Ignite Your Bones

but not what you need

Courtney sat on the living room couch as she searched through many channels trying to find one that interested her. She finally settled on some sort of food channel before closing her eyes. It had been a long day of work and she thought she deserved some rest.

Her rest was interrupted, however, with the front door opening and closing. Opening her eyes, she saw Andrea and John walk through the door, hand in hand. “Hey Court,” Andrea said, smiling at her best friend. “You have any plans tonight?”

Courtney shrugged, and began to flip through channels again. “No,” she finally said, “Why, what’s up?”

This time John answered back at the girl. “Well, some of my friends are having a bon fire tonight,”

A bon fire sounded fun. She’d been to one before last year and it was surprisingly relaxing, and relaxing was exactly what she needed at the moment. A part of Courtney also wondered if Halvo would be there. They were considered friends now, right? Last week at the pizzeria they seemed much more comfortable around each other and actually held a decent conversation. They made jokes, laughed, and ate some pizza. They all had a great time.

“I’m in.”

--

John said that they would go to the bon fire earlier before everyone else so that he could help his friends set up the fire and get everything else ready. Arriving to the bon fire, Courtney saw four guys she recognized from John’s band.

As they got out of John’s pickup, the five guys greeted them instantly. Courtney thought long and hard, trying to remember their names. She remembered meeting the boys of The Maine for the first time, approximately three months ago, a month after Andrea and John started dating. Andrea suggested that she come with her to meet his friends at a party they were having. They were all nice guys, they talked to her and were very polite, but that was it.

Finally Courtney figured out the names for each of the faces. “Hey, it’s good to see you again!” It took a moment for Courtney to realize those words were meant for her and she smiled at the long haired boy who spoke them. Pat’s words made Courtney feel extremely comfortable, like she was wanted and welcomed here.

Kennedy chimed in at Pat’s words. “Yeah, we had a lot of fun last time,”

Courtney couldn’t tell if they were lying or telling the truth. She decided to just assume they were being truthful and they all began setting up. According to Andrea, approximately fifty people would be here tonight. A part of Courtney still hoped Halvo would be one of those fifty people.

--

Halvo was tired. Band practice had been a total of six hours; he almost had no energy to go to the bon fire that was planned for that evening, but he knew he still had to go. As Eric pulled up to see the fire already going and a bunch of familiar faces scattered around it, he suddenly felt a boost of energy go through him.

Stepping out of the car, he went to go find John. He finally spotted his best friend, and called out his name. “Hey, Johno!” John immediately turned around upon hearing his name and greeted him back.
After Halvo got a beer and said hi to the rest of his friends, he asked, “Did Andrea not come?”

John shook his head. “No, she’s here,” Halvo began to wonder where she was then. Whenever John brought Drea with them to social gatherings, she was always at John’s side, almost never leaving him. It was as if John could read Halvo’s mind, because he said next, “She’s with Courtney by the fire.”

Just hearing her name made chills go up and down his spine despite the hot fire just feet away from him. He didn’t know what was happening. Courtney was a cool girl who he considered his friend now. She was funny, outgoing, and just an all-around nice person to be around. He was still curious on her words from the night they met each other though. He wanted desperately to know what it was all about, but he knew he wouldn’t find out about it soon. Why was he getting chills? Why is it that every time she’s mentioned or she’s around him he gets these insane chills? Maybe it’s the mystery of what she meant the night they met; Halvo did want to know.

As many thoughts were swarming in Eric’s mind, he saw her and Andrea approach in the corner of his eye. He brought his full attention to the two girls in front of him and John and waved at them. “Hey guys,”

And just like the first time Eric and Courtney met, they were completely ignored as John and Andrea got stuck in their little world. It was cute, Halvo had to admit. Seeing his best friend so happy, something he hadn’t seen in such a long time, was really nice. Halvo heard a chuckle and his thoughts were interrupted once again.

“Just like the first night, huh?”

So she was thinking the same thing he was.

Halvo shrugged and grinned at the girl. “I suppose so.”

The next thing she did surprised him greatly. She reached into one of the many scattered ice chests and grabbed a beer. Popping it open, she took a big swig and looked back at the fire, but Halvo could only look at her. Courtney must have felt his stare on her, because she looked back at him and furrowed her eyebrows and laughed slightly. “What is it?”

Halvo laughed back slightly and said, “I didn’t know you drank,”

Shrugging slightly, Courtney took another swig of her beer. “I do on occasion,” Halvo nodded at her words, and just as he was about to speak again, they were interrupted.

“Hey, guys, come on, we’re going to make s’mores!” The wide grin on Garrett’s face showed he was excited.

Eric and Courtney nodded. “We’ll be over there in a second,” Courtney spoke for them, and Garrett walked over to the fire.

Truth be told, Halvo didn’t want a s’more. He was so exhausted, s’mores were the last thing on his mind. His thoughts were cut off when he saw Courtney go for another beer. Raising his eyebrows, he chuckled.

Courtney looked up at the boy, raising her eyebrows as well. “Problem?”

Halvo put his hands up in defense. “Nope, no problem here,” he said. “You might want to slow down, though.” While he waited for Courtney to respond, he grabbed another beer himself.

With a scoff, Courtney spoke, glancing at his new beer in his hand. “Like you’re one to talk, Halvorsen.”

“Ooh, on a last name basis now, I see,” Halvo replied playfully, chuckling slightly. “Alright, Williams, I see how it is.”

Courtney rolled her eyes, laughing along with him. Suddenly an awkward silence fell between them. As Courtney racked through her mind for something to say, she blurted, “So, uh, s’mores?” She found herself suddenly wanting some of the s’mores Garrett was talking about.

Eric found himself laughing again at her. And for some strange reason, he was craving s’mores all of a sudden too.
♠ ♠ ♠
haven't updated in a long time, my bad