‹ Prequel: I Still Hear the Rain

Remembering Sunday

Fine, I'll Get Help

Brittany-

I was driving back to Baltimore today. I had my three year old in the car watching some kiddy movie. The drive just brought back all the memories. Once I saw the “Welcome to Baltimore” sign I knew there was no turning back. Not like I was going to anyway. No matter how much Alex put me through during high school, I’ll always have a place for him in my heart. He was my first love. As I pulled to a stop at a stop light I was quick to text Jack and tell him I was in town.

“Mommy, why are we here?” Maddy asked as she looked away from her movie.

“Just to see a few of Mommy’s friends.”

“Oh. How come they never come over like Ethan did?”

“They live far away.” I sighed. I really hoped that in some way, shape or form Alex was okay. I didn’t want to get to Baltimore to see him in that state. Part of me just hoped it was just a joke. But I knew. I knew that it was no joke. When I finally reached Jack’s street, the memories all came back. From when I first became friends with the guys to when I left. As I pulled up to the Barakat home I saw the three familiar faces waiting for us.

“BEAR!” Maddy screamed from her car seat. Before I could let her out she managed to unbuckle herself. I opened the door and she flew out right for Jack.

“Hey Maddy.” He chuckled and picked her up. “Zack and Rian are gonna hang out with you today, okay? I need to talk to mommy okay?” She nodded before he put her down. As I walked o Jack she ran to the other two.

“Hi Jack.” I spoke quietly.

“Don’t go saying that in an airport.” He was still the same Jack. “Look, I was wondering if we
could talk about this.” I nodded.

“Alright.” We got into my car and drove off.

“The reason I asked you to come back was for Alex own well-being. He’s not the same without you. He knows that he fucked up. All he talks about is going back and changing it all. We might not fully understand why you left, but we get it. Alex- When he found out you were gone, it nearly killed him. He spent all of his time isolated from everyone. He’d sit outside waiting for you, to see if it might have been just dream. We all thought he’d get better and just move on and let you go but he didn’t. That’s when he turned to the alcohol. It’s becoming a problem. That’s why we needed you to come here and talk to him. You and Maddy are our only hope.” I knew I had to talk to Alex. It was just getting the strength to do it.

“When do I need to go talk to him?”

“Later, my mom is going to watch Maddy with Mrs. G. We’ll go talk to him, then bring you in. Then we’ll bring in Maddy if everything goes as planned.” He said hopefully. I too had hoped that I could save Alex. I glanced at my left hand. The small diamond sparkled. Jack must have caught me looking at it. “When is the big day?”

“Oh, we just made the date. October 21st.”

“Congratulations Brit. I’m happy for you. I’m sure he’s a great guy.”

“He is. We actually have invitations for you guys.” I handed Jack the four envelopes. He nodded slowly. “So when are we doing this?”

“When we get back.”

We now stood in front of the Gaskarth home. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. The little girl in my arms didn’t remember anything. Yet, that is. When she sees Alex, I’m sure she will. Jack, Rian and Zack lead me up to the door. Once we were in Mrs. Gaskarth and Mrs. Barakat took Maddy and went into the kitchen to make cookies. Leaving the four of us to take care of business. They entered his room leaving me in the corridor.

“Alex, man. Get up. We have to talk.” Rian said sternly.

“I don’t want to.” Alex sounded so drained. He sounded sick. Hoarse. “Just go home.”

“No, we need to talk. You can’t keep living like this. You know that.” Jack added.

“Why bother? I have nothing left to live for.”

“Yes you do.” Zack sighed. “We have someone who wants to see you.” That was my cue to enter. I entered the dark bedroom. It smelled of vodka and all sorts of alcohol. Empty bottles were scattered all over the floor.

“Alex.”

“Brittany?” He slowly sat up. “Brittany, you’re here.” He shot up out of bed and hugged me. I pushed him off of me. He looked at me with hurt in his eyes.

“You need to shower and shave. Go get cleaned up then we will talk. Okay?” I stated firmly.

“But how do I know you won’t leave again?”

“I’ll still be here. I promise.”

“Why’d you come back?” He looked at me with bloodshot eyes.

“Jack and Zack called me. I came to help you.”

“I don’t need help. I just need you. I don’t want help, all I want is you and Maddy.” His eyes
filled with tears.

“Alex- I-” I was cut off by a kiss. The kiss was full of lust. Alex pressed his tongue against
my lip begging for entrance. Against my better judgment I gave in. He pushed his way in. I could taste the alcohol on his breath. We pulled away breathless.

“I’ve waited so long to do that.” He mumbled against my lips. He placed his forehead to mine.

“Alex, we can’t be. You need help. Please Alex, do it for Maddy.” He sighed and nodded.

“Alright. I’ll do it. But you have to agree to give me another chance.”

“Alex, I’m- Fine. I’ll give you another chance if you go and get help.” What was I saying? I’m engaged. I can’t do that.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey sorry i havent been updating in forever. i've been sick and i have to study for midterms. plus im like failing a bunch of classes. so i have to study more, i guess. :/ but ill try to update as often as i can.