A Witch's Curse

Preface: The Tangled Threads of Fate

It was an ordinary day, the type of day that doesn’t stick in one’s mind, that the threads of fate became tangled.

For Mason Devlin and his father Travis, they would remember it as a day that an honor owed to them was finally given to them. They would remember that day only because they met with Daniel Ashworth who was the current Keeper of an ancient curse that would be passed down to Mason because Daniel was dying of cancer and because he had no sons to carry on the burden of the Keeper’s Curse. For those two it was a proud day. They certainly wouldn’t remember the girl who rushed down the stairs.

For Lydia Ashworth, she would remember that day as being late for her job at the local bookstore. She would only remember glancing at two men walking into her grandfather’s home office as she raced down the stairs, but Lydia wouldn’t think anything of it because someone always came by to visit her grandfather since the news of his cancer had spread around. Lydia would remember that she had the night shift at her grandfather’s restaurant; that the electric bill was due the next day, and she most certainly would remember her grandfather’s chemo appointment. However, Lydia would not remember seeing sometime later that day a BMW driving pass the front of the store.

For Gregory Thorsen, he would remember that day as having found that girl again. The girl who had haunted his mind from the moment he’d laid eyes on her. He would remember a day from several years ago of bumping into a girl with wheat color hair and stunning golden eyes—his brother’s eyes. Gregory would remember how he hadn’t paid much attention to her until he’d finished with his meeting, how something trivial had sparked his memory of her eyes, and how Gregory had just about given up his search for her when he’d seen her standing in the front window. Gregory would remember feeling how fast his heartbeat at the thought of finally knowing the truth about the girl and those eyes so similar to his brother’s. Gregory would not remember the name of the bookstore, nor the board meeting with the hospital he owned.

That day will be remembered and forgotten differently for each of them. But for fate that was the day that the pebble was dropped and the ripples released into the still water causing events that promised to change lives forever in ways that only fate could predict.

That was the day it all started, and none of them would ever know it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short and took so long for me to get out. I don't know when I'll get the next chapter out, I'm taking nineteen units this quarter so we'll see what happens. :) Comments would be lovely.