Status: oneshot.

Empty Skies

one of one.

Some say there is another world outside of Earth, beyond Earth. Some say that across the horizon, passed the oceans and the mountaintops, there is a New World—a better world, safer, whole. But when I look up into the clear sky, there is nothing. I do not see a New World, a future with me in it.

I see empty skies. What about you?

I remember when life was simpler. It was easy to get around, make friends, go to the pizza parlor in town. It was simple bliss; a Heaven on Earth, with people you thought would stand by you forever. With them, life was easy. With them, you could do anything.

And these people accepted me. They were wonderful, pure, comical. They were innocent. They were careless teens who enjoyed life and lived it to the fullest, despite people's protests. They let me be one of them. And it was a beautiful life with them.

But in a matter of seconds, the world begins to spin without you. The skies turn grayer, the clouds are denser, the sun is no longer shining on your side of town. The days are shorter, the years feel longer, and everyday without them is another day not to look forward to. Because suddenly, they are living and you are not.

You are on the outside looking in.

Some say I have an imagination to envy, but I do not think so. When I look up into the sky and see white clouds, I don't see what they would see: For they would see bunnies and monsters and cakes and celebrities shifting in the clouds. But I, I would not see this. And I envied them for this.

I envied the way they could laugh heartedly, holding onto their stomachs at the ridiculous shapes they imagined lived at the sky above. "John Lennon!" "Mickey Mouse?" "It's obviously a cupcake." I envied their innocence; craved their laughter. I used to be like that, but where has that gone?

Has my happiness been engulfed by the empty skies above? Have the natural elements in the sky absorbed my laughter, my smiles, my blissfulness, and created a world I did not know about?

I am sitting on wet grass, on the highest hilltop peak in town. I am far away from them, but they do not notice I am actually hovering above them. I am watching from a distance; hearing their giggles and their jokes—jokes I helped create.

The sky is a cerulean blue, like the Mediterranean Sea on a summer day. With my hollow eyes, I see shapes forming in the sky. I do not guess what they are, who they may portray. I stare into the sky, the sun's powerful rays warming my skin. But I shiver instead.

For now, my world is nothing but empty skies and dense clouds. Rainy days and cold mornings. Sullen smiles and hollow eyes. For now, I don't see the New World in my world. I don't see a future, a future with me in it, or a world outside of Earth.

For now, I will sit by the hilltops and watch my old friends come and go.

For now, I will be looking from the outside in.

Because for now, my world is nothing but empty skies and lost dreams.

But I will wait for that New World; I will live to see its day.