Soon Everybody Will Ask What Became of You

one/one

As Sicily walked down the aisle towards Zacky, she never really expected her life to spiral in such an odd direction, not after doing as simple of a task as sending a letter. But she knew that at the end of the day, regardless of everything that happened, she was happy with the way things turned out. She may not have what society deems a normal life, but it was perfect for her.

-----


"So for your creative writing assignment, I have thought up a way so that you can not only get graded, but you have a chance to… let's just say help someone out" Sicily's English professor grinned at the front of the class. She instantly grabbed the pile of paper on her desk and handed it to the class so that they could pass it back.

When the sheet reach Sicily she looked down at the purpose of this assignment. It stated that they would be teamed up with a prison in-mate and they would be writing letters to and from each other. A soft murmur spread through the class as they also thought it was a bit odd.

"Some of you may say that this is a bit… barbaric if you will. However, these people are left in jail cells with their only contact being other criminals. I thought it would be nice for them to talk to someone who isn't completely mental. Thus, this assignment. You will just be simply graded on your participation." Professor Mosely stated before she started calling each student one by one so she could tell them who they were pared up with.

When Sicily's name was called she stood up and walked towards the desk. Professor Mosely asked her to take a seat and then paused for a second before speaking.

"So Sicily, you are one of the best students in my class, which is why I want to talk to you about this specific person." She said softly "You are one of the kindest people I know and I can trust you to see the good in people. Which is why I have a proposal… the person I'd like to pair you up with has killed many people. Perhaps you've heard of him? Zachary Baker?"

Sicily nodded, she remembered seeing his face all over the news. He committed several crimes and homicides in the Huntington Beach area, one of which was her best friend Lina's older sister. Although she did have a huge heart, she couldn't figure out why someone would do that to a lovely woman who had done nothing wrong. The fact that out of all people, she was to be paired up with him for her creative writing project made her sick. One part of her didn't want anything to do with the guy. Another part of her wanted to somehow get to know him, get to know what had driven him to do such horrendous crimes.

In the end she decided to go with him. Professor Mosely gave her a few more instructions on the creative writing project and then sent her off to start writing. She had no idea where to begin, what to say, and how she wanted to approach the letter.

Two weeks later she headed towards the prison so that she could drop off the letter at the office. Professor Mosely had given her the choice to extend the deadline with the only consequence being that she had to go and drop it off herself. She didn't have to have any contact with any of the inmates though. She decided to take her up on that offer since she was stuck in a rut confused as to what she should say to a serial killer.

She dropped of the letter making sure that the lady at the front desk promised to give it to Zachary and then left with a small smile on her face regarding her sense of achievement. On the way out she didn't notice the dark haired man staring at her through the window extremely curious about who she was.

He stared at the red hair beauty walking towards her car. She had a perfect figure and was beautiful but not in a fake way. He was so distracted by her that he didn't notice a prison guard banging on his door. He quickly looked up to see him holding a letter which he ran and snatched from his hands and hastily opened.

Dear Zachary Zacky,
Yes, I'm going to call you Zacky.

I don't know what to say right now, so I'll just state what's on my mind at this exact moment. Here I am, writing a letter to a serial killer, one who killed a rather close friend none the less, all for what? A stupid English class so that I can graduate college and move on with my life? Honestly, I had the choice of choosing someone else to write to, but for some reason I had to say yes to writing a letter to you. What is it about you that is so goddamn intriguing?

I wish I could figure out what went through your mind when you went to go kill those people. The news said that you never knew those people either, so what made you decide to go and kill innocent people? What was going through your mind when you dug a knife through their stomach and carved your initial "Z.V." in them? And perhaps most of all, how could you do this?

There's videos of you, before you did this all, on youtube you know. You used to be part of a metal band correct? Avenged Sevenfold? I watched some interviews, you seemed like a really funny and down to earth person. To be honest, you were kind of really handsome as well. You were funny, kind of stupid, but in the good way. I think that if it wasn't for the fact that you killed several people or were in prison, or that you "left" the band, I probably would have had a huge crush on you.

I don't mean to be rude when I ask this, but "What the fuck happened?"

I have spent the past two weeks trying to figure out what to write to you in this letter. From what my professor tells us, most people are lonely in there. I don't blame you, trying to live without good human contact is hard. Is it for you though? If you are lonely, I honestly hope that this helps. And thus, I leave you with some words of inspiration if you will.

Just know that everything gets better. We all fuck up, some more than others. I guess you just did quite a bit. I truly believe that there is good in everyone and just guessing, I think you went down the wrong path. You don't have to stay there forever though. You were such a wonderful person before, I can only hope that you end up being that person again someday. I'd love to get to know him.

And I bid you adieu,
Sicily.


After he finished reading the letter he felt his heart start racing at the last few sentences. It was at that moment that he knew he had to change, not only for himself but so he could get the hell out of there and find whoever Sicily was, Sicily, the girl who was the one for him.