy’s eyes filled with tears, but he nodded. The other three sighed. Not good.

“We’re going to have to call your parents,” Victoria said softly.

“N-No, you can’t! I’m e-eighteen anyway and I can legally leave if I want to. Not that my step-dad cares after my m-mom died,” the boy mumbled.

“Fuck, I’m sorry your mom died,” Rian blurted.

The boy looked at Rian, a little surprised, but managed a weak smile.

“T-Thanks. She was my b-best friend. S-She got hit by another c-car when I was 15 and my step-dad bl-blamed me because I w-was in the car w-with her and I didn’t e-even get a scratch,” the boy stammered, rambling out of nerves.

“How long ago did you leave?” Gabe asked, in an attempt to steer the boy away from the topic of his mom.

“3 months back. Hitchhiked m-most of the way here, not spending any more than a few weeks in one place, but I m-managed to get some money occassionally by b-b…fuck, by begging,” the boy said, his cheeks colouring.

“Hey, it’s nothing to be ashamed of, okay?” Rian said softly, trying to calm him down.

The boy swallowed heavily, but nodded slightly.

“I got here last night, about m-midnight. I-I was just walking around for a couple of hours, l-looking for somewhere to sl-sleep, when these three g-guys came out of nowhere and starting b-beating me up. I blacked out after a little while, and woke up j-just before I h-heard voices. Your voice. T-They took my bag and my wallet. I-I only had my ID in my wallet and a few t-shirts, a pair of jeans and a thick jumper in my bag, but it’s a-all I had. I-It’s all I had left and i-it’s gone,” the boy sniffed.

Any sadness for the boy’s condition that Rian felt before had tripled. The boy really did have nothing. No home, no money, and only the bloodied clothes on his back. Fuck.

“I don’t know where to go or what to do and I’m so fucking scared,” the boy finished, tears filling his eyes.

“Kid, listen to me, you don’t have to worry any more, okay? We’re going to look after you. You got dumped on my turf, and that means I’m now responsible for you. You’re not alone anymore, kid,” Gabe promised.

“Y-You mean that? I don’t have to live on the streets anymore?” the boy asked hopefully.

“No, you don’t. You’re safe now,” Gabe said warmly.

“W-What is this place?” the boy asked, his voice filled with wonder.

“It’s the only all-male strip club in New York,” Gabe grinned.

The boy’s eyes widened dramatically, making Rian, Victoria and Gabe laugh.

“I think it’s time you had a look at his injuries, don’t you, Victoria?” Gabe said innocently.

Victoria laughed again and nodded, opening her kit.

“Before we start, what’s your name, kid?” she asked.

“J-Jack. My name’s Jack,” the boy said nervously.

“Welcome to the crazy family of Caballeros Cala, Jack,” Rian smiled.

*

“I never want to hear another song about fire, or firemen, or even that it’s raining men,” Zack groaned, resting his forehead on the bar.

“I think Halvo agrees with you,” Rian snickered, nodding at their sound and lights guy in the upstairs overlooking platform at the end of the room, who looked exhausted but relieved.

“And puh-lease, you know you thought Martin looked hot in his outfit tonight,” Vinny, one of the bartenders, smirked.

“Maybe, but it’s not like Jess would appreciate that thought, is it?” Zack shot back.

Mm, Jessica. Zack’s long-term bitch of a girlfriend who no-one in the club liked – and that took a lot of effort.

“Regardless, you loved the theme so shut your yap. How’s that bloodied-up kid you brought in, huh Rian?” Vinny asked.

“You weren’t even out here when I brought Jack in,” Rian frowned.

“This is CC! Everyone knows everything!” Vinny grinned.

Rian thought about it for a second, before shrugging. Vinny had a fair point. Everyone at Caballeros Cala was family, and there are no secrets between family.

“Well, I stayed out there for half an hour with him while Victoria cleaned up the blood, stitched up a few gashes and bandaged up his ribs. Jack started freaking out when she unzipped his jeans though, so she gave him a few painkillers that knocked him out. I left after that to get back out on the floor because I only stayed in there to keep him calm. I haven’t been back in there since,” Rian explained.

“Sounds romantic,” Vinny grinned.

Zack snorted, rolling his eyes.

“Sounds like the kid…”

“Jack,” Rian interrupted, correcting him.

“Sound like Jack is a frightened 18 year old runaway that’s latched onto the first person to show him kindness in 3 months,” Zack said, rolling his eyes.

“It’s still romantic,” Vinny sighed happily.

“Isn’t Flyzik romantic enough for you?” Zack asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You are talking about the same Matt Flyzik with the Mickey Mouse toy collection, right?” Vinny mused.

Rian and Zack looked at each before, before starting to laugh. One of the other bouncers Matt Flyzik, Vinny’s boyfriend of 6 months, had an obsession with Disney which Vinny had happily informed everyone about – and Flyzik had never lived it down since.

“Rian, the kid’s awake and asking for you!”

Rian turned at the sound of Victoria’s voice and smiled, excusing himself from his friends before heading backstage. Sure enough, in the room that they’d been in before, Jack was huddled in an armchair, his long legs bent with his knees drawn up to his chin, although he was now wearing a completely different set of jeans, a t-shirt and a thick hoodie.

“William had some spare clothes, and he’s the skinniest and tallest guy here other than Gabe. Luckily he was in a good enough mood to loan them for a day or two,” Victoria explained.

Rian nodded and smiled at Jack, earning a weak smile back, and he sat down on one of the stools so he was facing Jack.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Rian asked softly.

He smiled a little more when he heard Victoria leave the room.

“Better, but I’m aching everywhere,” Jack replied quietly.

“That’ll be the bruises and the stitches. You look a lot better,” Rian admitted.

Rian wasn’t lying. Without the blood all over him, Jack actually had quite an attractive face, almost in an adorable way. And his hair was so dark and thick! Rian just wanted to run his fingers through…okay, side-track slightly, but still. He looked a lot better.

“Thanks. And thanks for helping me tonight. You didn’t have to,” Jack said shyly.

“Well I couldn’t just leave you out there, could I?” Rian teased.

Jack blushed deeply, making Rian laugh softly. So adorable.

“So what happens now? Should I leave or…”

“No,” Rian interrupted, “We’ll find somewhere for you to stay tonight and then we’ll figure out what to do in the morning,”

“Where could I stay?” Jack frowned.

“Well there are 29 of us working here, not including Gabe, I’m sure we can figure something out,” Rian smirked.

Jack’s eyes widened, making Rian laugh again.

“There are 10 dancers, 5 bar staff, 8 bouncers, 1 guy out front, 1 guy on lights and sound, 4 backstage staff and Gabe,” Rian explained.

“So many people!” Jack gasped.

“We’re a big family, I’ll admit, but we’re all there for each other,” Rian smiled.

Jack didn’t have a chance to reply before Gabe walked back into the room.

“Pretty much every one of the dancers is jizzing their pants to meet Jack, so I’d get him out of here quick if I were you. Save the interrogation for tomorrow,” Gabe announced.

Rian nodded. That was a lot of attention that Jack didn’t need right now.

“Sure thing. Who’s he going home with?” Rian asked.

“Well I seem to remember you being pretty pleased with yourself for buying that new futon sofa bed…” Gabe trailed off teasingly.

Rian chuckled but nodded. He knew his announcement of last month’s pay date splash-out would bite him in the ass.

“Do you mind coming back to mine for the night? I promise the futon is comfortable,” Rian said softly.

“I haven’t slept on a real bed in three months, I think I can deal with it,” Jack said shyly.

“You’re in good hands, Jack. Rian’s one of the best men I know. He’ll look after you,” Gabe smiled.

Jack blushed a little but nodded. Rian smiled too and helped Jack stand up slowly, being careful not to strain Jack’s bruised ribs. Huh. Jack was a good couple of inches taller than Rian too when he stood up. Rian wouldn’t have guessed that. Oh well. Rian managed to get Jack out of the backstage area in the parking lot behind the club, and into his car, without them being mobbed. Success!

“I live with Zack at the moment, the other bouncer that found you, but he’s staying round his girlfriend’s tonight so it’s just us two for now,” Rian said, starting the engine of his 1959 Cadillac Eldorado, the car that he and his brothers had spent a summer re-building from shell and junk parts when Rian was in Junior year of college.

“That’s okay. I don’t mind,” Jack said.

“You don’t, huh?” Rian teased.

Jack just squeaked in protest and brought his knees up to his chin, burying his face in them to hide his embarrassment. Rian just laughed and pulled out of his parking space, driving out onto the road. His apartment was only a 15 minute drive into a relatively nice part of Manhattan, not too pricey but enough so that cop cars were around. Rian earned enough to allow him to cover rent, bills and to save money too, so he was happy.

“Alright, this is it. Third floor, apartment C,” Rian smiled, parking his car in the allotted parking space in the basement parking lot.

Jack just nodded, wrapping his arms around his body in a way that made Rian frown, so Rian put his arm around Jack’s waist (because he couldn’t reach his shoulders). Y’know, to make him feel safer. Or warmer. Or whatever. Jack gladly snuggled into Rian’s body as they got into the elevator, not moving or speaking on the ride up to the third floor and into Rian and Zack’s apartment. It was only a basic two bedrooms, one large open plan living-dining-kitchen room and a decent bathroom, but the heating worked and there was a great view of upper Manhattan from the living room window. It was cosy and it was perfect for the two friends that worked from 3pm and didn’t get back until 4am.

“This is really nice,” Jack said warmly.

“It’s home,” Rian shrugged, smiling.

Rian gave Jack a quick tour, pointing out the spare towels, toothbrush and wash cloth, before setting up the futon bed in the living area, letting Jack change into a spare pair of pyjamas in the bathroom.

“Now I know Victoria got you some dinner, but do you want anything to eat or drink?” Rian asked.

“No, I’m fine thanks,” Jack said politely.

Rian tried not to notice how the pyjamas pants, although tied as tight as possible, hung dangerously low around Jack’s thin hips.

“Okay, well if you change your mind, let me know. If you need anything just come into my room and wake me up. I won’t mind, I promise. Are you going to be okay in here?” Rian asked.

“Yeah,” Jack smiled, “Thanks, Rian. No-one’s ever been as nice to me as you are,”

Rian just smiled back. So adorable.

“Goodnight Jack,” Rian said softly.

“Night,” Jack yawned.

Rian smiled again and walked towards his bedroom, waiting until Jack was under the blankets to switch the lights off. He got changed into his own pyjamas before getting into bed too, his thoughts flicking to Jack as he closed his eyes, smiling.

*

The following afternoon, Rian was driving Jack back to Caballeros Cala. It was an hour earlier than usual, so Zack had decided to have a longer lunch and said he’d meet them there when his shift started at 3pm.

“Do I have to meet everybody now?” Jack asked nervously, as they got out of Rian’s car in the parking lot at the back of the building.

“Well, it’s either this or they mob you tonight. The dancers are pretty stubborn when they want to be,” Rian mused.

Jack paled slightly but nodded. His bruises had started to really shine through today, dark mixtures of purple, black and green around his eyes, nose, lips and jaw. It was a ghoulish sight and Jack had started crying when he saw his reflection when he woke up, but Rian had promised that the make-up girls could cover them if he wanted, so that had calmed him down.

Once they were inside, Rian led Jack down a different corridor than yesterday, pausing outside a large white door with stars stuck all over it.

“Alright, I’ll warn you now, they’re all extremely loud. Only William’s a diva really, but Alex can be too, as can Brendon if he’s had an argument with his boyfriend,” Rian explained.

“He has a boyfriend even though he works here?” Jack asked, surprised.

“Doll, this isn’t a brothel! The dancers only strip down to their underwear, no dick or balls are ever on display, so if the dancers can find a guy that accepts their profession then most are okay with it. To be honest though, there are a lot of in-house relationships,” Rian chuckled.

Jack blushed slightly.

“There are?” Jack asked.

“Yeah! There’s Danny and Ian, they’re both dancers, as are Suarez and Nate, then there’s Grieco the dancer and Evan behind the bar, then there’s Jon the bouncer and Spencer behind the bar, and Matt the bouncer and Vinny behind the bar. Garrett the dancer and Kennedy behind the bar have a ‘thing’ with John Ohh the accounts and finance guy, but no-one really knows what’s going on there, or really wants to know. Halvo the sound and lights guy is engaged to Nick the entrance fee guy. Gabe and William used to fuck but Gabe is now fucking Alex, and that’s as close to a relationship as Gabe gets. It’s also probably why William and Alex don’t get on that well. Brendon, one of the dancers, has been dating this guy called Ryan Ross for nearly a year now, and he’s a doctor. He’s actually a doctor in a local hospital that we go to if there’s a medical situation that Victoria can’t deal with here,” Rian explained.

“Is that everyone?” Jack asked curiously, eyes wide in wonder.

“Well…Martin and Zack should be dating, if Zack wasn’t so fucking blinded by his skank of a girlfriend Jess. Martin’s so in love with him that it’s painful, and Zack’s in denial, but whatever,” Rian explained.

Jack stayed silent, confusing Rian slightly.

“You are okay with homosexuality, right?” Rian asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Y-Yeah, I-I’m gay m-myself,” Jack admitted, blushing again.

“Join the club,” Rian winked, making Jack’s eyes widen.

He then pushed the star-covered door open, revealing a glittery chaotic room with more noise than Jack had ever heard.

“RIAN!”

Jack winced at the loud yell, Rian just chuckling.

“GUYS! CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION!” Rian said loudly.

The noise died down to a minimum, making Rian smile.

“I’ve brought Jack with me, the boy from yesterday, but he’s really shy so if you could stay by your mirrors and I’ll bring him around to everyone individually?” Rian suggested.

There were a few grumbles but the noise level went back up, so Rian assumed that was a yes.

“Okay, we’ll start with Martin Johnson. He’s the one that yelled my name,” Rian introduced.

Jack smiled nervously at the tattooed guy with messy dark hair and deep, almost tortured-looking eyes.

“Sorry about that, I just didn’t get to see my Ri-Ri yesterday and I missed him!” Martin said happily.

“I thought I said not to call me that,” Rian groaned.

“You love it babe,” Martin winked.

Jack giggled, making Rian smile.

“I’m 23. I started working here 3 years ago when I dropped out of college just to make a bit of money, but I love it so much that I just haven’t left,” Martin told Jack.

“Y-You like it here?” Jack asked, cocking his head to the side.

“Why wouldn’t I? I’m safe, it’s a fun job, I’ve got Ri-Ri and the rest of the bouncers to look after me and I get to hang out with my friends all day – what’s not to love?” Martin grinned.

“I agree with you there, baby cakes,”

“Finished blowing Gabe then, Alex?” Martin teased, looking at the new arrival.

“I have to pay the rent somehow,” Alex winked.

Jack’s eyes widened in shock, making Rian laugh.

“This is Alex Gaskarth. Alex lives with Gabe now that they’re fucking and Gabe won’t let him pay rent, so Alex stubbornly decided to pay him with sexual favours. He’s also the only Alex in this room that actually goes by his first name – there are two others,” Rian explained.

“O-Oh,” Jack choked.

“Hmm, you’ve got yourself a prude there, Ri-Ri,” Alex smirked.

“Better than a 22 year old slut, Lexy,”

Jack jumped at the new voice, his eyes landing on a big-lipped boy sitting next to Alex, teasing his fringe.

“At least my boyfriend doesn’t give prostate exams to old men for a living,” Alex snapped.

“At least my boyfriend is under 30,” the other boy shot back.

Alex scowled, making Rian, Martin and new guy laugh.

“Jack, meet Brendon Urie,” Rian introduced.

“The one with the doctor boyfriend?” Jack asked.

“That’s me,” Brendon winked, “Nothing better than finding a 26 year old guy who is skilled with his hands, I’ll tell you that,”

“I think we’ll move on before you guys all scare Jack away,” Rian mused.

“Bye Jack!”
“Don’t let Rian hog you all night!”
“It’s great to meet you!”

Jack stammered out a reply before following Rian to the next station.

“You okay so far?” Rian asked softly.

“I-I think so,” Jack nodded.

Rian smiled and stopped next to a boy with a racing stripe in his hair and tattoos on his arms.

“Kurily, you got a second?” Rian asked.

“Always for you, Ri-Ri,” the guy flirted shamelessly.

“What do you guys have with that nickname?!” Rian exasperated, making Jack laugh.

“I’m Danny Kurily, sweetcheeks. And this is my boyfriend, Ian Planet,” racing stripe introduced.

“Hi!” the curly haired guy said cheerfully, “you’re only 18, right Jack?”

Jack nodded hesitantly.

“Cool, I’m only 20, and Grieco in the next station is only 19, so we’re quite close to your age so that means you’re not too much younger than at least some people here!” Ian said with a big smile.

“T-That’s good,” Jack said with a nervous smile.

“Tone down the pep, babe. You’re scaring him,” Danny teased.

“Sorry, love,” Ian said with a grin, pecking Danny’s lips.

“They’ll be distracted now for a good 10 minutes, so let’s move on!” Rian smirked.

Jack blushed a little but nodded, following Jack once more. The next station was the biggest in the room, with four mirrors and guys.

“Alright, this is Alex Grieco, who Ian mentioned just now. Grieco, meet Jack,” Rian smiled.

“Hey new kid. Hey, I’m not the new kid anymore!” Grieco said excitedly.

“You’re still the newest stripper, don’t pee yourself just yet,” said a guy from the next station.

“Fuck off, Bilvy, get that stick out your ass,” Grieco shot back.

Jack’s eyes widened slightly.

“William’s in a bad mood then,” Rian chuckled.

“Yeah, his favourite mascara ran out and no-one has a spare of that exact brand,” Grieco said, rolling his eyes.

“Actually, I have the same brand – it’s just not new and unused,” said a guy with a nose ring in the next seat.

“Typical,” Rian laughed, “Jack, this is Nate Novarro, our very own Southern Gentleman,”

“I aim to please,” Nate winked, making Jack blush.

“We haven’t had a prude in a while!” Grieco giggled.

“Not since…ooh, your boyfriend!” Rian retorted teasingly.

“Evan’s not a prude anymore,” Grieco smirked, wriggling his eyebrows.

“And don’t we all know it!” Nate laughed.

“Okay, moving on! Jack, this is Alex Suarez. He’s 22, like Alex Gaskarth is,” Rian laughed.

“Hey, Jack. You can just call me Suarez. Or Sexy Suarez. Or just Sexy. Whatever takes your fancy,” the light haired guy grinned.

“S-Suarez is fine,” Jack stammered.

“Lost your chance there, Suarez. Not that Nate would ever share you,” the guy to his right teased.

“More of a chance than you’ll ever have Garrett. And Nate wouldn’t have to know,” Suarez retorted.

“Hey!” Nate protested.

“Love you babe,” Suarez said innocently.

“You have a nose ring too,” Jack blurted, looking to Suarez’s right.

Rian, Suarez and Garrett all laughed, Garrett just nodding.

“Indeed I do. Garrett Nickelson, at your service. I’ll have you know that I got mine done before Nate did though,” Garrett mused.

“Noted,” Jack smiled.

“Alright, I’ve gotta introduce you to William at least briefly, and then you can meet Tay and Sierra, the make-up, props and costume girls,” Rian announced.

“Bye Jack! Don’t be a stranger!” Garrett said cheerfully.

Rian led Jack around to the last station, where there was only one dancer and two girls sitting.

“Jack, this is William Beckett. He’s been here…ooh, four years now?” Rian introduced.

“And I haven’t gained a wrinkle,” William smirked.

Rian rolled his eyes, making Jack giggle.

“You probably won’t have to talk to William much, he doesn’t really talk to anyone more than he has to,” Rian told Jack.

“I have to put my full energy into being a star and perfecting my body,” William said seriously.

“You already look pretty perfect,” Jack said hesitantly.

William grinned up at Rian, and Rian groaned,

“I like this one. He can stay,” William announced.

“Well you’re the first person to get William’s approval in less than 10 minutes. That’s an achievement,” Rian teased.

Jack blushed. Again.

“Okay, moving on. The two most beautiful women in the world, Tay Jardine and Sierra Kusterbeck, our two resident make-up, props and costume girls. Without these two, nothing would look as good as it does, despite what William might say,” Rian introduced dramatically, making Jack laugh.

“I’m Tay. You poor baby!” the girl with the darker hair said.

“Sierra. When Vicky told us you were beaten up badly, when didn’t imagine this bad!” the other girl said.

But it’s nothing a little make-up can’t hide for now,” Tay added, smiling.

“T-Thanks,” Jack said shyly.

“Oh you are just so cute!” Sierra gushed.

“Tay and Sierra tend to mother people,” Rian warned.

Jack blushed slightly but nodded.

“Can we keep him? Pleeease Ri-Ri?” Tay whined.

“Well I’ve got to introduce Jack to the bar staff and the rest of the bouncers first, but he can stay out here tonight? If you’d like, Jack?” Rian suggested.

“Y-Yeah, I think that could be fun,” Jack nodded.

“Great, it’s a plan,” Rian beamed.

3 hours later, and Rian had just escorted Jack back to the dancers’ room before heading back out to the floor to start the night. Jack hadn’t freaked out upon meeting Nick Santino the entrance fee guy, Eric Halvorsen the sound and lights guy, John O’Callaghan the accounts and finance guy, all the burly bouncers (Zack Merrick, Michael Guy Chislett, Andy ‘The Butcher’ Mrotek, Jon Walker, Matt Flyzik, Jeff Maker and Matt Colussy) or even the boisterous bartenders (Spencer Smith, Paul DiGiovanni, Kennedy Brock, Evan Kirkendall and Vinny Petrocelli). In fact, Jack seemed to be coping pretty well. The only thing that gave away his nerves was that he wouldn’t budge from Rian’s side, even grabbing Rian’s hand when Vinny rushed forwards to hug him. It had been a pretty successful night so far.

Maybe Jack would fit in at Caballeros Cala after all.

*

3 weeks after Jack’s mugging, he felt brave enough to venture out from the backstage area during the evening, now that his bruises had faded to a light greeny-yellow colour, and it only required a tiny amount of foundation make-up from Tay to be able to cover them. Rian had immediately offered Jack to spend the night at his side, getting to learn the workings of the club from him while Rian actually worked, and Gabe said as long as Rian didn’t get too distracted, that Jack could stay by his side all night.

So here he was.

Tonight’s theme was ‘country and western’ (Gabe lost a bet to Victoria about something to do with cars, a dog and a popsicle stick – no-one asked them to explain – and this theme was his forfeit) so all the dancers were wearing either tiny denim shorts or assless denim chaps, with a plaid shirt of various colours and a Stetson. Alex was first on tonight, strutting out to the sound of Carrie Underwood’s ‘Before He Cheats’.

“So how does it work? Each dancer does more than one song, right? With 10 dancers, how are the opening hours of 5pm until 3am filled up?” Jack asked, settling himself against the wall next to Rian.

Rian laughed at Jack’s curiosity, pecking the side of his head gently before looking out at the customers filling the main floor, missing Jack’s blush. Alex swayed his hips with his back to the crowd, his black thong displayed through his assless chaps, creating a wave of cheers.

“The club may open at 5pm, but as you can see the first dance isn’t until 6pm. Each dance is 5 minutes long, and then there’s a 20 minute break until the next dance, to allow people to get a refill on their drinks and talk amongst themselves etc. Everyone dances once, the last of the 10 dancers finishing at 9.50, and then there’s a 40 minute break until 10.30 where everyone dances their second dance, but in a different order of people. The last dancer finishes at 2.20, and then the dancers can socialise with the customers until 3pm if they wish, talking and getting more tips if there are particularly generous people in, but there isn’t a sex culture here – no-one goes home with a customer and no-one goes into a backroom with a customer here. Gabe just doesn’t allow it because we’re not a full-nudity strip club and therefore it would bring a bad reputation on the club if he did allow that. Gabe doesn’t allow private dances anymore, like if a dancer came over to the table etc, because not all the dancers are comfortable with that and there was an incident in the first month when Gabe opened CC years ago, where one of the dancers was grabbed inappropriately…you can just imagine the chaos. Did you get all of that?” Rian asked kindly.

“I, uh, think so,” Jack nodded, smiling.

Rian smiled back and returned his gaze to the floor. Alex had now pulled off his shirt and thrown it behind him, and was now spinning around the pole in the centre of the stage, the baby oil on his torso shining in the stage lights.

“Oh wow. Alex sure is flexible,” Jack murmured, his eyes focussed completely on how Alex had somehow twisted his leg high up above his head on the pole while he slid down it.

“He’s also pissed that Gabe put him on first tonight so he’s showing off his skills even more than usual to make Gabe horny so that can have super amazing make-up sex before Alex’s next performance,” Rian commented.

Jack’s eyebrows shot up, his eyes wide in shock. Rian just laughed.

“Those were Alex’s words, not mine. I just happened to be the person unfortunately caught in his rant when he left Gabe’s office at 4pm. Gabe always watches Alex’s performances from Halvo’s booth so Alex will get what he wants,” Rian mused.

Jack blushed slightly, only making Rian smile. So innocent!

“Who’s on next?” Jack asked, eyes wide as Alex gracefully lowered himself down from the pole, going into double splits.

“Next is Danny. Then it’s Garrett, Suarez, Nate, William, Grieco, Brendon, Ian, Martin…and then they do their second dance of the night, but in a different order. Uh…hang on, I’ll just show you my list,” Rian said, reaching into his pocket.

“Are you allowed to do that?” Jack asked, glancing around the room to check that no-one was watching.

Rian just shrugged, handing it over with a smile.

6.00 – 6.05 Alex
6.25 - 6.30 Danny
6.50 – 6.55 Garrett
7.15 – 7.20 Suarez
7.40 – 7.45 Nate
8.05 – 8.10 William
8.30 – 8.35 Grieco
8.55 – 9.00 Brendon
9.20 – 9.25 Ian
9.45 – 9.50 Martin

BREAK.

10.30 – 10.35 Grieco
10.55 – 11.00 Suarez
11.20 – 11.25 Brendon
11.45 – 11.50 Garrett
12.10 – 12.15 Alex
12.35 – 12.40 Danny
1.00 – 1.05 Ian
1.25 – 1.30 Martin
1.50 – 1.55 William
2.15 – 2.20 Nate


“All through the performances people are allowed to slide money into the dancer’s underwear, but if they touch them inappropriately, they get a warning from the bouncer by the stage. Three warnings in a night and they’re asked to leave and not come back for the rest of the night. This doesn’t happen all that often though, to be honest. The tips are pretty decent normally too,” Rian explained, taking the list back from Jack.

Jack nodded, returning to watch Alex dance. All through the performances, he kept Rian entertained by giving a commentary on the dancers.

Danny.

“How does Danny get such perfect abs? They just…look so amazing when he dances,” Jack pouted.

“Apparently it’s a mixture of vigorous sex and 100 sit-ups in the morning and 100 sit-ups before bed,” Rian explained.

“I like the sex part but not the sit-ups part,” Jack grimaced.

“I thought you were a virgin?” Rian teased.

Jack blushed heavily. “Shut up,”

Garrett.

“How…How can he hold himself upside down on the pole with just one leg? Not even any hands?!” Jack asked incredulously.

“With a lot of practice. He falls a lot,” Rian snickered.

“Ouch,” Jack frowned.

Suarez.

“I’ve never seen anyone move their hips like that before,” Jack said, in awe.

“He doesn’t get called Sexy Suarez for nothing,” Rian winked.

Jack just blushed.

Nate.

“I like the smirk he wears. It’s almost as if he’s saying to the audience that he’s got a secret that they don’t know but they just have to find out,” Jack said, cocking his head to the side.

“I’ve never heard that before. I think Nate just likes to smirk,” Rian laughed.

“Oh. Fair enough,” Jack giggled.

William.

“He’s…He’s so graceful! It’s like one long lean body that just runs in one smooth plain! Fuck!” Jack gasped.

“William told you he focuses on looking perfect – he wasn’t joking,” Rian teased.

“That’s not my kind of perfect,” Jack mumbled.

“Oh yeah?” Rian smirked.

Jack blushed. “I like a guy with a little more muscle…broader shoulders…and not as girly hips. I already have girly hips, it would be weird if the guy I was with did too,”

Rian just grinned to himself. He had all those qualities Jack just described – maybe he could be in with a chance after all. No! Focus on work!

Grieco.

“That’s so cool! Every time I try to get shorts off I always stumble or do it awkward and always look like an idiot – I could never do it while rolling my hips!” Jack grinned.

“I bet you could with practice,” Rian purred.

Jack’s breath hitched in his throat, only making Rian laugh softly. That was too easy.

Brendon.

“Holy shit, Brendon has a perfect apple butt,” Jack gasped, eyes transfixed on Brendon’s assless chaps.

“Brendon’s ass is his pride and joy,” Rian mused.

“If I had an ass like that, mine would be too,” Jack agreed.

Ian.

“Wow. He just oozes sex appeal. Like, really. Fuck, his hair even looks like he just had sex,” Jack said, impressed.

“He probably just did – Danny’s his boyfriend? They can’t keep their hands off each other?” Rian reminded.

“Oh, yeah, um…well, he looks like he’s having fun up there!” Jack said, blushing.

Rian snorted. Jack’s such a prude.

Martin.

“Zack literally isn’t taking his eyes off of Martin. Like, he not watching the tables at all,” Jack said, eyebrows raised.

“Martin knows that. He doesn’t dance for the customers. He dances for Zack. He dances to show Zack what he’s missing, what he could have if Zack broke up with that skank,” Rian said.

“You really don’t like Jess, do you?” Jack laughed.

“No-one does, she’s a bitch. Zack works long hours here, you know that, and all she does is complain about it. Actually, all she does is complain and whine and make everything so fucking bitter, even when she’s here. Martin would be so much better for Zack, and they both know that. Zack just won’t admit it,” Rian sighed.

“I think they will be together one day. The intensity in Zack’s eyes proves that,” Jack said simply.

“I hope you’re right,” Rian said with a weak smile.

Sometimes his best friend was so fucking stubborn.

The song ended with Martin winking at Zack, blowing him a kiss before he grabbed his clothes and walked backstage. The lights went back to normal, and a low volume Dixie Chicks song started playing.

“Okay, now it’s 9.50, so there’s a 40 minute break,” Rian told Jack.

Jack nodded but bit his lip, thinking hard.

“You know you said earlier how ‘the bouncer by the stage’ watches over the dancers and the front tables – what do you mean? Do you all have different roles or something?” Jack asked, cocking his head to the side.

Rian couldn’t help but laugh. To be honest, no-one had ever been so interested in all the exact workings of the club before, at least not to him. But then Jack’s face fell, as if embarrassed, making Rian stop laughing. Whoops.

“S-Sorry. I know I shouldn’t be asking all this while you’re working. I probably shouldn’t be asking it at all. I’m sorry. I’ll stop,” Jack rambled.

Rian immediately shook his head, hooking his finger under Jack’s chin to make sure he stayed looking at him.

“You can ask as much as you like. I was only laughing because it’s refreshing to see someone so interested in my job. So don’t apologise. It was cute,” Rian said warmly.

Jack blushed a little at the compliment but smiled hopefully, so Rian cleared his throat.

“There are 8 bouncers altogether, as you know. Two are out by the front doors, to check IDs and to keep control of the queue etc. That’s Jon and Flyzik tonight. Then there is one by the bar, tonight it’s Colussy, to make sure the bartenders are okay and to make sure any extremely drunk people don’t do anything stupid,”

Rian nodded towards Colussy standing with his arms folded over his chest, eyes focussed on a guy already flirting with Vinny.

“There’s one bouncer posted by the backstage entrance, Jeff is working there tonight, to keep customers out, obviously, but also to be ready to help with anything backstage if needed. He also keeps an eye on the main floor to help with my role,”

Rian nodded to his left to where Jeff was standing not too far away.

“Then there are four on the floor. One is by the entrance doors, Chizzy, to keep an eye on people coming in and out, and to also be on hand if Nick has any problems in the entrance fee booth,”

Rian nodded to the entrance doors opposite them, where Chizzy was leaning against the wall watching customers walking in.

“One is by the stage on the side of the entrance doors, that’s Zack right now, to stop customers sitting around the stage getting grabby and to help a dancer if they, god forbid, fall off,”

Rian nodded to where Zack was standing slightly in the shadows of the stage, his eyes trained on the front line of tables for now.

“One is on the opposite side of the room, to watch over all the tables in general, which is me tonight. And the last bouncer stands right at the back of the room under Halvo’s overhanging booth, Butcher’s our man tonight, to watch over the entire room as well as be ready to lend a hand at the bar if things get rough,”

Rian finished with a nod to where Butcher was standing his eyes slowly scanning the width of the large room.

“During this break we’ll all go backstage in a rota to quickly eat something. It’s the only real break we get, but it’s okay. And we always have a bottle of water by us so we don’t get dehydrated,” Rian explained, pointing to the bottle by his feet.

“Wow. That’s all so important!” Jack said, fascinated.

Rian laughed, bumping his hip slightly against Jack’s.

“It is important, I guess. We each have our own role to play but we get to shift around every couple of days to keep ourselves alert and so we don’t get lazy. I just love knowing that I’m protecting people and that I’m protecting my friends,” Rian said seriously.

“That’s so sweet,” Jack murmured, his eyes wide and honest.

Rian felt his stomach flip slightly at the sincerity of Jack’s words, so he cleared his throat and just smiled.

“I wish I was scary-looking enough to be a bouncer. You guys are so cool,” Jack said wistfully, looking around the room.

“You think I look scary?” Rian mused.

Jack blushed, looking back at Rian.

“Well, no, not you. I’m not scared of you, although I can see why someone could be scared of you because you have these big strong arms and broad shoulders and intense eyes and I really shouldn’t have said that,” Jack rambled, lowering his head in embarrassment.

“It’s okay, I think your word vomit is adorable,” Rian said honestly.

Jack blushed even more, but he did lift his head to look back at Rian. Rian smiled.

“Besides, I think you’re too sweet to be a bouncer – I don’t think you’d be able to break up a fight if it came to it,” Rian mused.

“Probably not, I hate confrontation,” Jack agreed.

“That’s not a bad thing, Jack,” Rian mused.

Jack’s lips spread into a shy smile, one that Rian was almost ashamed to admit made his stomach flip a little more than the other times had. Well that was unexpected.

“Why don’t you go and get a drink from Spencer? Nothing alcoholic obviously, but it’ll be on the house. And you can grab some food from one of the back rooms – Victoria usually brings something in for everyone to grab from,” Rian said.

“Really?” Jack asked, surprised.

“Duh, you’re part of the family, Jack. I thought you’d have figured that out by now,” Rian smiled.

“Okay, thanks. I’ll be right back,” Jack grinned.

Rian unsubtly watched Jack’s ass sway slightly as he walked away, unable to help himself. What? He had a nice ass. Rian smiled slightly as Jack leant over the bar to speak to Spencer, before going back to watching over the customers sitting at the tables. No more than 5 minutes later, Jack had returned with a pint glass filled with diet coke and a sandwich in his hand.

“Jeff told me to give you this. I don’t know what it says,” Jack announced, holding out a slip of paper.

Rian frowned and opened it. Smooth. Jeff saw. Jeff saw Rian watching Jack’s ass as he walked away. Oh wow, that’s embarrassing. Rian snuck a glance at his friend to his left, only to see Jeff looking at him with a smirk and a raised eyebrow. Rian felt his cheeks flush slightly, something which he never did, before he looked back at the tables.

“Is everything okay?” Jack asked worriedly, placing his hand on Rian’s shoulder.

Rian shivered slightly at the contact and looked at Jack. Okay, this needed to stop. Or at least be controlled. He couldn’t lose his cool over a simple touch, or a smile, or an unfairly perfect ass.

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Don’t worry about it. You can wander about, if you like. Don’t feel like you have to stay by my side if you want to look around,” Rian replied.

Jack just shook his head, before smiling shyly. “I like it here just fine,”

Rian smiled. He liked it here too.

*

1 month passed into Jack’s time with the Caballeros Cala family, making it the beginning of October, and he honestly couldn’t remember a time when he was happier. Sure, he had been happy with his mom but with his step-dad around he always felt on edge, especially for the last three years. With his new friends…he felt safe. He felt like he belonged somewhere for the first time in his life. Especially with the bartenders. Before their shifts started, the bartenders would teach Jack combinations for cocktails, and which shots were which, and which wines were which, and which beers were which. Spencer taught Jack how to correctly angle a beer glass when pouring a pint so there wasn’t too much froth. Paul taught Jack a trick to make shot-pouring quicker. Kennedy taught Jack the art of efficiently decorating a cocktail glass. And Evan and Vinny taught Jack a few fancy bottle throwing moves that they use together to put on their own little show.

All the dancers seemed to love Jack too, for his shyness and quiet nature, and for his adorable beauty, and Martin, Alex and Brendon especially flocked around whenever he went into their prep room. And Sierra and Tay always made sure to cover his bruises with light make-up for him so he didn’t feel self-conscious. Victoria always made sure he was eating enough whenever he saw her, so that was nice. Halvo the sound and lights guy was talkative, as was Nick the entrance fee guy. Gabe was always friendly and the accounts guy John Ohh always said hello with a quiet but friendly greeting. The bouncers were all kind to him too. Jack didn’t know whether that was because they felt sorry for him or not, but Zack obviously always talked to him, Chizzy told his stories of his home back in Australia, Butcher talked about tattoos with him, Flyzik talked about Disney after finding out about Jack’s love of Aladdin, Jon liked him because Spencer liked him, and Jeff and Colussy were like the big teddy bear older brothers he never had.

And then there was Rian. Rian, the beautiful modest bouncer that still let Jack crash on his futon sofa every night. Jack wasn’t working yet but he still tried to pay his way by cooking for Rian and Zack, and by cleaning the apartment before they all went to the club, but Rian had been nothing but a gentleman to Jack and he couldn’t have asked for anything more. Of course he wanted more, but Jack knew he wasn’t good enough for Rian, so put himself out there? Why would Rian want an 18 year old runaway nobody like him? Still, he didn’t push Rian’s arm away from his shoulders or his waist whenever they watched TV or generally walked anywhere. Jack liked the feeling of safety and comfort and warmth and fucking happiness that Rian gave him, so he’d take what he could get.

Today though was the day that Jack’s bruises finally stopped showing. He looked almost normal, although he was still on the skinny side. Today Jack was going to ask Gabe for a job at the club, so he could finally start paying Rian back for all the help he’d been giving him. Rian and Zack weren’t needed in the club until 3pm, but Jack caught the bus down there at midday, leaving a note for Rian telling him where he was so he didn’t worry. Only Victoria and John Ohh were in the club when Jack got there, sitting around a table with papers spread in front of them, and they just smiled when Jack walked backstage and up the stairs to the second floor towards Gabe’s office, a door down from John Ohh and Victoria’s shared office and opposite from Halvo’s light and sound booth.

Jack knocked nervously on the door three times before he heard Gabe yell ‘enter’.

“Ah, Jack! You’re here earlier than usual,” Gabe smiled, beckoning Jack to come in.

Jack slowly walked into the room, shutting the door behind him, and sat down in one of the plush chairs opposite Gabe.

“I-I got the bus down here so I could talk to you about something,” Jack admitted.

“Yeah?” Gabe mused.

“I-I know I don’t have many skills or much experience, but I was w-wondering if I-I could apply for a j-job here. I just…I really love being here and everyone’s been so nice and I’ll work really hard, I promise,” Jack rambled.

“Well, everyone does seem to love you, and Kennedy and Paul both told me how you mastered cocktails and shots quickly…well, how about we put you on a two week trial behind the bar, hmm? You’ll work the same hours as everyone else, but you’ll only have half-pay until the trial period is over, and then if you’re happy and everyone else is happy we’ll see about making you permanent staff. How does that sound?” Gabe asked.

Jack couldn’t stop the smile that spread over his face.

“T-That sounds amazing, thank you!” Jack gushed.

“No problem. I’ve never seen anyone take such a shine to a new person here like they have to you. Especially Rian,” Gabe mused.

“What do you mean? Rian gets on with everyone,” Jack frowned.

“Ah, yes, but Rian doesn’t make sure that everyone else is okay every hour, does he?” Gabe smirked.

Jack blushed slightly. He didn’t really know how to react to that. Gabe just laughed.

“So shy! Okay, well, how about you go and talk to Victoria about getting you a uniform, and I’ll sort out your details with John Ohh. What are you bank account details so John can set up your file?” Gabe asked.

“Uh, I don’t have a bank account,” Jack mumbled.

Jack had reapplied for an ID a week into being at the club, because of his last being taken during the mugging, so at least he had that now. Gabe’s eyebrows shot up in surprise though, but he covered that quickly with a smile.

“I’m sure Rian won’t mind a quick trip into the city with you. I’ll call him now,” Gabe said.

“Y-You don’t have to. He’s probably busy,” Jack said quickly.

“Too busy for you? Never,” Gabe winked.

Jack blushed and chewed his bottom lip as Gabe dialled a number on the desk phone, winking at Jack as the call was answered.

“Hey Rian…yeah, Jack’s here…hah yeah he’s fine, he was just applying for a job…mmhmm, he’ll have a two week trial behind the bar before he’s made permanent…yes, he’s fine! Completely fine…well he needs a bank account for John Ohh to pay his wages into…yeah, doesn’t have one…will you? I told Jack you wouldn’t mind…okay, see you in 15 minutes…adios!”

Gabe put the phone down with a grin.

“Your knight in shining armour is on his way,” Gabe teased, fluttering his eyelashes.

Jack blushed furiously, biting his bottom lip, only making Gabe laugh again.

“Go talk to Victoria about your uniform. I’ve got some calls to make,” Gabe mused.

Jack nodded and left the office quickly, heading back downstairs to find the backstage manager. He didn’t know what to think about what Gabe had said. Rian…Rian didn’t pay him any more attention than he did to anyone else, right? Surely Gabe was just imagining things. Right?

5 o’clock came around and Jack stood behind the bar nervously, dressed in a plain black t-shirt, a pair of black chinos, a pair of the black smart shoes and a dark red waistcoat, just like the other 5 bartenders. When he and Rian had driven into the city earlier in the afternoon, Gabe had given Rian a list, which Rian had only smiled at. It turned out that Gabe had bought 7 plain black t-shirts, 2 pairs of black chinos, a smart pair of black shoes and a ‘company’ cellphone for Jack that Rian had been instructed to pick up for him. Jack tried to protest but Rian said that Gabe’s word is law and that he’d better get used to that. Jack had also protested to Gabe when they got back to the club, but Gabe had just said that it wasn’t charity because Jack was part of the family now and family help each other out. The cellphone had a one year contract, which Jack could then renew himself when he had money of his own. Jack felt it was all a bit too much really, but eventually accepted it in quiet. He would find a way to pay everyone back, he really would. And now he had his own bank account too! What a change it was from 4 months ago when he’d left Baltimore.

But yes, Jack was standing behind the bar waiting for his first ever shift to start. He was on the end with Vinny next to him, so at least his evening wouldn’t be boring.

“Looking good, Jack,”

Jack blushed slightly as Rian appeared next to him in his black shirt and black chinos.

“Th-Thanks. I didn’t think you were on bar duty for another week,” Jack said, cocking his head to the side.

Rian smiled slightly.

“I asked Gabe if I could be posted at the bar for the next two weeks, and he agreed,” Rian admitted.

“Why?” Jack asked, confused.

“Someone’s got to watch over you while you’re starting out,” Rian grinned.

“Aww how sweet,” Vinny and Evan cooed, overhearing him.

Rian just laughed, Jack blushing heavily.

“Good luck tonight, Jack. You’ll be great,” Rian said warmly, leaning up and pecking a kiss to Jack’s temple.

Jack felt shivers tremor though his entire body, his blush heightening even more.

“Thanks,” Jack smiled.

Then the first few customers walked in and headed over to the bar, the other bartenders stepping backwards to let Jack take their orders. It was show time.

*

1 week of Jack’s trial behind the bar passed, and he honestly couldn’t be more contented. He hadn’t messed up too much with drink orders and prices, which the other 5 bartenders praised him for, and with Rian next to him all night every night? He felt like the luckiest man in the world. Jack had sorted out with John Ohh, the accounts guy, that he would get paid cash in hand at the end of the two weeks trial, and then (if everything carried on as well as it was) he was get put in their regular monthly pay system, the money going straight into his account. Jack was even allowed to keep any tips that customers gave him, which so far he’d spent on a shopping trip that Rian had forced him to go on with Martin, Alex and Brendon. It turned out to be a good thing though because while Jack was out, Zack and Rian moved in an old dresser with three drawers into the living room for him, placed between their two bedroom doors, so at least he had somewhere to put his new clothes.

Jack had friends, a place to live and money in his pocket. How could he be happier?

“Fuck, fucking hell,” Jack whimpered, curling up under the blankets a little more.

Well, right now he could be happier if the horrendous storm outside stopped. Ever since he was a little kid, any time that raging winds, relentless rain, crashing thunder and cracking lightning happened all at once, he was reduced to a sobbing shaking mess. He’d tried all sorts of things to grow out of the fear, but nothing had ever worked. Jack had woken up at the first sound of thunder and immediately knew that he wouldn’t get anymore sleep tonight. Half an hour later, he wished there was someone to hold him and comfort him, just like his mom used to whenever there was a storm. But who?

Jack’s mind travelled back to what Rian had said to him when Jack had first slept in the apartment. If you need anything just come into my room and wake me up. I won’t mind, I promise. Would that still count now? Would Rian mind if Jack came into his room now, just because he was scared? He probably would. Jack shouldn’t go and wake him up.

A crack of thunder, a flash of lightning.

Jack yelped and scrambled out of bed, running into Rian’s room without a second thought, closing the door behind himself quietly. Fuck. He’d already come this far, he might as well continue.

“R-Rian?” Jack asked nervously, walking towards the bed.

Rian stirred from his sleep with a grunt, his eyes fluttering open slowly, confused to see Jack.

“Jack? What’s wrong?” Rian frowned.

Another crash of thunder. Jack whimpered, making Rian worry.

“Are you scared of storms?” Rian asked softly.

Jack swallowed heavily but nodded, his cheeks heating up with embarrassment. No 18 year old should be scared of thunder and lightning, yet here he was, scampering to Rian to protect him. Rian smiled sadly and beckoned Jack to come towards him.

“Do you want to sleep in here with me? No funny business, I promise,” Rian asked, trying to lighten Jack’s mood.

Jack blushed for different reason this time. He’d get to sleep in the same bed as Rian? Fuck yes.

“T-That would be nice. Thank you,” Jack stammered.

Rian smiled and pulled back the duvet on the other side of his bed, and Jack wasted no time in running round and diving under. Rian laughed softly, shaking his head in amusement.

“Goodnight Jack,” he murmured.

Rian got a muffled response back seeing as Jack’s head was under the covers, and he smiled. He honestly didn’t think Jack could get anymore adorable, and now he does this? So cute. Rian closed his eyes and forced himself to relax in an attempt to go back to sleep, but then an even louder crack of thunder sounded, a big flash of lightning following straight after, and Rian felt Jack flinch and heard him whimper.

“S-Sorry,” Jack choked.

Was he…crying? Without hesitating, Rian reached over and pulled Jack into his arms, holding him tightly. Jack made a soft sound of surprise but immediately snuggled into Rian’s chest, burying his face into the crook of Rian’s neck. Rian didn’t have to move to know that the damp on his skin was Jack’s tears, and that saddened him.

“It’s okay, Jack. It’s just a storm. You’re safe in here,” With me.

“I really am sorry, Rian. I’m so pathetic! I shouldn’t be crying and scared of a fucking storm, but I can’t help it!” Jack wailed softly, clutching at Rian’s t-shirt with both hands.

“Hey, ssh, you’re not pathetic, okay? Everyone’s scared of something, and so what if your fear is storms? It’s okay, just try to get some sleep. I’m not going anywhere,” Rian soothed.

Jack hesitated slightly before nodding, taking a minute or two to stop himself crying and shaking.

“Thank you,” he mumbled.

Rian just smiled and kissed the top of his head, sliding his arms further around Jack’s waist so one arm was hugging him properly and the other was rubbing Jack’s back gently. Jack only whimpered a few more times before his breathing evened out and his body relaxed in Rian’s hold. Rian smiled a little more and pressed another gentle kiss to the top of Jack’s head, before closing his eyes once more. Unsurprisingly, it didn’t take him long to fall asleep too.

*

“Can I get everyone’s attention please!” Gabe said loudly.

All 30 employees of Caballeros Cala turned to look at Gabe. He’d told them that once the club was cleaned and the dancers were dressed again, that he wanted everyone to convene in front of the bar. So here they all were.

“Thanks. Okay, so I think you all know that today marks the end of Jack’s two week trial,” Gabe grinned.

Everyone cheered, Jack just leaning into Rian’s body as he blushed deeply. Rian laughed and slid his arm around Jack’s waist. It was no secret that the two of them had grown closer, but no-one apart from them knew (and Rian suspected Zack knew) that Jack had been sleeping in Rian’s bed every night for the past week. Nothing other than innocent sleeping, with Jack snuggled against Rian’s body and Rian’s arms wrapped around him, but it was still more than they’d had before. Neither had spoken about it to the other, it just seemed to happen that Jack would walk into Rian’s room a few hours after they got back from work and crawl into bed next to him, because neither really knew what to say. They didn’t want it to stop, fuck no, but they both knew it meant something important.

“And I thought I’d let you all know that Jack is now a permanent bartender!” Gabe announced.

Everyone cheered again, a few people patting Jack’s shoulder. Jack smiled shyly at Rian, biting his lip slightly. Then something clicked in Rian’s head. Jack already knew that he was being kept on. He knew and Rian didn’t?

“You didn’t tell me,” Rian murmured.

“I wanted it to be a surprise,” Jack said softly, his eyes filled with worry, in case he’d upset Rian.

Rian sighed but nodded, squeezing Jack’s hip lightly. He would’ve liked to have heard it from Jack himself, to be honest.

“I’m just glad you’re staying,” Rian replied.

And when Rian pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek, Jack knew beyond all doubt that he was glad too.

“Shots for everyone!” Victoria cried out.

“Fuck yeah!” Gabe grinned, hopping over to the other side of the bar.

Jack hung onto Rian as everyone crowded around the bar, Gabe and Victoria passing around various shots.

“I’ve never had a shot before,” Jack admitted quietly, accepting a clear liquid from Victoria.

Rian took one too and sniffed Jack’s drink, before laughing.

“That’s sambuca. It tastes like aniseed? Liquorice? You’ll be feeling it tomorrow if you have a few,” Rian mused.

Jack glanced down at the shot warily, so Rian smiled.

“You don’t have to take it if you don’t want to. No-one will force you,” he said softly.

Well, Alex, Martin and Brendon might try to make him, but Rian could fend them off easily.

“N-No, I do want to…I just…I don’t want to look like an idiot,” Jack admitted, his cheeks burning.

Rian laughed and bumped his hip against Jack’s.

“I’ll be right by your side, I promise,” Rian said firmly.

Jack’s eyes searched his face for any trace of a lie, before he nodded. Good.

“Okay Jack, seeing as you’re the newbie, you have to take one by yourself, and then we’ll all do one in a toast,” Gabe said.

Jack looked at Rian worriedly, but Rian just smiled reassuringly, holding onto him a little tighter. He really wasn’t going anywhere. Jack lifted the shot glass to his lips and closed his eyes before opening his mouth and tilting his head back, pouring the shot straight down his throat. He spluttered slightly as it warmed his throat, making everyone laugh softly, but he smiled when he composed himself, only making Rian smile too.

“Takes it like a fucking pro,” Ian grinned, winking.

Jack blushed as everyone laughed again, ducking his head in embarrassment. Victoria passed him another shot, this time it was green.

“Apple sourz. It’s a little less strong,” Rian murmured, before Jack could even ask.

Jack just nodded his head.

“I’d like to make the toast?” Zack said, looking at Gabe.

Gabe nodded, curious to see why Zack, who rarely spoke in general, would want to speak now.

“Alright! This toast is dedicated to Jack, because not only has he become a fast friend of everyone here at CC, blending in with our crazy little family so easily, but also because he’s cleaned mine and Rian’s apartment more times than it’s ever been cleaned since we moved in! Oh, and also because Jack’s been sleeping in Rian’s bed all week and they both think I haven’t noticed. Cheers!” Zack said cheerfully.

Rian groaned but downed his shot along with everyone else, glancing at Jack hesitantly.

“You’ve been sharing a bed?”
“Share the dirty details!”
“I didn’t think you’d have it in you, Barakittykat,”
“Rian, you sly dog!”
“You should’ve told us the two of you were fucking!”

Jack’s face was burning a scarlet red, his eyes wide and helpless, so Rian cleared his throat, glaring slightly at Zack.

“We’re not fucking. We’re just sharing a bed. That’s it,” Rian said loudly.

A chorus of groans sounded.

“That’s it? Seriously?” Alex whined.

“Yes, that’s it,” Rian nodded.

Until Jack wants more. No, he couldn’t think that. Jack was just 18. He wouldn’t know what he wants.

Grumbles and mutters sounded all around them, but Rian ignored them, just looking at Jack, who looked a little upset but a little relieved too.

“Thanks, Rian,” Jack mumbled in his ear, his hand squeezing over Rian’s slightly where it still rested on his hip.

“It wasn’t fair for you to be embarrassed like that,” Rian muttered.

“It’s okay, I know that’s just how everyone is here,” Jack sighed.

“Still doesn’t mean that you should have to go through that,” Rian shrugged.

Jack smiled weakly, leaning into Rian’s body a little more. Rian didn’t complain.

“$20 they’ll be fucking by the end of the year,” Danny said suddenly.

“Nuh uh, by the end of the month,” Spencer replied, grinning.

“By Rian’s birthday!” Garrett smirked.

“By mid-November!” Brendon giggled.

Rian rolled his eyes, but couldn’t help smiling as Jack giggled too. He didn’t care if their friends made bets about them, he just cared that Jack was okay. And if Jack was laughing at it? Well, he could handle that.

*

“See you tomorrow guys,” Brendon grinned, blowing a kiss.

“Have fun riding Ryan!” Grieco shouted back.

Jack giggled, sitting down at the bar to wait for his Rian. Well, not his Rian…but whatever. It was a nice thing to pretend. Nearly everyone had gone home now, but Grieco, Ian, Danny, Tay and Sierra were still hanging around the bar area, the three dancers waiting for Evan to drive them back to their shared apartment, Tay and Sierra hanging around for fun. Jack smiled as Rian walked over to him, clearly tired but smiling back.

“I’ve just got to help Halvo shift some gear for tomorrow, and then we can go home, okay?” Rian told him.

“Is Zack helping?” Jack asked.

“Nah, he’s gone to Jess’s place for the night already,” Rian replied, rolling his eyes.

“Whore,” Sierra coughed, making them laugh.

Rian pressed a kiss to Jack’s forehead, before walking backstage, blushing as Ian wriggled his eyebrows at him.

“I can’t believe Halloween is tomorrow! It’s come around so quick,” Sierra said suddenly.

“I know! Remember the year we persuaded all the bouncers to dress up as Terminator robots?” Tay grinned.

“Fuck yeah, those make-up effects were so cool!” Grieco laughed.

“I still like the year Evan was forced to dress in lycra hotpants and a tight-as-fuck t-shirt because Grieco ripped his costume,” Danny snickered.

“I still maintain that it was a mistake and that I didn’t want to see his perfect ass and beautiful dick amazingly outlined in clingy purple lycra,” Grieco smirked.

“I haven’t celebrated Halloween since I was 15. My step-dad said only worthless faggots dress up and celebrate it,” Jack commented, looking down at his hands.

His five friends shared sad smiles. They didn’t know much about Jack, but they knew his step-dad was the reason he left home.

“Well this year you’re going to celebrate,” Ian said decisively.

“Huh? Where?” Jack frowned.

“Here! Gabe loves Halloween so when the club closes it at 3am, we get to drink as much as we like, on the house, until we pass out or go home. We all wear costumes for the night as it is, so it’s like our own celebration,” Danny explained.

“It’s super fun,” Tay added.

“Maybe Rian will come this year,” Grieco said suddenly.

“What do you mean this year?” Jack asked, confused.

Surely Rian came to the party every year?

“Well he normally leaves straight away after the club closes because Zack always goes to his girlfriend’s and Rian gives him a ride,” Ian said, rolling his eyes.

“But why this year?” Jack repeated.

“You’re here, duh,” Danny smirked.

“Rian will stay if you do,” Grieco nodded, smirking too

Jack bit his bottom lip, thinking about it. Maybe a Halloween celebration would be fun…and if Rian came too? Definitely fun.

“I don’t have a costume,” Jack said finally.

Danny, Ian and Grieco whooped, while Tay and Sierra just clapped their hands together.

“Honey, you just leave that to us,” Sierra smiled.

“Come in early at 2pm, and we’ll sort you out,” Tay giggled.

Jack immediately wondered what he’d let himself in for.

The next night came quicker than Jack had thought, and soon enough he found himself behind the bar, dressed in an open purple waistcoat showing his bare chest, a pair of white baggy harem pants with a brown sash at the top, a pair of brown pointed boots and a purple fez – yes, he was dressed as Aladdin. At first Jack had thought Tay and Sierra were playing a joke on him, dressing him like this, but with how Rian’s eyes roved over his body when he’d first seen Jack’s costume, Jack couldn’t be happier. Attention from Rian? Fuck yes.

Like Danny had said, everyone was dressed in a costume. The 8 bouncers were the only employees all wearing the same thing; blue jeans, white v-neck tees and red letterman jackets with the words ‘Caballeros Cala’ on the back instead of a surname (that’s right, they were jocks). Every other employee, including the backstage staff and Gabe, was dressed in something different, ranging from a vampire to a robot to a school girl. Even the customers had dressed up; Jack could honestly say that he’d never seen anywhere that had gotten so involved in Halloween before. And he loved it.

By the end of the night, Jack was quite excited to celebrate with his friend in the club. All he had to do was persuade Rian to stay too.

“I’ll be right back, I promise,” Jack said quickly to Spencer-the-Zombie.

Spencer smiled and nodded, so Jack quickly hopped over the back and made his way over to Rian. Jack tried not to blush at the way Rian’s eyes lit up when he noticed Jack.

“Hey, doll. Are you having fun?” Rian asked sweetly.

“Yeah, it’s been awesome. But, um, I wanted to ask you something,” Jack said hesitantly.

“Go for it,” Rian encouraged.

Jack decided to be blunt about it.

“Will you stay at the after party with me? I know you don’t usually stay but I don’t know if I’ll have as much fun if you’re not here and I really want to go…” Jack trailed off from his ramble, biting his bottom lip, feeling stupid.

“You really want me to stay?” Rian asked softly.

“Yeah, I do,” Jack nodded, looking at Rian with wide hopeful eyes.

“Okay, sure. I’ll stay,” Rian smiled.

“R-Really? Thanks!” Jack said excitedly.

Rian just laughed, smiling a little more, so Jack took a chance and kissed Rian’s cheek quickly before scampering back behind the bar to clean up. He couldn’t believe he’d just done. He just kissed Rian’s cheek. But it was so worth it. Now he just wanted more.

Half an hour later, when everything was cleaned up, the real celebration began. Rian had surprised everyone by staying for once, but as soon as Jack smiled happily at him, they knew why. Rian ignored their smirks, content to just stick by Jack’s side, talking to Zack and Martin. Yes, Zack had stayed too instead of going to his girlfriend’s, because he’d had an argument with Jess and didn’t want to talk to her. So naturally, Martin had immediately glued himself to Zack’s side and was making the most of Zack’s tendency to grope when he had alcohol in his system.

Rian stayed out of it. Not his problem.

It only took 2 hours of Paul and Kennedy constantly topping up Jack’s drink and giving him shot after shot for him to be curled up drunkenly in Rian’s lap where a few of them were sitting at a table, chattering happily to Baywatch Nate and Vegas Show Girl Garrett. Rian stayed silent, sticking to sodas so he stayed sober, mainly just watching an oblivious Jack. There was just something about Jack that captivated him, and he didn’t know what that was yet. He was just glad it was Sunday tomorrow and that they had the day off – Jack would need the rest time for his hangover. When Jack waved his arms a little too animatedly and nearly fell off Rian’s lap, Rian knew that Jack had had enough to drink.

“Riiian! That’s my rum!” Jack whined, as Rian took the glass out of his hand, making everyone who overheard laugh.

“You need to slow down, Jack. I don’t think you need to get any drunker,” Rian murmured in his ear.

Jack’s cheeks heated up in embarrassment. “Oh,”

“I didn’t mean it like that. I just don’t want you to hurt yourself,” Rian said softly.

Jack twisted is head to look in Rian’s eyes, before nodding. Rian was just trying to look out for him, after all.

“We don’t have to go home, do we?” Jack slurred.

Rian smiled at the fact that Jack called his apartment ‘home’.

“No, doll, not if you don’t want to,” Rian replied.

Jack thought about it for a second, before nodding enthusiastically.

“I want to go,” Jack announced.

“Are you sure?” Rian frowned.

Jack just nuzzled his face into Rian’s neck, his lips ghosting over the skin. Well that made it an easy decision. Without hesitating, Rian scooped Jack up in his arms, mumbling to Zack that they were leaving. Zack had Martin straddling his hips as they talked – he wasn’t going anywhere. It wasn’t easy getting Jack into the car, but it didn’t take long to get back to the apartment. Jack had sobered up enough to walk upright, so with Rian’s arm around his waist, the two of them got into the elevator and headed up. Rian tried to ignore Jack’s hands tracing over his stomach, back and hips, but when Jack’s hands slid up to cup his face when they were in front of the sofa, Rian froze.

“W-What are y…”

“Ssh,” Jack murmured, smiling softly.

Rian didn’t have time to question Jack again, because Jack pressed his lips firmly to Rian’s, making Rian lose all thoughts other than holy fucking fuck. Jack made a soft noise of content in the back of his throat, kissing Rian eagerly, and all Rian could do was grip onto Jack’s bare hips tightly, kissing back just as eagerly. Of all the times he’d imagined kissing Jack (and there were plenty), he’d never thought that Jack’s lips would be the perfect balance of soft and demanding, or that his hands would be slightly rough with a few calluses. It was completely different to how Rian had ever imagined it – it was better.

But the moment that Jack’s tongue pushed into his mouth, toying with his own, Rian broke the kiss, stepping backwards. No. He couldn’t. Not when Jack was drunk.

“W-What’s wrong?” Jack asked, biting his bottom lip.

“We can’t, Jack,” Rian mumbled.

“Why?” Jack whimpered.

Fuck. The hurt in Jack’s eyes made Rian want the ground to swallow him whole. But he had to do this. For Jack’s sake.

“Not while you’re drunk. I can’t take advantage of you like this,” Rian said softly.

“But you’re not taking advantage! I want this!” Jack insisted.

“No, Jack. I can’t,” Rian said firmly.

Jack’s face crumpled, like he was about to burst into tears, and he walked into the bathroom before Rian could say anything. Rian wanted to run after him, wanted to apologise, but the moment was gone.

“Fuck,” Rian groaned, running his hand over his head.

Jack had been kissing him, what he’d wanted for so long – but he’d done the right thing, right? Not kissing Jack while Jack was drunk? Rian couldn’t be so sure.

*

Jack didn’t sleep in Rian’s room that night.

*

Over the next couple of days Jack didn’t talk to Rian. He went round to Brendon’s house on their day off to avoid Jack. And he didn’t talk to him anywhere after that. Not in the car to and from work, not at work and certainly not while they were in the apartment. And it wasn’t through Rian’s lack of trying either. Every time Rian tried to talk to Jack, or even if he started walking in Jack’s direction, Jack would start talking to someone else or find something interesting to do as far away from Rian as possible. It was infuriating and Rian was coming to the end of his patience.

He had been doing Jack a favour! Why couldn’t the 18 year old understand that Rian was trying to do the right thing by not taking advantage of him while he was drunk? It’s not like Rian hadn’t wanted to, oh no. Rian definitely wanted to. But he was trying to preserve the last bit of innocence Jack had. Jack had had enough problems in the last 5 months without having his virtue compromised if he didn’t know what he wanted. Rian was only trying to do the right thing.

But, it seemed Jack didn’t understand that, still refusing to talk to Rian a week after Halloween. Everyone at the club had figured out not to push Rian about it, after having yelled at Danny and Ian (before apologising profusely), and Rian was just getting angrier and angrier. He dreaded to think what would happen if his anger truly exploded.

Tonight Rian was working the outside doors with Jon. And Rian knew straight away by the steely look in Jon’s eyes that Rian wasn’t going to get away with not talking to anyone again tonight. They’d just opened the doors, no customers queuing yet, when Jon turned to him

“So…what’s going on between you and Jack?” Jon asked, folding his arms over his chest.

“Fuck all,” Rian muttered.

“I’m being serious,” Jon said.

“So am I,” Rian retorted.

What? Technically it was the truth. Jack clearly didn’t want anything to do with him now.

“Look, I’m only asking because Spencer said that Jack’s been even more quiet than usual and because Jack’s looked fucking miserable since Halloween. I know that you’re the only person that could affect Jack in this way, so spill,” Jon said firmly.

Rian narrowed his eyes at his friend before sighing. Fine.

“On Halloween, I took Jack home because Jack asked me too. He was drunk. I had no intentions of doing anything but putting him to bed so he could sleep it off. But when we got inside the apartment, Jack kissed me…and I kissed back…”

“Holy fuck, you two finally kissed?” Jon gasped, interrupting.

Rian sent him a withering look.

“Sorry, no interruptions,” Jon promised.

“Good. As I was saying, I started kissing him back but then I realised that I couldn’t do it because he was drunk and the alcohol was clouding his judgements, and I pushed him away. I tried to explain why I’d stopped the kiss but he got upset and stormed into the bathroom and he hasn’t spoken to me since. I was only trying to do the right thing,” Rian explained.

Jon waited all of two seconds before bursting into laughter. Rian’s anger was now teetering on the edge.

“Shut the fuck up, this isn’t funny!” Rian hissed.

“Actually, it’s fucking hilarious. If you thought Jack was only kissing you because he was drunk, you’re even more oblivious than I thought,” Jon snickered.

“Of course he was only kissing me because he was drunk!” Rian snapped.

“You’re kidding me, right? That kid is head-over-heels for you,” Jon smirked.

“You’re just saying that because he goes wherever I go,” Rian said, rolling his eyes.

“No, I’m saying it because he has the option to go with anyone else and he’d rather be with you,” Jon retorted.

“I’m just familiar to him, that’s all,” Rian sighed.

“Well maybe you are, but he could still be familiar with you just at work, couldn’t he? He could’ve moved out of your apartment by now with the money he’s earning, couldn’t he?” Jon pointed out.

“Well yeah, but…”

“No buts. Just talk to the kid. He’s obviously lost enough in his life, he doesn’t need you lost too,” Jon interrupted, staring Rian down.

Rian stared at his friend for a couple of seconds, before sighing.

“What if you’re wrong?” Rian asked quietly.

“What if I’m right?” Jon countered.

Rian bit his bottom lip, thinking over Jon’s words. What if Jack really did want him as more than just a comfort blanket to hold at night? What if the alcohol had brought out the feelings Jack had been hiding?

“Go to him, Ri. I can hold down the front doors for a little while,” Jon urged.

Rian took one look at Jon before nodding, walking inside. Rian ignored everyone’s confused looks at his storming through the club, even more so when he grabbed Jack’s wrist and tugged him from behind the bar to a room backstage. The room that Rian had originally brought Jack into when they’d found him, ironically.

“What the fuck, Rian?” Jack scowled, tugging his arm out of Rian’s grip.

“If that’s what I had to do to get you to talk to me, I would’ve done it a few fucking days ago,” Rian said angrily.

Jack’s scowl faded immediately into a hurt expression, making Rian sigh. He honestly didn’t intend on making Jack upset, at least not straight away.

“Look, I think we need to talk,” Rian said softly.

“Uh, yeah, I guess we do,” Jack mumbled.

Silence.

Rian rubbed the back of his neck.

Jack chewed his bottom lip.

Silence.

“Look, I’m sorry for kissing you, okay? It’s obvious you didn’t want it and I feel really stupid for doing it and I swear it won’t happen again,” Jack blurted.

That’s what Jack thought?!

“Do you really think I didn’t want it?” Rian asked softly.

“Well yeah, because…”

Rian cut Jack’s words off by pressing a slow kiss to his lips, sliding his hand round to the back of Jack’s head to hold him in place. A slow, gentle kiss, not clouded by lust but to show Jack how much he truly cared. Rian broke away after a few seconds, knowing he still needed to explain.

That should’ve been our first kiss,” Rian said softly.

Jack looked too overwhelmed to speak, so Rian continued.

“I didn’t want you to kiss me drunk because I wanted you to be sure it was what you really truly wanted, I was trying to do the right thing! You’ve been treated badly enough in your life without some asshole like me taking advantage of you,” Rian said seriously.

“You’re not an asshole and you weren’t taking advantage of me! And o-of course it’s what I wanted!” Jack insisted.

“I had to be sure, Jack. You’re so young! So young with such promise – you don’t have to stay just because we found you here,” Rian exasperated.

“But what if I want to? What if I want to stay? I finally feel like I fucking belong somewhere and I finally have friends I can trust and then there’s you…”

Jack trailed off, his cheeks blushing slightly.

“Me? What about me?” Rian frowned.

The way Jack looked into his eyes made Rian’s stomach flip.

“You make me happier than I’ve ever been before. You make me feel safer than anyone has, you make me feel loved and you make me want to make you happy,” Jack said honestly.

Silence.

Rian stared at Jack, searching his eyes to try to read his thoughts, his feelings running over his eyes. Nerves. Hope. Excitement. Fear. Relief. Warmth. Love.

“What do you want from me, Jack? Honestly?” Rian asked softly.

Jack blushed.

“I want to be with you,” Jack said quietly, but firmly.

Rian couldn’t stop the small smile that spread across his lips. This…this was actually happening, right? This wasn’t a dream, right?

“You do?” he asked hopefully

“Yeah. I really like you Rian, and I’m not just saying that because you found me and you looked after me. You’re such an amazing person and you make me feel like I’m worth something more than just a runaway,” Jack explained, his signature blush starting to rise on his cheeks.

“That’s because you are worth more. You’re special, to me and to everyone in the club. Especially me,” Rian said firmly.

Jack blushed even more and Rian laughed softly.

“How about…tomorrow we’ll go to lunch, just the two of us, and we can talk things over properly,” Rian suggested.

“Like, a date?” Jack asked shyly.

“Yeah, a date,” Rian nodded, his stomach flipping yet again when he said it.

Jack squealed and threw his arms around Rian’s neck in a firm hug, making Rian laugh but hug him back. He took this as a ‘yes’. Yeah, this felt good. This felt right.

“Is it too much to ask for another kiss?” Jack said suddenly.

“I think I can handle that,” Rian smirked.

Jack grinned and immediately crashed their lips together, making Rian moan softly but clutch at Jack’s body harder. Jack needed this. He knew Jack needed the control, the knowledge that Rian was soon-to-be-his right now. Jack didn’t hesitate to push his tongue past Rian’s lips, Rian’s tongue eagerly twisted with his, their mouths moving eagerly and fluently, like they’d been doing this for years. Rian couldn’t stop his heart beating faster as Jack pressed his body even closer to Rian’s, leaving no space between them at all. This was amazing. This was perfect. This was-

“OH MY GOSH!”

Jack broke the kiss immediately, stepping backwards slightly. Victoria. Shit. Now everyone would know.

“H-Hey,” Jack said nervously, his cheeks heating up in blush.

“Please tell me you two have worked things out?” she squealed.

Rian smiled at Jack, earning a shy smile back.

“We’re getting there,” Rian replied.

“Oh I’m so happy for you guys! I really hate to break up the love, but customers have started coming in and Jon needs you back out front, Rian,” Victoria apologised.

“We’ll be out in a second,” Rian promised.

Victoria squealed again, clapping her hands together, before she left. Rian immediately pulled Jack’s body against his own once more, looking up at the younger boy.

“Lunch tomorrow, yeah?” Rian asked.

“Definitely,” Jack nodded, smiling wider than Rian had ever seen him – and that was saying something.

Rian smiled back and pressed a gentle kiss to Jack’s lips before stepping backwards, the two of them heading back out on the main floor. Rian gave Jack’s hand a squeeze before he headed back out to the front doors, unable to wipe the smile from his lips. Jack kissed him again. Jack wanted him. Jack wanted to be with him. What more could he want?

*

At midday the next day, Rian and Jack walked into Rian’s favourite Italian restaurant hand-in-hand, ready for their date. Rian had been serious. He wanted to talk more to Jack to find out what he really wanted. And to eat, obviously. You can’t lose with eating.

“Hi! Table for two?” the cheerful server asked.

“Yeah,” Rian nodded, smiling at Jack.

Jack just smiled shyly back. Rian would put money on this being Jack’s first date ever.

“Alrighty, follow me. Your waitress will be Becky, she’ll be over to take your drink orders in just a second,” the server said happily, leading the two of them to a secluded booth.

Rian nodded his thanks, taking the menus from her.

“This place is amazing,” Jack gushed.

“The food is great. I love it here,” Rian smiled, glad Jack liked it so far.

They scanned through the menus, but then a blonde girl came over, the same big grin on her face as the server.

“Hi, I’m Becky, I’ll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with any drinks?”

“Uh, I’ll have an unsweetened Ice Tea,” Rian said.

“A Lemonade, thanks,” Jack smiled.

“Sure thing,”

They were left on their own again.

“I’ve never been on a date before,” Jack admitted.

Rian just smiled. He knew he was right.

“I haven’t been on one since college,” Rian replied, smiling.

“You haven’t?” Jack asked, surprised.

“Nope, no dating. I don’t pursue people if they aren’t worth my time, and until you, no-one’s been worth it,” Rian said honestly.

Jack blushed, making Rian chuckle softly.

“I don’t do casual relationships, Jack. I just can’t. I have to be with someone who can dedicate themselves completely to me,” Rian told him.

“I’ve never been in a relationship before, but I don’t think I could do anything just casually,” Jack said honestly.

Rian smiled. Good.

“I’d like to take you on a few more dates before we get into anything serious, if you don’t mind. I want to make sure that you know what you want,” Rian said.

“But I do know what I want,” Jack shrugged.

Rian stared him down until Jack rolled his eyes.

“Okay, if that’s what you want. I’m not going to say no to a few more dates with you,” Jack mused.

“Good,” Rian smiled.

Well…that was easier than he thought it would be. Fuck, he was going to go on more dates with Jack. That should not make his heart beat as fast as it is right now.

“Here are your drinks! Have you decided on your food?”

Rian looked over at Jack while the waitress put down their drinks, and Jack nodded, smiling.

“I’ll have the spaghetti carbonara,” Rian smiled.

“Uh…can I have the Penne Ricce Marco Polo?” Jack asked.

“Sure thing. Do you guys want any side dishes?”

“Can we have the ciabatta with olive oil and balsamic vinegar?” Rian asked.

Rian looked at Jack to see if he wanted anything else, but Jack just shook his head.

“That’s everything,” Rian finished.

“Awesome! If you want anything while you wait, feel free to wave me over,”

And then they were alone again.

“Do you reckon it’s a job requirement to be overly cheerful to work here?” Rian mused.

“I was thinking the same thing,” Jack giggled.

They fell into a comfortable silence, each taking a sip from their drinks, until Rian cleared his throat.

“I’m glad we could do this, Jack. I’m sorry for hurting you on Halloween, but I needed to make sure it wasn’t just the alcohol talking,” Rian said softly.

“I know, I understand. I just got scared that I’d lose you, that’s all. You’re the closest friend I’ve ever had, and I just couldn’t lose you,” Jack said honestly.

“Well you won’t ever lose me. I’m here for as long as you want me,” Rian replied.

Jack smiled, nodding. And Rian was telling the truth. He would be there for Jack, no matter what, as long as Jack wanted him around.

“What’s your family like?” Jack asked suddenly.

“Why do you want to know?” Rian asked curiously, a small smile slipping onto his lips.

“Because I’m making conversation,” Jack shrugged, his cheeks blushing.

Rian laughed but nodded. Jack wasn’t just making conversation, but Rian wasn’t going to call him out on that.

“My parents are pretty awesome, to be honest. My dad works in construction, like the person that architects go to when they actually want their buildings to go up. My mom works in a florists and goes to church a lot. They fight like hell sometimes but I’ve never seen anybody more in love than them either. My older brother Chase is a mechanic and his wife Lucy is a nurse, and they have twins Michael and Susan who are 6 now, and then I have a crazy bunch of aunts, uncles and cousins, and my nanna is fucking insane, but they’re all great. I don’t see them much, but they’re great,”

Rian smiled weakly. He really didn’t get to see anyone much. His working hours weren’t exactly made for family dinners. Obviously he had Sundays off, but he spent his only day off catching up on sleep and relaxing normally. He still called his parents every week and made sure to meet up with his brother at least in the holidays, but sometimes it just didn’t feel like enough.

“How were they when they found you were g-gay?” Jack asked hesitantly.

“They were a little shocked because I’m not a stereotype like, ooh, Alex or William, because I played all sorts of sports and love cars and shit like that, but my parents were proud that I had the courage to tell them. I was 17, actually, and Zack had just told his parents that he was gay so that gave me the courage to come out too. I don’t think I would’ve told them as soon as I did without Zack’s help,” Rian admitted.

“It must’ve been nice to have help,” Jack murmured.

“You didn’t have support?” Rian asked sadly.

“I didn’t really have friends, Ri. Not that I actually told my parents,” Jack sighed.

“You didn’t?” Rian frowned.

“I was just figuring it out when my mom died, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to tell my step-dad,” Jack shuddered.

Rian chewed his bottom lip for a second or two. To be honest, Jack’s clear fear and hatred of his step-dad really concerned Rian – there was more to this than Jack was letting on.

“Why did you really run away from home, Jack?” Rian asked softly.

“You don’t want to know,” Jack mumbled.

“Jack, I care about you, of course I want to know something as important as this,” Rian said seriously.

Jack stared at him for a few seconds, before nodding.

“Fine. But you won’t like it. And you can’t interrupt at any point,” Jack warned.

Rian just folded his arms over his chest, nodding for Jack to continue. Jack sighed, running a hand over his hair.

“I’ve already told you that my step-dad blamed me for my mom dying. He, um, he hated the sight of me, actually. Everything I did was wrong. He used to tell me how much of a mistake I was, how I was worthless, and I…the reason I left was, after three years of it…I couldn’t take any more of him…him hitting me,” Jack said softly.

Rian’s jaw dropped slightly. Jack…Jack got hit around by his step-dad for three whole years?!

“Y-You what?” Rian choked.

“Please don’t make me say it again,” Jack whispered.

Rian slammed his hands down on the table, making Jack flinch slightly.

“He used to…fucking hell, Jack, why didn’t you ever tell anyone about it? Why didn’t you get it stopped? Fuck, how could he…fucking hell!” Rian said angrily.

“Please calm down! I told you that you wouldn’t like it!” Jack pleaded.

“How can I stay calm, Jack? He fucking beat you for three years!” Rian hissed.

“Rian? Listen to me – it doesn’t matter,” Jack insisted.

“H-How can you say that doesn’t matter?!” Rian spluttered.

“Because he’s out of my life and I’m never going to see him again. That’s why,” Jack said.

“But…”

“I mean it. I left, didn’t I? He’s never going to hit me again, I’m fine. Sure, I could’ve done without a body covered in bruises, but nothing ever got broken and I got out of there, didn’t I?,” Jack said seriously, interrupting.

Rian didn’t like this. He didn’t like it one bit. But he wasn’t going to get into an argument with Jack. Hell no. So for now, he’d suck it up. If that’s what Jack wanted, he’d suck it up.

“I just hate the thought of you getting hurt like that,” Rian said softly.

Jack just about stopped himself from cooing ‘aww’.

“Well you saved me, didn’t you? It’s because of you that I’m off the streets, that I’m protected and happy again,” Jack smiled.

“If he ever finds you, somehow, please just tell me? Please?” Rian asked seriously.

“Sure, if that’s what you want,” Jack smiles shyly.

“It is. I can’t bare the thought of you ever being hurt like he hurt you, or ever seeing you like I found you outside the club,” Rian said firmly.

“With you, I won’t be. With everyone at the club, I won’t be. I have a family now, a real one. With you, I’m safe and I’m happy,” Jack smiled.

“Promise me, if he tries to get in contact with you, to tell me?” Rian sighed.

“I promise. Now…what else shall we talk about? I think we got a little intense just then,” Jack asked cheerfully.

Rian laughed and rolled his eyes. Dating Jack was going to be chaotic – but so worth it.

*

Rian and Jack’s first date ended up going well, ending with a slow kiss before they went into work. No-one said anything to them about the date, but Rian could see all their smirks. He didn’t really care though. Jack had agreed to go on a second date with him and that’s all that mattered.

Most of their dates were lunch dates, seeing as that’s all their working hours allowed, but Rian didn’t care. He liked Jack and he liked food – and now that Jack was eating properly again, there wasn’t a problem with it from his end either.

By the end of November, Rian and Jack had been on 6 dates in total. Rian knew Jack was itching for Rian to just make it official, but Rian wanted to do things right. This morning he was in the gym with Matt, Jeff, Colussy, Jon, Chizzy and Butcher before work, Zack not joining them because his girlfriend had acted weird on the phone and he wanted to sort that out. The 7 men dominated the weight lifting section of the gym, where they always started before they used the rest of the equipment.

“And then my mom was all like, why don’t you just ask Vincent to marry you already?!” Flyzik huffed.

“Dude, ouch,” Jeff grimaced.

“Exactly. Don’t get me wrong, I love Vinny and all, but we’ve only been together 9 months – marriage is way out of the question,” Flyzik grumbled.

“I’ll bet you $20 that Vinny rang your mom up and was telling her all the gossip about the club, including Nick and Halvo being engaged,” Colussy snickered.

“I’m not even going to bet on that, you’re probably right,” Flyzik sighed.

They all laughed, Flyzik just rolling his eyes. Sometimes Vinny was just too eager.

“Speaking of boyfriends…why haven’t you asked Jack to be yours yet, hmm Ri-Ri?” Chizzy smirked.

“Call me that again, and I’ll shave your head when you next pass out,” Rian threatened, scowling.

Chizzy gasped, his hands flying up to protect his golden locks.

“Seriously though, why are you waiting? Spencer keeps bugging me about it and it’s getting on my nerves,” Jon asked.

“I’m just waiting until Jack’s ready,” Rian said simply.

“Dude, he was ready after your first date,” Butcher snickered.

Rian laughed. “Probably,”

“So…you’re going to ask him, right? Because Vinny nags me about it just as much as Spencer nags Jon. I can’t deal with Vinny whining to me for another second that Jack’s not officially yours yet,” Flyzik said firmly.

“Jack really talks about it that much?” Rian frowned.

His 6 friends stare at him incredulously.

“Uh, yeah?” Jeff said, eyebrows raised.

“Haven’t you picked up on any of the hints the dancers have been trying to give you? Or the bartenders?” Colussy added.

“No?” Rian offered.

“You’re ridiculous. Ask him. Before someone else swoops in and steals him away,” Chizzy said, rolling his eyes.

Rian scowled, his mind immediately travelling to that situation. He would kill anyone that tried to take Jack from him. The other 6 bouncers burst into laughter.

“You’re head over fucking heels already. That’s kinda cute,” Flyzik teased.

“Call me cute again and I’ll tell Vinny about a really nice engagement ring store that I saw down on Madison,” Rian said with a fake smile.

Well that shut his friend up.

Rian pretty much forgot about the conversation in the gym while he was working that night, because it was leather night and that gets customers really fidgety apparently, but as soon as Rian got back to his apartment with Zack and Jack, Zack gave Rian a pointed look before jerking his head towards Jack. Oh wonderful. The other bouncers had obviously filled Zack in on what he missed at the gym.

“I’m heading straight to bed. Night guys,” Zack announced.

“Night Zack!” Jack said cheerfully.

Zack gave Rian one more pointed look before he disappeared into his bedroom. Rian sighed then grit his teeth in determination. There was no way he was letting any other man swoop in and steal Jack from him. No way.

“Hey, can we go into my room for a sec?” Rian asked casually.

“Sure,” Jack nodded, smiling.

Rian smiled back, the two of them walking into Rian’s bedroom, Rian shutting the door afterwards.

“What’s up?” Jack asked, sitting down on Rian’s bed.

“I want to ask you something,” Rian said softly, sitting down next to him.

“You’re not going to ask me to move out, are you?” Jack frowned.

“Fuck no!” Rian said, shocked.

“Good. Then ask away,” Jack grinned.

Rian ran his tongue over his lips, hesitating slightly. He really didn’t know how to go about this.

“I really like you, Jack. Like, really like you. I’m sure you’ve probably heard about my lack of dating history from everyone at CC, but I really don’t date very often, not unless the person is worth it. And you are so worth it, Jack. You make me so happy and I just…I don’t want to lose you. I can’t lose you,” Rian said seriously.

Jack smiled shyly at him, as if to say I don’t want to lose you either.

“I guess what I’m trying to say is…will you be my boyfriend?” Rian asked nervously.

Jack squealed softly. “Do you really mean that?”

“Yeah, I do,” Rian nodded, still nervous.

“Of course I will! Fuck, I’ve been waiting so long to hear you say that!” Jack said happily.

Rian grinned and pressed his lips firmly to Jack’s without thinking. Fuck, he was so happy. Jack was his boyfriend. Jack moaned softly and shifted so he was straddling Rian’s lap, their crotches rubbing firmly. Rian broke the kiss with a startled moan, just making Jack giggle.

“Ssh,” Jack grinned.

“I d-don’t want to push this, Jack,” Rian said quietly.

“Shut up, I want to do this for you,” Jack said indignantly, rolling his hips gently.

Rian couldn’t bring himself to protest as his dick started to harden. Jack grinned again and slipped his hand between them, unbuttoning and unzipping Rian’s chinos. Rian bit his bottom lip to stifle a moan when Jack’s hands tugged Rian’s boxers down slightly, exposing his half-hard dick. What? Rian sure as hell hadn’t expected this, and because it was from Jack? 100 times hotter.

“Remember to be quiet, Rian. I don’t think I want Zack spreading this around the club,” Jack murmured, his eyes sparkling with laughter.

Rian just nodded, his breath hitching when Jack’s hand wrapped around him, the first few hesitant strokes making him harder than he’d been in ages.

“Fuck, you’re big,” Jack said softly, his eyes wide.

Rian just grinned. It wasn’t every day that he heard that. Jack bit his bottom lip before starting to pump his hand over Rian’s dick in earnest, the concentration in his eyes only turning Rian on more. He’d almost forgotten what it felt like to have someone else’s hand touching him, to be honest. A moan tore from his throat as Jack’s thumb circled his tip, smearing the pre-come already pearling, his hips bucking up before he could stop them, so Rian buried his face his Jack’s shoulder, trying to keep quiet. Jack giggled at Rian’s lack of control and sped up his motions, flicking his wrist every now and again in a way that made Rian’s whole body shake and embarrassing moans to slip quietly from his lips.

“Fuck, the sounds you make,” Jack moaned softly.

“N-Not going to last much longer,” Rian managed to grunt.

Jack just grinned and reached down with his other hand to lightly fondle Rian’s balls, causing Rian to gasp loudly before coming hard and long all over their shirts. Their black shirts. They really didn’t think this through. Jack lightly pumped Rian through his orgasm, licking his hand afterwards in a way that made Rian growl.

“Your turn,” Rian smiled.

“There’s, uh, no need,” Jack mumbled, his cheeks flushing lightly.

Rian looked down, noticing a wet patch at the front of Jack’s trousers. Wow, he came just from touching Rian? That was a good thing to know. Rian stripped off his shirt, knowing it would need to be washed as soon as possible, tucking himself back into his boxers and kicking his chinos off. Jack smiled and stripped down to his boxers too, the two of them crawling into Rian’s bed. Rian didn’t think he had been this happy in a long time, he really didn’t. And he wasn’t going to let this go, not for anything.

*

Jack woke up at midday on the first weekend of December to see that Rian wasn’t in bed. Huh. As he pulled a pair of jeans, socks, a t-shirt and a thick hoodie on, he realised he could hear voices outside the door. Rian and Zack’s voices. When Jack heard a door slam, he walked out the room, seeing Rian standing the other side of Zack’s bedroom door with a pained expression on his face.

“Zack, come on man, talk to me,” Rian called through the door.

“Fuck off!” Zack said angrily.

“Seriously, come out of there!” Rian pleaded.

“I’m fine! Just leave me alone!” Zack demanded.

Jack took the chance to speak now.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

Rian jumped slightly, startled by the sound of Jack’s voice, before smiling sadly.

“Zack and Jess broke up. I woke up to the sound of them arguing in the living area and just as I got out there, Zack yelled at her that they were over. Jess saw me and stormed out of the apartment. I’ve been trying to get Zack to calm down but he won’t, and well, you can see what happened next,” Rian explained.

“Oh no, I feel so bad for him!” Jack gasped.

“I can still hear you!” Zack yelled through the door.

Whoops.

“Come on Zack, don’t hide from us, we just want to help!” Rian said desperately.

“I don’t need your help!” Zack said back.

Then Jack had an idea.

“I’ll be right back,”

Rian just nodded, so Jack walked back into his bedroom to grab his cellphone.

Zack broke up with Jess and is taking it badly. You’re the only person that can get him to calm down. Please come over asap? X

Who did Jack send that to? Martin. Jack knew Zack would come out of his bedroom, or at least talk to, Martin. 15 minutes later, Jack heard a knock on the front door, so he ran over to it.

“Oh thank fuck,” Jack said happily.

“They really broke up?” Martin asked, walking into the apartment.

Rian took one look at Martin and smiled.

“Good thinking, Jack,” Rian grinned.

“Thanks,” Jack smiled back.

Rian stepped away from the door and gestured for Martin to step up. Martin smiled nervously at his two friends before knocking softly on the door.

“Hey, Zack? It’s me, Martin. Please open the door?” Martin asked.

“Martin?” Zack asked quietly.

“Yeah, I’m here,” Martin replied.

In no more than two seconds, Zack had opened the door. Rian rolled his eyes, but Jack smiled. He knew this would work.

“Hey,” Martin said simply.

Zack just blinked a few times, before tears started to form in his eyes.

“Why don’t we give you guys some space, hmm?” Jack announced quickly.

Jack grabbed Rian’s hand and pulled him towards the door, grabbing a coat each from the rack and sliding a pair of shoes on too. Jack looked over his shoulder to see Zack with his arms wrapped tightly around Martin, Martin hugging him just as tightly back. Jack smiled and grabbed his wallet, Rian doing the same along with his car keys.

They ended up driving to a local diner, and ordering lunch. Half an hour later, Rian was still worried.

“I’ve never seen Zack like that before. It’s…it’s fucking scary, to be honest. I mean, I know Jess was a bitch and all, but Zack loved her. He really did love her. I just, I hate seeing him look so hurt,” Rian said honestly, taking a sip of the lukewarm coffee.

“Zack’s a strong guy – he’ll be alright, Rian. Besides, Martin’s his snuggler, right?” Jack pointed out.

Rian smiled weakly. “I know, I know he is…but I’m still worried,”

“Well, I’m sure I can get your mind off it? If you wanted?” Jack said.

Rian raised an eyebrow with a smirk spreading across his lips, Jack just blushing.

“Okay, that was a little lame, but I mean…if you wanted to…”

“What are you suggesting, Jack?” Rian asked, interrupting.

Jack swallowed heavily.

“Well we could drive around a bit and I could, uh, give you road head?” Jack suggested nervously.

Rian’s eyes widened.

“What? Just because I’m a virgin doesn’t mean I haven’t done some stuff,” Jack giggled.

“You’re just full of surprises,” Rian said incredulously.

“So that’s a yes?” Jack grinned.

Rian just grabbed Jack’s hand and they left the diner, a $20 bill on the table as the only reminded that they were there. As soon as they were in the car, Jack started rubbing Rian’s crotch through his jeans, Rian starting to harden with a growl. Jack giggled and rubbed a little harder, Rian’s hands shaking as he started the engine and pulled out of the parking space.

“Remember to keep your face blank, or you’re going to get weird looks. And if there’s any cops about, let me know,” Jack murmured, quickly unbuttoning and unzipping Rian’s jeans.

“Mmhmm,” Rian mumbled.

Jack grinned and pulled Rian’s dick out from his boxers, giving the base a light squeeze before ducking his head down and taking the tip into his mouth, tonguing the slit.

“Fuck, Jack,” Rian hissed, his hands clenching the steering wheel.

Jack smiled and started bobbing his head back and forth, hollowing his cheeks. Rian tried to keep his face as neutral as possible, only moaning every now and again as he drove down the street at a safe speed. Holy fuck Jack knew what he was doing. Jack decided to make things more difficult for Rian, and started to bring out every trick he knew; playing with Rian’s balls, dragging his teeth ever-so-lightly over the underside vein, sucking particularly hard on the head…everything. Rian had never felt so overwhelmed from a simple blowjob in his life. Sure, the fact that anyone driving along side them could possibly see Jack sucking him off was a major turn-on, but the fact that Jack had all these incredible blowjob tricks added to it as well. Who knew a virgin could give such good head?

Rian came to a stop at a red light, tangling one hand in Jack’s hair, tugging lightly as his hips started to buck into Jack’s mouth. He was getting desperate now, desperate for the release that was so close, yet so far.

“Please Jack, please! I’m so close! Please!” Rian begged.

Jack smiled and pulled back so only the head was in his mouth, working his hand over Rian until Rian cried out and shot down his throat. Jack bobbed his head back and forth slowly to ride out Rian’s high, pulling off just in time for Rian to compose himself and start to drive again. Jack swallowed and giggled at Rian’s blissed out expression, licking his lips to remove any trace of Rian as Rian pulled into a side street and parked the car.

“Holy fucking shit, Jack,” Rian groaned, tucking himself back into his jeans and boxers.

Jack grinned and pecked a kiss to Rian’s lips. He had no doubt that Rian would pay him back later.

“Got any more secret talents you want to tell me about?” Rian asked, grinning.

“I’ll take that as a thank you,” Jack giggled.

*

Christmas hit the club quicker than anyone realised. Gabe always shut the club on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and this year was no different. Jack revelled in the time off, taking the time on Christmas Eve to buy a few presents for Rian, Zack and a few group presents at the club. Rian had already told him that everybody always decided not to buy a lot of individual presents, so Jack didn’t feel too bad about only buying a massive bag of hair grips and a few boxes of chocolates.

They woke up early on Christmas Day, Jack and Rian swapping presents in Rian’s bed (Rian got Jack two DVDs and a new cologne, and Jack got Rian a pair of comedy socks and a new expensive watch) before eating a big brunch with Zack in the kitchen. It was tradition for everyone who wasn’t celebrating with family to go down to the club (even though it’s closed) so they could all celebrate for a couple of hours together there, before going out to have a big meal in a local restaurant.

So at midday, this is where they went. Zack had brought Jack and Rian matching Christmas sweaters as a joke, but they wore them anyway. Everyone but Nick, Halvo, Spencer and Jon were at the club, Gabe already having opened a bottle of scotch to share around.

“Oh Vicky T! No!” Brendon whined.

Jack turned his head from where he was sitting on Rian’s lap, only to see Victoria pinning sprigs of mistletoe all over the club.

“Ryan isn’t here yet – this isn’t fair,” Brendon pouted.

“Then you’ll just not have to move until your boo does get here,” Victoria retorted, sticking her tongue out.

Jack looked up by instinct. Huh. How did Victoria pin mistletoe above them without them noticing?!

“Uh, Ri?” Jack said, pointing upwards.

Rian looked up and groaned, making everyone around them laugh. Then he cupped Jack’s face with a hand and smiled.

“Why break tradition?” Rian grinned.

Jack grinned back and pressed his lips firmly to Rian’s, earning cat calls and cheers all around them. Rian pushed his tongue past Jack’s lips to roughly tangle with his, squeezing Jack’s hips gently a few seconds later before pulling away. Rian couldn’t help but laugh at the lust in Jack’s eyes.

“Later,” Rian murmured.

Jack blushed. He looked around their friends, most of whom were talking amongst themselves again, apart from Martin…who looked jealous? What the fuck? Martin caught Jack watching him and quickly walked backstage. Huh. Something was definitely wrong.

“I’ll be right back, okay?” Jack murmured to Rian.

Rian frowned at the determined look in Jack’s eyes but nodded. Jack smiled and pecked a kiss to his lips before getting off Rian’s lap and walking backstage to find Martin. In the second spare room, sitting on a chair with his head in his hands, was Martin.

“Hey Martin? Can I talk to you for a second?” Jack asked, shutting the door behind himself.

“If I say no, will you leave?” Martin asked flatly, lifting his head to look at his friend.

“No,” Jack shrugged.

Martin sighed. “Fine,”

Jack smiled and sat down next to the miserable-looking guy.

“What’s wrong, Martin? You’ve been really quiet and looking sad since Zack broke up with Jess, when I thought you’d be happy about it! And I saw how you looked at me and Rian when we kissed under the mistletoe,” Jack pointed out.

“It’s…nothing, okay?” Martin grumbled.

“Bullshit,” Jack said simply.

Martin stared Jack down for a few seconds, before sighing again.

“Fine. But don’t go telling anyone else. The day that Zack broke up with Jess and I went round to help, we…we slept together,” Martin said quietly.

“W-What?” Jack said, shocked.

“I know. I don’t really know how it happened. One minute we were sitting on his bed with him crying to me, the next I was sitting in his lap, then suddenly we’re kissing, and clothes are flying off and we’re having the best sex of my life…and now he’s barely speaking to me,” Martin said sadly.

Jack’s jaw dropped slightly. It was one thing for Zack and Martin to have sex, but for Zack to be acting like this?!

“He used me, Jack. I’m in love with him, but all I’ll ever be now is the rebound. I can’t deal with this, I really can’t, not when I’ve had a taste of him. What’s wrong with me? Am I not beautiful enough for him? Am I not good enough in bed? Am I not caring enough? I don’t understand! He’ll never want me seriously and I can’t handle that,” Martin choked.

“You’re not a rebound, Martin! We all know how much Zack cares for you – maybe he’s just scared of the intensity of it all?” Jack offered.

Martin smiled sadly and shook his head.

“It’s okay, Jack. You don’t have to make up lies to make me feel better. I’ll get over him, I’m sure,” Martin said softly.

Jack knew that wasn’t going to happen.

“I’m sorry, Martin. I really am,” Jack said.

“Me too,” Martin said quietly.

Jack squeezed Martin’s shoulder, heading out the front again. He headed straight to Rian, and sat back down in his lap.

“I found out why Martin’s sad,” Jack murmured in Rian’s ear.

“Really? What is it?” Rian asked, concerned.

Jack glanced over his shoulder to make sure no-one else was listening.

“The day that Zack broke up with Jess, Zack and Martin slept together but now Zack isn’t talking to Martin so Martin thinks he was just a one time rebound and he can’t handle it,” Jack said quietly.

Rian’s jaw dropped much like Jack’s had.

“A-Are you serious?” Rian gasped.

“Unfortunately so. Martin’s really cut up about this, Ri. He kept saying things like Am I not beautiful enough for him? Am I not good enough in bed? Am I not caring enough? Martin thinks something is wrong with him for Zack not to want him - he’s so broken because of Zack and I don’t know what to do!” Jack said desperately.

Rian chewed his bottom lip, thinking over the possibilities. There was only one that would really make a difference.

“I’m going to talk to Zack,” Rian said finally.

“No! You can’t! Then Martin will know that I told someone!” Jack exclaimed.

“I’m talking to Zack,” Rian repeated.

Jack groaned and ran his hand through his hair. This was not what he had imagined.

“Everything will be okay, doll. I promise,” Rian said firmly.

“I really hope you’re right,” Jack said with a weak smile.

Rian smiled weakly back and pressed a gentle kiss to Jack’s lips, before hugging him tightly.

“Why don’t you go and get another drink, and I’ll talk to Zack,” Rian suggested.

Jack just nodded, before walking over to the bar. Rian sighed, before scanning his eyes over their friends to spot Zack. And Zack was…sitting by himself at a corner table. Of course. Rian headed straight over there and sat down opposite his friend.

“So, rebound sex then huh? I didn’t take you as the type,” Rian said bluntly.

There was no other way to talk to Zack when he got like this.

“It’s none of your fucking business,” Zack glared.

“Actually, it is, seeing as you’re my best friend and Martin is one of Jack’s closest friends as well as mine too,” Rian retorted.

Zack gritted his teeth but looked down at the table. Rian’s mood softened at the mixture of emotions flashing across Zack’s eyes.

“Why did you do it, Zack? This isn’t like you,” Rian asked gently.

“I know it isn’t, but it’s done and I can’t change that,” Zack grumbled.

Rian rolled his eyes. Talk about dramatic.

“Yes you can! You can talk to Martin like he wasn’t just a meaningless one time fuck, because we all know that Martin means way more to you than just that,” Rian hissed.

Zack clenched his fists, finally looking up at Rian to glare at him again. Rian didn’t look away.

“What do you want to hear? That I’m scared? Because that’s exactly what I am. I’m fucking terrified of being with Martin because Martin is so different from Jess and I don’t want to fuck things up like I did with Jess,” Zack rambled.

“And that’s a reason for hurting Martin now?” Rian asked, raising an eyebrow.

“It’s complicated, Rian,” Zack scowled.

“It’s really not. Either you want to be with Martin, or you don’t. And you’d better tell him either way because it’s just cruel to leave him hanging on like this. You know how much he likes you,” Rian said seriously.

Zack stared Rian down for a few seconds, but eventually sighed and nodded.

“I need to think about what to do. Can you…can you leave?” Zack said quietly.

Rian gritted his teeth, but left. Zack might be his best friend, but sometimes he could just be a stubborn asshole – and Martin didn’t deserve to be on the receiving end of that.

*

Boxing Day, however, was a day that Jack was dreading. Why? Because Rian’s parents had invited Rian and Jack over for dinner. With Rian’s brother and sister-in-law and their twins. It was going to be absolute chaos and Jack was terrified. What if Rian’s parents didn’t approve of him? What if they wanted Rian to stop seeing him because he wasn’t good enough? What the fuck would Jack do then?!

“Dollar for your thoughts,” Rian murmured.

Jack broke out of his mind to see that Rian had parked outside a nice homey-looking house. Fuck. They were here.

“J-Just thinking over things that could happen tonight,” Jack said honestly.

Rian chuckled softly and pecked a kiss to Jack’s lips.

“Well whatever those thoughts are, I know a few things that will definitely happen tonight – my niece and nephew will adore you, my brother will give you a hard time to piss me off and my parents will love you,” Rian smiled.

“What if they don’t like me?” Jack blurted.

Shit, he didn’t mean to say that out loud. Rian frowned and cupped Jack’s face with his hand, making Jack look at him.

“They will love you. And even if for some ridiculous reason they don’t, that doesn’t change a thing. You’re still mine, and I plan to keep it that way,” Rian said firmly.

Jack couldn’t stop himself from smiling slightly, his stomach flipping at Rian’s words. Whatever happened tonight, he wouldn’t lose Rian. That was a calming thought.

“I have told my mom about you though. Like, how we came to meet,” Rian warned.

“Y-You have?” Jack said nervously.

“Yeah, just that you were mugged and Zack and I found you outside the club, and how we grew closer through working and living together. I haven’t told her anything about your family or that you ran away,” Rian explained.

“O-Oh okay,” Jack nodded.

“I figured they would probably ask and I didn’t know if you’d want to tell them without it being too awkward,” Rian added.

Jack bit his bottom lip, knowing Rian was just trying to make everything easier. To be honest, he probably would’ve frozen and not known what to say if he had been put on the spot.

“Yeah, you’re right. Um, your mom doesn’t mind, does she?” Jack asked hesitantly.

“Gosh no! She’ll probably mother you and say that I need to feed you more, but she doesn’t mind at all,” Rian mused.

Well that was a relief.

“Shall we go inside then?” Jack asked.

Rian nodded and smiled, pecking Jack’s lips one more time before getting out the car, Jack getting out too. Rian got the Christmas presents for his family out the trunk, handing Jack the bottle of wine he’d bought for Rian’s parents, before locking the car and walking up to the front door. Jack chewed his bottom lip nervously, until the door opened revealing a blonde woman with a big smile. Wow, the same smile and the same eyes as Rian. This must be his mom.

“Rian! You made it!” she said excitedly.

“Yeah, sorry, traffic wasn’t great,” Rian smiled back.

Jack stood awkwardly as the two of them hugged. Then Rian’s mom looked at him and her eyes widened.

“Oh gosh, you must think I’m so rude! You must be Jack!” she gasped.

“Y-Yeah, I’m Jack. Um, I bought some wine for you,” Jack mumbled, holding out the bottle of wine.

“That’s so sweet of you! I do love a good white wine. Come in, sweetheart! I’m Rian’s mom, Kathy,” she introduced.

Jack squeaked as Rian’s mom pulled him into a crushing hug, but lightly hugged her back. He wasn’t used to this kind of affection.

“Fuck, Rian, why aren’t you feeding him properly? Jack’s all skin and bone!” Kathy scolded, releasing Jack.

Jack fought not to drop his jaw. Rian’s mom cursed?

“Told you so,” Rian mused to Jack, “And you should’ve seen Jack when we first met, mom. He was skinnier,”

Kathy’s eyes went wide. “Well Jack honey, you’re getting extra helpings of dinner today. Do you like roast beef?”

“Yes ma’am,” Jack nodded.

“So polite! Okay, take off your shoes and then come join us all in the living room,” Kathy beamed.

Jack barely had time to blink before she bustled away. Rian laughed softly and pulled off his shoes, nudging Jack so he could do the same.

“So far, so good,” Rian murmured, squeezing Jack’s hand.

Jack just smiled nervously, so Rian kissed him softly to calm him down, before linking their hands together properly and pulling him down the corridor to the living room. Jack grew a little more nervous as he entered the room and saw Kathy standing next to an intimidating-looking man who must be Rian’s dad, and another man sitting on a sofa with a red-haired woman – that must be Rian’s brother and sister-in-law – and then two young children on the floor.

“Uncle Ri-Ri!” the twins squealed, running over to them.

So this is where the nickname came from. Rian let go of Jack’s hand, grinning as he hugged the two children tightly.

“Mikey, Susie, this is Jack,” Rian introduced, taking Jack’s hand again.

“Are you Uncle Ri-Ri’s boyfwend?” Mikey asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Yeah, I am,” Jack nodded, smiling at them.

“You’re pretty. You can stay,” Susie said firmly, before sticking her thumb in her mouth.

The adults in the room laughed, Jack feeling a little more at ease. Rian’s niece approving of him was a good thing, right?

“Jack, this is my brother Chase, my sister-in-law Lucy, and my dad Robert. Everyone, this is my boyfriend Jack,” Rian introduced.

“It’s good to finally meet the man my son won’t stop talking about,” Robert teased.

Rian blushed slightly.

“How did the two of you meet?” Lucy asked warmly.

Jack glanced once at Rian’s mom, before looking back at Lucy.

“We work together. I’m a bartender,” Jack said.

“You look quite young to be a bartender,” Chase commented.

Rian gritted his teeth together but didn’t say anything. Chase was only trying to provoke him.

“I’m 18,” Jack admitted hesitantly.

Jack didn’t need to look around the room to see that Rian’s parents’ eyes were as wide as Lucy and Chase’s.

“Well…at least you’re legal,” Chase said finally.

Jack’s cheeks flushed deeply, Lucy smacking Chase round the back of the head.

“Do you like colouring?” Susie asked Jack suddenly, taking her thumb out her mouth.

“I definitely like colouring,” Jack nodded.

“Good! You can help me colour in my princess picture then,” Susie beamed.

Jack’s eyebrows shot upwards as the 6 year old girl grabbed his hand and yanked him forward, but he sat next to her on the floor anyway, smiling as she handed him a yellow crayon and told him to colour in the princess’s hair.

“Wow. Susie never lets anyone colour with her,” Chase said, surprised.

“Clearly Jack is special,” Kathy said with a smile, winking at Rian.

Rian smiled back. His mom was right, Jack is special.

Two hours later, the family were sitting around the large dining room table, eating a hearty dinner. Jack had never seen so much food on a table at one time, even more surprised at the large portion size that Rian’s mom gave him. But he didn’t complain. Food was food. He had said to himself while he was on the streets that he would never waste any food he was offered, and that didn’t change now.

“This food is so great, Mrs Dawson,” Jack said honestly.

“Thank you, Jack! And please, call me Kathy,” Rian’s mom laughed.

Jack blushed slightly, but nodded. Rian smiled and squeezed Jack’s thigh gently. This dinner was going better than he’d thought.

“Jaaack, can you cut up my broccoli for me?” Susie asked loudly.

Yes, Rian’s niece had insisted on sitting next to Jack. Not that Jack minded – she was one of the best behaved children he’d ever met.

“Sure thing,” Jack nodded, smiling at her.

The family smiled fondly as Jack cut the young girl’s vegetables up into small pieces for her. This was all new for him, but he couldn’t say that he minded.

“I can’t believe how quickly Susie’s taken to you, Jack. She doesn’t usually accept new people very easily,” Lucy commented.

“I like kids,” Jack shrugged, smiling at her once he’d given Susie back her cutlery.

“You really are a sweetheart, aren’t you?” Rian’s mom beamed.

“I bet you say that to all Rian’s boyfriends,” Jack said, blushing at the compliment.

“What other boyfriends, honey? You’re the first boy he’s ever brought home,” Kathy said honestly.

Jack looked at Rian in shock but Rian just smiled. The first boy Rian had brought home?

“Can you pass the potatoes, dad?” Chase asked, breaking the silence.

Chatter started up again, but Jack stayed silent. Was he really the first guy that Rian had introduced to his family? What did that mean?

When night had fallen, and Jack and Rian had gotten back to the apartment and were sitting in front of the TV watching a football game, Jack’s mind travelled back to what Rian’s mom said.

“You’re thinking too hard again,” Rian commented, not even looking at Jack.

“Was I really the first guy to meet your family?” Jack asked bluntly.

Rian smiled softly and looked at Jack.

“Yeah, you are the first,” Rian admitted.

“Why?” Jack frowned.

Rian laughed softly, shaking his head in amusement.

“Because I’ve never been so serious about someone before. Because I haven’t felt any previous relationships worthy of meeting my crazy-ass family. Because you’re amazing and I wanted my family to see that. I could go on for ages, Jack,” Rian laughed.

Jack chewed his bottom lip, thinking over Rian’s words. Rian really cared about him, didn’t he? He really truly honest-to-God wanted to be with him – this was a new feeling. A good feeling. Without hesitating, Jack leant forward and pressed his lips firmly to Rian’s, kissing him deeply. Rian moaned softly in surprise, but didn’t hesitate to kiss Jack back, his hands resting gently on Jack’s hips. After a few seconds, Jack broke the kiss, pupils blown wide and lips bright red. Rian’s breath hitched in his throat at the beautiful sight.

“I want you,” Jack murmured, his fingers curling into Rian’s t-shirt.

Blood started to rush to Rian’s dick at just the thought.

“A-Are you sure? I don’t want to rush you,” Rian managed to choke.

Jack laughed softly, but smiled.

“You care about me so fucking much, you showed me that today. It’s about time I showed you how much I care about you too,” Jack said seriously.

Rian licked his bottom lip and nodded, turning off the TV with the remote. He didn’t need any more persuasion than that. Jack swallowed nervously but straddled Rian’s waist, not hesitating to kiss him again. Their kiss heated up quickly, tongues dancing, hands wandering and groping, hips circling and pressing down hard, moans uninhibited (Zack was over at Jeff and Colussy’s apartment playing Xbox). Rian slid his hands up Jack’s shirt, his thumbs brushing Jack’s nipples roughly enough to earn a gasp, before he pulled Jack’s t-shirt over his head. Jack’s skin goosebumped under Rian’s touch, but he couldn’t say that he didn’t like it. Jack quickly returned the favour, both of them moaning when their bare torsos came into contact.

Rian broke the kiss to catch his breath, looking into Jack’s dark eyes with want.

“My room. Now,” he breathed.

Jack had never been more eager to obey an order. Rian waited a few seconds to compose himself before following Jack into his bedroom, his eyes widening when he saw that Jack had already pulled off his trousers and was working on his boxers. Jack smiled nervously at his boyfriend before sliding his boxers off, revealing himself fully naked to Rian for the first time. Rian’s eyes travelled over Jack’s body hungrily, lingering on his erection before he pulled off his own clothes.

The atmosphere seemed to change then, from hurried and lustful, to intense and intimate. Jack slowly walked over to Rian’s bed and laid down, silently beckoning Rian to join him. Rian didn’t disappoint, moving himself between Jack’s legs, aligning every inch of their bodies, hissing as their erections rubbed together.

“I want you so bad, Rian,” Jack moaned.

“I’m yours,” Rian said softly.

Jack moaned again as Rian started circling his hips, creating a friction that Jack had never imagined before, and watched through half-lidded eyes as Rian reached into his bedside drawer and pulled out lube and a condom.

“T-This is going to hurt, isn’t it?” Jack asked nervously.

Rian bit his bottom lip, but nodded. There was no use lying to him.

“Yeah, but not for long. I’ll make you feel so good, I promise,” Rian replied.

Jack swallowed heavily but nodded. He trusted Rian completely. Rian stroked Jack lazily a few times, just to calm him down, before reaching for the lube and drizzling it over three fingers. Jack’s breath hitched as one finger pressed against his entrance, gasping as it slowly pushed in. Rian’s eyes widened at how tight Jack was. He’d never been with a virgin before, he didn’t know it would be like this. Fuck, he’d have to be extra careful with Jack.

“Relax, Jack. You’ve gotta relax for me,” Rian urged.

Jack nodded, willing himself to calm down. Rian smiled at Jack’s concentration, started to move his finger in and out, getting Jack used to the feeling.

“I’m going to put in a second now. Remember, relax,” Rian warned.

Jack swallowed heavily but nodded again. Rian pecked a kiss to his lips before pushing in a second finger, wincing at Jack’s whimper, but he didn’t stop. He needed to prep Jack properly. Rian waited a few seconds before twisting his fingers, smiling as Jack gasped, and started to move them properly, scissoring, pumping and twisting, all to get Jack loosened for him. Jack whimpered a little louder at the intrusion of a third finger, but then cried out loudly as Rian rubbed something inside him that sent sparks and fire through his veins.

“W-What was that?” Jack choked.

“The spot that’s going to make this all amazing for you, doll,” Rian grinned.

Jack cried out again as Rian rubbed his fingers over the spot once more, his hard-on started to leak profusely. He’d never felt this good in his entire life. Never.

“I-I think I’m ready, Ri,” Jack stammered, wriggling his hips lightly.

Rian nodded, pulling his fingers out and wiping them on the sheets. Jack gritted his teeth as he clenched around nothing, but felt his heart skip a beat as Rian rolled a condom down his dick, covering it with extra lube. Holy shit. He’d forgotten how big Rian was. He’d get all of that?

“Put your legs over my shoulders,” Rian prompted.

Jack nodded and did so, smiling as Rian moved a pillow under his hips. He’d heard that would help. Jack bit his bottom lip as Rian positioned himself at his hole, swallowing nervously. This was it. Now or never.

“Ready?” Rian asked.

“Y-Yeah. Just g-go slow?” Jack nodded.

“Of course,” Rian promised.

Jack closed his eyes as Rian started pushing in. Holy fuck that hurts.

Rian gritted his teeth as he slowly pushed himself into Jack, pausing when he has his hips pressed to Jack’s ass. Holy fuck Jack was tight.

“It hurts, Ri,” Jack whimpered, tears springing to his eyes.

“I know, I’m sorry,” Rian said softly, “Just try to relax, okay? Let me know when to move,”

Jack nodded, taking a deep breath. Rian had promised to take care of him. He had to trust in that. After a few more breaths, Jack nodded, looking into Rian’s eyes and locking his ankles together. Rian took a deep breath and slowly pulled out of Jack, before slamming back into Jack, aiming for Jack’s prostate. Jack cried out as pleasure mixed with the pain, making Rian smile. Bingo. He started up a slow rhythm, hitting the right angle every time, Jack eventually overcoming the pain to move his hips in time with Rian’s.

“F-Feels so good, Ri,” Jack moaned, clutching the bedsheets as a light sheen of sweat coated his skin.

Rian grinned and pressed a kiss to the inside of Jack’s thigh, thrusting a little faster. Jack couldn’t stop the moans that fell from his lips, his body tingling all over. No matter how many times he had imagined sex, he had never thought it would be this good. He knew that being with Rian had a major input into that. The way Rian’s hips moved fast, but not too fast, and hard, but not too hard, combined with the lust and adoration in Rian’s eyes, took his breath away.

As soon as Jack’s body started to shake, Rian knew that his boyfriend wouldn’t last long. It was his first time after all. Not that Rian could last much longer himself – Jack was just too tight around his dick. Jack’s back arched as a ball of heat formed in the pit of his stomach, throwing his head back as Rian reached between them and started jerking Jack off in time with his thrusts.

“RIAN!” Jack yelled, his eyes squeezing shut as that ball of heat exploded, coming long and hard over their chests.

Rian cried out as Jack tightened impossibly around him, only holding on for a few more thrusts before he thrusted straight against Jack’s prostate and hit his own high, shooting over and over again into the condom. Rian circled his hips to ride them through their orgasms, gently pulling out of Jack before he could collapse on him. Jack whimpered at the empty feeling, but didn’t have the energy to lift his head in protest. Rian’s hands shakily pulled off the condom and tied it, throwing it into the bin before lying down next to Jack, trying to catch his breath.

“T-That was incredible. Beyond incredible. Will it be like that every time?” Jack asked breathlessly.

“It can only get better,” Rian chuckled.

Jack’s eyes lit up, making Rian laugh loudly.

“Give me 10 minutes, Jack. I am 7 years older than you, you know,” Rian teased.

Jack blushed but nodded, only making Rian laugh again. Too adorable.

“I can’t imagine any else that I would have wanted to be with on my first time,” Jack murmured, nuzzled into Rian’s side.

Rian just smiled.

*

With Jack’s permission, Rian revealed to everyone they worked with that Danny had won the bet they’d all made on when Rian and Jack would sleep together, leaving Danny with over $200 of prize money and Jack with a deep blush.

New Years’ Eve induced another party at Caballeros Cala, but not the same as on Halloween or Christmas. It was a normal night of work, until 10 minutes before midnight when all the dancers came out the front with Gabe, Victoria, John Ohh, Tay and Sierra, as well as Halvo and Nick, and every single person in the club including the customers was given a party hat and a glass of free champagne, and everyone counted in the New Year together via a radio that Gabe and Halvo had set up to broadcast over the speakers. Zack still hadn’t spoken to Martin about what happened between them, so that atmosphere was tense, but they just stayed away from each other.

Naturally, Rian and Jack kissed at midnight.

It was an amazing moment, and the perfect way to bring in the New Year. And as soon as they got back from work, Rian and Jack celebrated with a good few hours of passionate fucking. A perfect new year indeed.

A few days later though, Rian felt on edge. You know that itch of irritation you get under your skin when something isn’t quite right? Yeah, Rian had that. But Jack regarded it as nonsense and proceeded to tell him so while they stood by the bar at quarter to 5.

“You’re an idiot,” Jack said with a shrug.

Okay, sure, it was done quite bluntly, but Rian wouldn’t back down.

“But I just feel like something bad is going to happen!” Rian groaned.

“That something bad is going to be me not giving you a kiss before our shifts start if you don’t stop whining,” Jack warned.

Rian scowled. Jack wasn’t taking this seriously. Not even in the slightest.

“I just don’t want anything bad to happen to you,” Rian said seriously.

“And nothing will. I’ve got Chizzy by the bar tonight and Jon’s watching over the room at the back so he can give extra assistance if anything does happen. I’ll be fine, Ri. Just relax,” Jack mused.

Rian knew that Jack wouldn’t listen to him. He just hoped that Chizzy and Jon wouldn’t be needed. He just hoped that he was wrong.

“Fine. But just be careful, okay? I don’t think this bad feeling is going to go away,” Rian sighed.

“I promise I’ll be careful,” Jack nodded, smiling.

Rian reluctantly stood up from the bar stool and pecked a kiss to Jack’s lips, before heading to open the front doors with Flyzik.

“Are you alright, Rian?” Flyzik frowned, noticing Rian’s gritted teeth.

“Something doesn’t feel right,” Rian muttered.

“Everything will be fine,” Flyzik reassured.

For some reason, Rian didn’t believe his friend.

It was at 11pm that his worst fears came to life, in the form of Victoria running down the entrance corridor towards him.

“Rian, Rian you’ve got to come with me. Chizzy had to pull someone off Jack who had his hands around Jack’s throat,” she said, panicking.

“WHAT?!” Rian roared.

“Chizzy and Jon dragged him into a back room because he wouldn’t calm down but Jack’s freaking out. He needs you,” Victoria said desperately.

Rian didn’t hesitate to push past her and storm through the club. Flyzik can handle the front doors by himself, Jack is what’s important right now. He knew something bad was going to happen. He just knew. Why did no-one listen to him?

As soon as Rian walked backstage, he saw Jack leaning against a wall, his entire body shaking. Rian immediately ran to him and pulled him tight against his chest. Jack choked a sob and buried his face in the crook of Rian’s neck.

“Ssh, it’s going to be okay, I’m here now,” Rian soothed, rubbing Jack’s back.

After a little while, Jack was able to stop crying, so he lifted his head to look Rian in the eyes, only making Rian worried all over again. He’d never seen Jack look so scared.

“You were right, Ri. Something bad did happen. It’s my step-dad. He found me,” Jack choked.

“What? How?!” Rian asked, confused.

“One of his business colleagues came in here on New Years Eve and saw me with you and told him. He said he would drag me back to Baltimore if he had to,” Jack whimpered.

Rian clenched his fists, trying to keep himself calm. No-one was taking Jack away from him. No-one.

“I promise you with all my heart that that’s not going to happen. You’re staying right here, with me,” Rian said firmly.

“Y-You mean that?” Jack sniffed.

“Of course I do,” Rian nodded.

He waited until Jack gave him a weak smile back to press their lips together in a gentle, reassuring kiss, lingering a little before pulling away.

“Give me 5 minutes, okay? I’ll be right back,” Rian promised.

Jack just nodded, and pointed to the first door on the left. Rian nodded and walked straight into the room, seeing Chizzy, Jon and Gabe all standing around an angry-looking guy on a chair. This must be Jack’s step-dad. Motherfucker.

“Fuck, Rian, this guy just…”

Rian ignored Chizzy’s words and slammed his fist into Jack’s step-dad’s face, smiling sadistically at the sickening crack he heard, even more so at the river of scarlet that poured from his nose.

“Rian, calm down,” Gabe hissed, pulling Rian back with a hand on his shoulder.

Rian whirled round, unable to stop himself glaring at Gabe.

“How can I when this is Jack’s step-dad, the guy that physically abused Jack for three years?!” Rian yelled.

Three seconds of silence. Then everyone immediately turned and glared at Jack’s step-dad. The man didn’t even have the decency to look ashamed.

“Jack doesn’t belong in this little faggot club. I’m taking him back to Baltimore,” the man spat.

“Like fuck you are,” Rian growled, clenching his fists.

“You must be the boyfriend. Does it feel good to be fucking an innocent kid like Jack who doesn’t know what’s good for him?” Jack’s step-dad sneered.

“How the fuck would you know anything about innocence when you beat Jack black and blue after his mom died, you arrogant piece of shit!” Rian said angrily.

“Jack’s an adult, he can make his own decisions,” Gabe said coldly.

“If it wasn’t for Rian, Jack would be dead on the streets by now,” Jon added, glaring down at the man.

“You should’ve left him, the stupid brat deserves to die,” the step-dad spat.

Rian’s anger flared up uncontrollably and he punched Jack’s step-dad square in the face again. No-one speaks about Jack like that. No-one.

“Guys, the cops are on the way to take him,” Victoria said, poking her head through the door.

“Thanks,” Gabe nodded, so she left.

“They’ll make Jack come with me, you’ll see,” Jack’s step-dad said smugly.

“Really? Because the way I see it, Jack is an 18 year old with a legal right to move out of his parents’ house, and seeing as you’re only a step-parent who physically abused him and he left because of that, you have no right to storm into a private club and physically attack him. You’ll be slammed down so hard that your head will spin,” Rian said simply, trying to control his anger.

Jack’s step-dad gritted his teeth. Good.

“Let me just leave you with a parting gift. You messed with the wrong club. No-one comes into my club and attacks one of my family. I’m not a person that you want to cross – ask anybody in Manhattan and they’ll tell you exactly the same thing. If you ever set foot in this state again, you’ll regret it. I’ll personally make you regret it. Not even the cops will be able to find your body. You stay the fuck away from my club and you stay the fuck away from Jack,” Gabe growled.

Holy fuck. Even Rian had to swallow nervously. This time, Jack’s step-dad had the decency to look scared.

“Nice to see you understand. Don’t forget this, because I certainly won’t. Rian, why don’t you go to Jack, yeah? He needs you right now,” Gabe said.

“We’ll make sure this sack of shit gets what he deserves,” Chizzy said firmly.

As much as Rian wanted to make sure Jack’s step-dad was punished properly, he knew Gabe was right. Jack would need him right now. So with a final glare to the bloodied man in front of him, Rian left the room, seeing Jack standing in the corridor with Grieco, Danny, Ian and William surrounding him. Huh. Maybe drama brings out the best in the diva-esque dancer.

“Hey, guys, can I speak to Jack alone?” Rian said softly.

“Of course,” Danny said, stepping backwards and tugging Ian with him.

“His step-dad is getting dealt with, right?” Grieco asked worriedly.

“Yeah, the cops are on their way,” Rian nodded.

“You hit him, right?” William frowned.

“Twice,” Rian smirked.

“Good,” William nodded.

Rian smiled and pecked a kiss to Jack’s lips, before tugging him gently in the direction of the staff bathroom. As soon as they were alone, Jack burst into tears.

“Ssh, doll, it’s okay. It’s over. He’ll never hurt you again,” Rian soothed, bringing Jack into his arms in a firm hug.

“I was so scared, Ri. I was so scared that he’d make me leave you,” Jack sobbed, clutching at Rian like he was all he had in the world.

“No-one can ever do that,” Rian murmured, rubbing his back.

“H-He won’t come back?” Jack whimpered, lifting his head to look at Rian.

“Not if he wants to stay alive. Gabe saw to that,” Rian said firmly.

Jack swallowed heavily and nodded, stepping out of Rian’s arms to wipe his cheeks dry. It was then that Rian noticed the red marks around Jack’s neck. Fuck. Those would really bruise.

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you,” Rian said sadly.

“Don’t be, it’s not your fault. I should’ve listened to you. I froze when I saw him and then he just launched at me. Chizzy grabbed him as soon as he saw but then he started thrashing in Chizzy’s hold and I started freaking out because I thought he was going to get me again, and then Jon came over and they both took him out. I had to run backstage too because I couldn’t stop shaking and everyone was staring at me. Victoria and Gabe came rushing towards me and I explained as best as I could, and then they left me and then you came…I was so fucking scared,” Jack whimpered.

“I promise you that you’ll never be scared or hurt again as long as I’m around. As long as you want me around. No-one’s ever going to hurt you again, Jack,”

“Thank you. So much,” Jack said shakily.

“I’d do anything for you. I…I love you, Jack,” Rian said honestly.

Jack’s breath hitched in his throat. Fuck. Had Rian said the wrong thing?

“Y-You love me?” Jack choked, tears springing to his eyes all over again.

“Yeah, I really fucking do,” Rian nodded, smiling nervously.

All of a sudden Jack started crying again, panicking Rian, until Jack smiled.

“I love you too,”

Sun lights up the day time. Moon lights up the night. I light up when you call my name and you know I’m going to treat you right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta-da!

You have no idea how long it took me to write this ^_^
On the plus side, I've started the sequel (Martin/Zack) and have a triquel planned for after that (Alex/Gabe).

Thank you to JessicStar, emmarulez, BeautifullyTattooed and rebeccs13 for commenting before this was posted =]

Comments are appreciated!
xo