Status: Updated Feb. 14, 2014

Love With a Motive

You Snuck Your Way Right Into My Heart

I hated the world.

The universe, who I considered to be a really great friend of mine and who had always had my back before, betrayed me and I had no idea what I did to make it hate me so much. What other reason could there be for Brian liking Lindsay Perkins if the universe didn’t hate me?

None!

I turned onto my back on my bed and glared up at my ceiling as though it would have the answers to my problems written in gold on it just waiting for me to read them and become enlightened.

I was a good person. I did my homework, made passing grades, recycled when Liv reminded me to. I never lied when I could help it. I respected my parents and never talked back to them, so why was the universe making my life miserable? I mean, it’s not like I went around killing people and wearing their face skins for Halloween or anything.

Maybe, the little voice in the back of my head that sounded an awful like Liv said, maybe the universe doesn’t hate you. Maybe Brian just likes Lindsay.

“Shut up,” I grumbled as I turned the volume on my iPod up loud enough to drown out my own thoughts. Being alone with my thoughts was always a dangerous thing but it was even worse when I was upset about something.

I hadn’t spoken to Liv since she dropped me and Matt off after the party; not that she hadn’t been calling or texting me. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone and the one person I did want to talk to was also the last person I wanted to see right now. I wasn’t looking forward to school on Monday either where I’d have to see Brian and Lindsay flirting together and being all couple-y. I hated school enough as it is and now I just have another reason to not want to go. Maybe mom would consider home schooling me...

I hated this. I hated feeling depressed. I hated Brian for making me hate Lindsay even though I knew she was a cool person. I hated Matt and Liv for putting the stupid fake girlfriend thing in Brian’s head in the first place. I hated that I was crying over this. I hated hating everything.

Taking a deep breath, I sighed and sat up and wiped at my damp cheeks. Fine, if Brian likes Lindsay, I’m just going to have to get over him.

Easier said than done.

For the first time all day, I left my room and went to the kitchen to get something to eat, even though I was feeling depressed the message hadn’t gotten to my stomach and I was starving. Sniffling and wiping away any remaining wetness from my eyes, I opened the fridge and bent over to peer inside for something quick to eat.

“Are you planning to contaminate something else with your germs, K?”

I jumped at the sudden question and hit my head. “Ow,” I gently rubbed the back of my head and slowly moved away from the kitchen appliance before I could hurt myself again. “Shut up, Brian. That really hurt.”

Brian stopped laughing and smiled at me apologetically.

“What are you doing here anyway?” I asked turning away from him so he wouldn’t see my red, puffy eyes.

“Well, Matt called me and told me that you haven’t been out of your room all day.”

“So?” I still didn’t turn to face him.

I heard Brian sigh. “Last night didn’t go according to plan.”

“What? I thought that you and Lindsay—”

Brian grabbed my shoulders and spun me around to look at him, his eyes stared into mine intently.

“There is no me and Lindsay.”

“Wh-what?”

Brian’s eyes flashed with what looked like humor then understanding and in that moment I knew he knew. He knew that I liked him. I sucked in a deep breath and tore my eyes from his as I felt the embarrassment flood my body. My cheeks felt molten and I thought I was going to die on the spot from the humiliation.

He knew!

This feeling was worse than the thoughts I had all day of Lindsay and Brian together swimming in my mind.

“You’re such a jerk,” my voice came out in a thick whisper as my eyes quickly filled with tears.

“Kara,” his voice was gentle as he pulled me into him, his arms wrapped tightly around me as he kissed my temple softly.

I was too mad and embarrassed to push him away from me and just cried into his chest. How could he do this to me? If he knew I liked him, why would he do this? How could he be so cruel?

“Just hear me out before you decide you hate me, please?” He whispered into my hair.

My voice was muffled against his chest. “Why should I?”

“I owe it to you.”

I grunted in agreement. No shit.

“At the party you were supposed to see that Lindsay and I were gone and come looking for us. If you had looked upstairs in Eric’s bedroom, you would have found me alone, waiting for you.”

“What?” I pulled away from him slightly. “Why?”

“I had my guitar with me and I was going to play a song for you to let you know how I feel about you. But you never showed up. If I had known that my idea was so stupid and not romantic, I would have never gone through with it. I know now that I should have just asked you out instead of coming up with something elaborate. I’m so sorry for making you think I wanted Lindsay.

“Hanging out with you over the past few months has been a lot of fun and I would love it if you would be my girlfriend, Kara.”

My mouth popped open in sheer shock. My brain was having trouble processing what Brian had told me. He liked me, too; he wanted to be my boyfriend. I couldn’t believe it. “I hate you,” I smiled slowly as I pushed myself closer to him, my head rested on his chest again. “You’re so stupid, Brian.”

“I know,” Brian chuckled and his gently lifted my chin up with his hand so that I could look up at him again. “Can you forgive me?”

I opened my mouth to answer him when he lowered his head and kissed me slowly. The heat from his mouth drove all thought from my mind. I moaned when I felt his tongue softly stroking my lower lip and my mouth opened slightly. He gently sucked on my lower lip and my knees buckled. I heard him chuckle as his hold on me tightened so I wouldn’t fall.

When Brian finally stopped kissing me my heart was pounding so hard in my chest that I was sure he could hear it.

“So, am I forgiven?”

“Only if you keep kissing me like that,” I said breathlessly, meaning every word.

I saw Brian’s eyes darken and a slow smile curved his lips before he lowered them to mine again.

I couldn’t think, I could only kiss Brian back. No one had ever kissed me like this before.

“What the hell is going on here?”

My lips froze against Brian’s and I squealed.

“I was just asking Kara to be my girlfriend,” Brian said confidently.

“Hi, Matt,” I waved unable to quite meet my brother’s eyes.

Matt stood there with a scowl on his face and he glared at Brian, his arms crossed menacingly over his chest. I squirmed a little and Brian let his grip on me loosen a bit still keeping me close to his side. Matt didn’t say a single word as he stared at us and I was just waiting for the blow out.

“Huh,” Matt finally said and uncrossed his arms. “’Bout time.”

I blinked. That was it? No screams? No punches? No threats? No fiery apocalypse?!

“You’re okay with me and Brian?” My voice came out small and Matt smiled over at me.

“As long as he knows what will happen to him if ever breaks your heart,” I could hear the barely concealed warning and looked up at Brian as he nodded toward Matt.

They shared a look of understanding before they smiled at each other again, the tension gone from their faces.

“Looks like I owe Liv twenty bucks,” Matt chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck.

“What?” I asked, my confusion colored my voice.

“We had a bet going to see when you’d end up together. If you two had held out for another two weeks, I would have won,” he grinned. “I’ll call her and tell her the good news,” he said and started to leave the kitchen. “Oh, and Brian?”

“Yeah?”

“Treat her like a princess.”

Brian looked down at me with warm chocolate eyes. “Always.”

I smiled over at my older brother and laughed. It was a purely involuntary sound and I felt all the tension that had built up in my body over the last forty-eight hours relax. Brian pulled me into a warm hug and I breathed in his cologne deeply, memorizing the soft musky smell.

“So, is it a yes?” Brian asked. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

I smiled and leaned up to kiss him softly. “Yes.”

“Good, and next time I plan a surprise for you, I’ll include Liv in on the planning process that way I don’t make you cry again,” his thumb caressed my cheek.

“That’s probably a good idea,” I laughed.

Brian moved us over to the table and sat down and pulled me into his lap. He wrapped his arms around me and we just sat there silently. I couldn’t stop smiling. Having Brian here with me now more than made up for how I was feeling earlier.

I should have known from how I felt,
When we were together and even more when we were apart.
You tiptoed in, and you got under my skin.
You snuck your way right into my heart.
I put up barriers, to shield my emotions.
A wall that you could never break apart.
Like a ninja of love, repelling down from above.
You snuck your way right into my heart.
Oh yeah.


I started laughing when Brian finished singing. “Is that what you had planned for to play for me last night?”

Brian smirked down at me. “Well, I know how much you love Phineas and Ferb.”

I kissed him again and felt Brian smile against my lips as he drove all thought from my mind. Everything was absolutely perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short and sweet. :)
I hope you all liked this Kara and Brian short story.

Title credit: Love Händel - You Snuck Your Way Right Into My Heart