10 Ways to Fall in Love

Way 4: Falling in Love with the Bitch of the School

Zach was showing me around school, mainly telling me who is who, and who to avoid because I am a freshman, and he is a sophomore. I know Zach from our band. Zach plays bass, and I sing and play guitar. Our band is currently called Outerspace Politicians.

“Now Nathan, avoid those three girls. Mainly Plum. She is the leader. They are my age, but they rule the school. Plum is known as the ice queen for a reason. If people don’t call her ice queen they call her the bitch of the school. She can make anyone’s life hell so I suggest you avoid her at all costs.”

The girls walk towards us, and one of the groupies says, “Hi Zach.”

“Hi Monica.”

I give him a look asking him what?

“Hockey.”

I shake my head in understanding realizing that he is slightly cool because of that, and they talk to cool guys. I say good bye and walk to class not wanting to be caught in it all.

I am walking to lunch when Plum stops me and says, “You’re a freshman and you were talking to Zach. What’s the deal?”

“We’re friends. We are in the same band.”

“Ah! Well something you need to know is I run t he school, so watch it.”

“Alright. Your point? I already knew this.”

“Just watch it Darmody!” She says before stalking away. I have no idea how she knew my name, but I know its probably best not to find out.

The weeks go by with glares and rude insults that I just ignore from Plum. Why she decided to pick on me I’m not sure, but whatever the reason it doesn’t matter. I don’t care to be honest. What is weird is she keeps looking at me when she isn’t insulting me, and not glaring either… just looking. It confuses me so I ignore it.

One day during lunch I was planning on spending time in the music room because it had been a long day; Plum has been more annoying than usual.

As I am about to walk in I hear someone singing “Everything Everything” by This Century. I look in and see that Plum is the one singing. Her heels are gone, her hair is up, her scowl is gone, and her guard is down, she’s beautiful. She looks like a typical teen, not some bitch. Her singing voice is beautiful, and when she is done I walk in clapping.

“I like you like this better. Your guard is down. In here you are nothing but a normal teen.”

“Don’t tell anyone, or else!”

“No need to threaten. I’m not going to ruin your rep. Just stay here with me awhile, and let me get to know the real you, not the girl prowling the halls.”

“Why can I trust you?”

“Never said you can.”
“Why do you want to get to know me?”
“Because this girl seems very cool. She isn’t known as a bitch or an ice queen. She is simply herself, a typical teen, and she seems happier than the ice queen prowling the halls for people to hurt.”

She sits on the floor and gestures for me to join her as she says, “What do you want to know?”

Every day from that point on during lunch Plum and I met in the music room and talked. In that room she turned into a regular teen. Then we would leave the room and pretend that we hate each other and that we have never hung out before. I didn’t hate her; I hope she still doesn't hate me. I can’t hate her anymore. I know her too well to hate her.

This goes on for months. A full semester to be exact. We even texted during winter break and over the weekend.

She still pretended to be mean to me during school, but a minute after each insult I get a text saying, “I’m SO SORRY Nate. I didn’t mean it!”

This goes on and on as much as I wish we could openly be friends I know that won’t happen. I wish it would though because I’m falling for her, the real her.

One day Plum comes up to me and says, “Hi Nathan.” When she says this Cameron and Zach’s jaws drop.

“Hi Plum. What’s up?”

“We said this semester is about risks, so no more secrets?”

“I would like that. A lot.”

“What is going on bro? She is a bitch I told you to stay away from her.”

I ignore Zach because he doesn’t know the real her and tell Plum, “We said risks right?”

She nods her head. “Risks it is.” Then I kiss her. She wraps her arms around my neck and kisses me back. Everyone gasps, but we just laugh to each other against each other’s lips before we continue to kiss. It was simply meant to be. She wasn’t meant to be the ice queen for four years, she was meant to be mine.

That is how I, Nathan Darmody, got my girlfriend of four years. Today is the day I graduate, and although she graduated last year we are still together. What I find funny is that every day she thanks me for getting her to be herself in high school. That day we kissed was the day she lost her group of friend for me, for our current friends. The day she lost her heels for chucks. The day she lost her dress for jeans and a band tee. And the day she lost her heart to me. Which was perfect because I had already lost my heart to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
originally titled Turning Her Good