10 Ways to Fall in Love

Way 8: Falling in Love with the Person who is always there, but you never noticed

“Do you really have to leave now? And actually act like you know that loser?” Josh asked Zach.

“Yeah it’s for my dad’s business I don’t have a choice.” Zach the boy with eyes that make the ocean look dull says.

“Good luck bro. Peace.”

“Peace man.”

Zach walks over to people he would never be seen with unless he had no choice. They are a group of people with wearing hoodies, with the hoods up, and more black than needed, and at that moment they were laughing their asses off. Zach approaches them, and every smile falls off their faces. “Star we have to go now otherwise our dads will be mad and my dad insisted I take you.” Zach tells the girl with pure black hair, and eyes the color of rich chocolate.

“Alright Zach. Bye guys.” she tells her friends as she walks away.

“What are you listening to?” He asks her.

His question simply throws her through a loop, they have known each other for seventeen years, and not once has he asked her what she was listening to, and she ALWAYS has at least one ear bud in. She puts her hands in the pockets of the hoodie and replies, “Right now “Dead End” by the Format.”

“You like the Format?” The boy asks her clearly surprised.

“Yeah love them. You know just because I dress this way doesn’t mean I act a certain way or like a specific music.” She says obviously offended.

“Sorry that was insensitive of me.” He simply replies assuming that she will easily forgive him.

“Sorry for that, out of all the things you do you claim to be insensitive about this is the one you admit, it makes me laugh.” She mumbles under her breath but Zach still catches it, realizing there is a fire in her.

Star quickly goes to her car, grabs her dress for the function and returns. She slides into the front seat of Zach’s car like she has done many times before, but nothing has changed she doesn’t feel welcome in his car, and she feels she never will. This thought makes her sigh in annoyance. She has known this boy seventeen years, her and his whole life, and they will never be comfortable with each other even though their parents continue to throw them together in the sheer hope they will fall in love. Star mentally laughs her parents hopes for good reason.

Zach turns up the music, which he changed to a Format CD while she was grabbing her dress so that they will both enjoy the music. Star pulls out her headphone and rocks out to “Wait, Wait, Wait” by the Format, leaving Zach in shock that she can sing, and pulled out her ear buds. Even during all the functions she is forced to, even when there is music playing she always has an ear bud in. Zach is happy he has resulted in her pulling out her ear bud.
They arrive to their destination. Star thanks Zach for the ride, exits the car and goes inside to change.

Zach changes and comes out wearing an ocean blue collared shirt with nice pants and converse. He looks up and he sees Star enter wearing a bright red dress that contrasts with her hair and her eyes making her really pop. He takes one look at her and he actually forgets to breathe. He watches her enter, and he is so mystified by her beauty he looks at her for five minutes without realizing time has gone by. Zach has seen her wearing things other than jeans, hoodie, and too much black but he never really looked before. The incident in the car caused him to pay more attention to her, and what he saw took his breath away.
Star walks out of the room in her favorite dress which is a blood red. She walks our feeling confident, mainly because she convinced her parents to let her wear he matching red chucks. She walks out with a confident smile on her face, and her red ear buds in her ear. When she walks out she feels a pair of eyes staring at her. She looks around the room and sees Zach starring at her. For a moment she stares at him in his ocean blue shirt, before thinking better of it and looking away. For a small period of time she had a crush on him, and the last thing she wants to do is relive that.

Her parents flaunt her around like they always do. Telling everyone how much she loves music and how her voice is a voice of an angel, which she thinks is total B.S, but she doesn’t say anything because she knows they are making up an excuse for her ear buds.
As her parents parade her around one family who is jealous of hers insists that Star sings due to the fact her parents have been unknowingly claiming that she has an amazing voice. Lucky for her parents she actually does sing decently well; however, her parents don’t know that when she is forced up on stage and handed a microphone. She takes the microphone, and tells the band to play a song she knows all too well, “Breathe (2AM)” by Anna Nalick. She opens her mouth looking at the expression on her parents face, which is of pure fear, making her internally laugh. She sings the all too familiar lyrics knowing they describe her life.

She sings, “2 AM and she calls me 'cause I'm still awake,
"Can you help me unravel my latest mistake?,
I don't love him. Winter just wasn't my season"
Yeah we walk through the doors, so accusing their eyes
Like they have any right at all to criticize,
Hypocrites. You're all here for the very same reason

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button, girl.
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

May he turned 21 on the base at Fort Bliss
"Just a day" he said down to the flask in his fist,
"Ain't been sober, since maybe October of last year."
Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But, my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him. Maybe I'll just sing about it.

Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table.
No one can find the rewind button, boys,
So cradle your head in your hands,
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you'd only try turning around.

2 AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
Threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to

But you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now
Sing it if you understand.
and breathe, just breathe
woah breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe.”

When she finished she looks at the crowd, for some reason her eyes are searching for someone specific, Zach. She doesn’t know why she is looking for him, why his opinion matters; all she knows is that his opinion does matter. The entire crowd looks purely shocked, and when she looks at Zach he looks amazed and in a trance, there is also something else in his eyes she can’t describe. The crowd bursts into the loudest applause she has ever heard as she walks off the stage. She walks back to her parents who are simply relieved that no one caught their bluff because apparently it wasn’t one. Not long after they are flaunting voice and want to do it without her there. They tell her to “Go find her good friend Zachary.” She walks and finds Zach among a crowd of people seeing that his parents shooed him away as well.

Zach is being paraded around like a trophy by his parents for a bit as usual, except this time his head is filled with thoughts of Star. Eventually he is let free being told to find Star, while being lectured on the fact that the two aren’t friends, while no one is looking. He is about to search for her when he finds out she will be singing. This intrigues him because he runs on music as does she, also he is the lead singer for his band Allstar so he knows how to sing, and he wants to know if she can sing as well.

He listens to her and when she finishes he is shocked. Her voice is like an angel, delicate, strong, full of emotion, and perfect just like her speaking voice. He starts to walk around afterwards meaning to clear his head instead of doing what he is suppose to, which would be to look for Star. Eventually he hears her melodic voice say, “Hey Zach, you know the drill.”

“Why don’t we change it up this time and actually talk instead of pretending.” He suggest to her.

“Um… sure why not, but if you think I’m taking out my ear—“

“I would never expect that.”

“Ok how do you want to do this?”

“Like twenty questions, but things about each other sound ok?”

“Sure” she says with a small smile, “You can go first.”

“Favorite movie?”

“The Dark Knight. Favorite book?”

“Confederacy of Dunces. All time favorite song ?

“”Breathe 2AM” favorite color?”

“I’m picking two, blue and yellow.”

“Fine don’t answer the question” she jokingly jeers at him.

“I’m taking liberties. Favorite shape?”

“Heart.” She looks at his face, searching for a surprised expression, but none appears which means he is actually getting to know her which makes her happy, “Ok have you ever gotten beaten up?”

“Yes…” Zach says as he continues to tell his story about how he was insulting people in a
skate park and he was asking for it, at the end of the story they are both laughing, and for once their laughter at these events was real. “Alright favorite animal?”

“Panda, lucky number?”

“14. Best type of cake?”

“There is no answer to that all cake is amazing! What do you do in your free time other than hockey?”

“I’m in a band. Introvert or extravert?”

“Introvert. What is the name of the band?”

“Allstar. Favorite type of book?”

“Romance… you aren’t surprised I can tell by your expression I thought you would be shocked.”

“No because your favorite shape is a heart.” This comment makes her smile.

“What do you play in the band?”

“I’m the singer. Favorite holiday?”

“Other people’s birthdays. Who else is in your band and what do they play?”

“Cameron, bass, Nathan, guitar, Tom, keys, Michael, he doesn’t go to our school, drums.
Favorite drink?”

“Raspberry lemonade. Do you write your own music in your band?”

“Yes, Nathan, Tom and I mainly, but the other guys contribute a little as well. Do you believe in fate?”

“Yes, What is your main role in the writing process?”

“Lyrics. One thing other than music you can’t live without?”

“Stuffed animals. What’s your guilty pleasure?”

“I love meat!!! Ok what is something I don’t know about you?”

“I love colors. I am always wearing something colorful, just not where you can see it. Name one person you are obsessed with?”

“Shania Twain. What is one thing that always makes you smile?”

“People randomly being nice to me. Are you shy or loud?”

“Depends I don’t often come out of my shell, but when I do I mean it. What makes you forget
about the world?”

“Music. When did you know you wanted to be in a band?”

“When I was five I started singing Bruce Springsteen in one of those kiddie pools. Best
relationship you have ever been in?”

“Never been kissed let alone in a relationship. Favorite tv show that is still airing?”

“Ok you can’t tell anyone this but the bachelorette. One thing you want out of life.”

“Love and happiness, sorry that’s two.----“ she was cut off my her mother calling her.

The next say school was normal for Star and Zach that was until gym. In gym Zach’s class was informed that they would be joining the girl’s gym class for the salsa unit. They were also told who they choose will affect their grade, and the girl’s ability to move her hips is key in salsa.

The boys walk into the dance room, the girls aren’t facing the mirror or the guys when they enter, but one thing is clear one girl can more her hips unlike all the others. When the girls stop all the guys run up to the girl. The guys ignore the fact that the girl is a quote unquote loser and beg her to be their partner. Zach is the only guy not doing so because he knows the girl better than all the guys. Zach walks up to her and asks her, “Star will you be my partner?”

When she hears Zach a look of relief fills her faces she says, “Of course Zach.”
Everyone else eventually pairs off and they start to learn the dance with their partners.
Star speaks up and tells Zach “Thanks for saving me. But why did everyone want to be my partner?”

“Cause you can move your hips.”

Weeks pass and Zach and Star become really close between gym and all of the events their fathers force them to attend. No one knows they are friends however. They still approach each other under the pretense of something that has to deal with their parent’s business although they did start hanging out with each other outside of school just for the sake to hang out.

After one function, their fathers once again forced them to attend, they go back to Star’s place. Both of their parents are going to Europe on business for a few weeks and Star and Zach are staying together: orders from their parents, not that they are complaining. They walk into the empty house and the sexual tension that was building between them for the past eighteen years burst.

The second they walk through the door they both lunge towards each other and attack the other’s lips. Before either realizes Zach’s shirt is off, and not soon after so is Star’s. Before much longer they are on Star’s bed. Star starts to kiss down Zach’s neck all the way down to the waist of his pants. Zach shivers and moans. She takes his pants off, and he in return takes off her skirt. She finds her way back to his lips and kisses him some more. Then Zach takes off her bra, and starts to kiss the edge of where the bra previously was. This results in Star moaning Zach’s name which makes him go wild. Before either of them realize what has happened it’s morning.

Zach wakes up to the most beautiful voice singing “I won’t say I’m in Love” from Hercules in the shower.

She sings, “If there's a prize for rotten judgment
I guess I've already won that
No man is worth the aggravation
That ancient history,
Been there done that

Who'd'ya think you're kiddin'
He's the Earth and heaven to you
Try to keep it hidden
Honey, we can see right through you
Girl, ya can't conceal it
We know how ya feel and
Who you're thinking of

No chance, no way
I won't say it, no, no

You swoon, you sigh
why deny it, uh-oh

It's too cliché
I won't say I'm in love

I thought my heart had learned its lesson
It feels so good when you start out
My head is screaming get a grip, girl
Unless you're dying to cry your heart out
Oh

You keep on denying
Who you are and how you're feeling
Baby, we're not buying
Hon, we saw ya hit the ceiling
Face it like a grown-up
When ya gonna own up
That ya got, got, got it bad

No chance, no way
I won't say it, no, no

Give up, but give in
Check the grin you're in love

This scene won't play,
I won't say I'm in love

You're doin flips read our lips
You're in love

You're way off base
I won't say it
Get off my case
I won't say it

Girl, don't be proud
It's okay you're in love

Oh
At least out loud,
I won't say I'm in love”

He hears the shower go off so he goes down stairs and makes breakfast for him and star while immersed in thought.

He was thinking, “What happened last night wasn’t an accident. I wanted her more than I have ever wanted anything in my life. There was always something about her I always ignored it out of fear. It scares me when I think of her because the first thing that pops into my mind when I do think of her is love. LOVE! The idea of love scares me. I’m a teenage boy of course love scares me, but I think I’m ready to deal with that fear with her because if I’m being honest with myself and my heart I love her, I always did, always will. The way she makes me feel is indescribable and undeniable. I realize now all those love lyrics I have ever written she inspired subconsciously. She drives me insane and I wouldn’t trade that feeling or her for anything else in the world.”

Zach wasn’t the only one thinking to himself, Star was thinking to herself as well. Her mind was running faster than the hot water hitting her during her shower. “Again. Again! AGAIN. AGAIN! You fell for him again. More than that this time you gave him something priceless. Your V card! Ok calm down. Listen to your heart… SHIT it keeps saying Zach. ZACH. ZACHARY! I…I…I…I lov… I love…. I love… I love Z…Z…Z… Zach. I LOVE ZACH! All I can do now is hope he loves me too.”

She changes and walks down stairs to Zach who has made her their favorite breakfast and he made it just the way she likes it. He put spinach for her in the omelet although he hates spinach in his omelet.

“Wow Zach! You didn’t have to do that, but thanks.”

“Of course no big.” He rubs the back of his neck and says, “We should talk.”

They both sit down across from each other bringing their food with them.

“I’m listening.” Star tells him.

He realizes it’s now or never. Time to pour his heart out. “I like you Star. I like you much more than anyone should love their friend.”

“Did you just say love?”

“Yeah, OK. I’m a boy, and a teenage boy; the idea of love scares me, but I…I…I Love you
Star. I love you with all my heart. Although I’m scared shitless of all this I will take the risk and deal with my fear as long as I deal with it with and for you.”

“I feel the exact, and I mean exact same way.” Star lovingly tells him.

“Last night I wasn’t using you. That was my true emotions coming through with a
vengeance.”

“Good because that was real for me too. You took something away from me last night that I can never get back, and I don’t regret it.”

“You took the same thing from me as well, and regret is the farthest thought from my mind.”

“I love you Zach. … Wait, no I lied.”

His face that was previously glowing fades instantly.

“I’m in love with you!” She finishes.

The glow returns to his face, and he moves to sit next to her, and that is where their relationship began.

Months pass and the two are going on strong with only a few fights, but both have changed for the better.

Zach started getting better grades and became less judgmental. His lyrics also improved now that he has some clear inspiration.

Star took down her hood and wore her ear buds less. In other words she stopped hiding from the world and she stopped tuning out reality.

They changed and everyone notices, just no one understood why. They made each other better because that’s what love does; especially true love.

They continued to use the family business as an excuse to talk in school, though the family business was rarely the real reason for their communication. They went on dates that were out of Poway, or they stayed in. Their parents knew the two were dating and they were ecstatic about it. The parents had been hoping the two would get together since birth, quite literally.

They became very serious within a month. On one date Zach took her to a movie, bowling, mini golf, and moonlight walk on the beach. Which he knew was her ideal date. On the date he gave her a star necklace. On the front of the necklace it had the word All written on it to symbolize Zach’s band which she silently supported since she couldn’t attend their practices or watch them live without telling everyone they were dating. On the back it had two things engraved. The first said ZP + SR = heart. The second said Future Mrs. Zachary Porter.

Time flies and soon it’s time for Prom. All of Star’s friends are constantly talking about who’s taking them, and about what they are wearing and all of that stuff, and when they do this her mind automatically wanders to Zach. She wishes he could take her, but he can’t; they’re keeping their relationship a secret, still. She’s tired of it being a secret, but she wants him so bad she will take him secret or not.

Zach has had about half of the senior girls in his school, and some not in his school throw themselves at him, all of them hoping that he will ask them to Prom, but he blows them all off. This confuses his friends to no end, and they try asking him about it never receiving a straight answer from him. He keeps thinking about prom and Star, and then taking Star to prom. He finally thinks screw the secret he is taking her to prom, but how to ask her?

A few days later Star walks into school talking to her friends when she sees a group of people surrounding her locker. She pushes through the crowd and when she gets to her locker she sees her locker and the empty lockers surrounding it and gasps.
The lockers are painted. On them there is a crown, a princess, a dragon, a prince saving the princess, and the words “Hey, Princess! Will you go to prom with me? I Love you Star. Love Zach Porter” painted on them. Star turns around to look for Zach, but the second she turns around she is looking right at Zach holding a dozen red roses. He asks her, “Well what do you say princess?”

She is so happy and excited her mouth can’t form words so she just shakes her head yes, runs into his open arms, and kisses him on the lips, which results in hooting and hollering from the crowd which just make them laugh when they pull away.

Their story is sweet and perfect, but it was not what fate had planned for them. Star and Zach were suppose to be great childhood friends and have a classic boy and girl fall for their best friend thing, but when two people are barely born and they experience love at first sight when they are babies things tend to go off course, but lucky for them destiny had their backs; they found each other eventually.
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally You Found Me