Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter One

February 1st, 2012
Wednesday
Greg and Donna’s house, Boston, MA
4:00 P.M.

Donna felt satisfied when she sat down on the couch and looked around at the spotless living room. She slipped off her shows and rubbed her sore feet. The living room was finally completely clean. Tomorrow she’d move onto the kitchen. She looked up at the clock and realized it was 4:00. She only had a half hour to get ready. She had to look nice tonight; Greg was taking her to a fancy restaurant.

Greg parked his car outside and grabbed his hockey bad before going inside. It had been a tough practice today. They had to be prepared to face the Hurricanes tomorrow. When he walked in he was shocked to see the living room so clean. He and Donna had been cleaning up the house and getting things ready next week. On Tuesday, both Donna’s parents and his parents were coming to visit to meet each other. Greg was nervous. It was the first time they were meeting. His father had straight up told him that he didn’t like Donna. He wanted Greg to find a girl from a hockey family. Donna was the very exact opposite of what his dad wanted for him. He’d been pushed by his father all of his life and now that he lived away from his dad he didn’t have to listen to him anymore. His mother liked Donna and thought she was sweet. He’d never met Donna’s parents. They lived in Florida. They were happy that their daughter had found a boyfriend she loved. He just hoped that when their parents met they’d get along.

He out his things down and heard the shower running. He went into the bedroom to get dressed. He was taking Donna out to eat at an upscale restaurant. A nice dress shirt and pants would work. When Donna came out of the bathroom he said

“Nice job on the living room.” Donna smiled and said

“Thanks the kitchen’s your job next. The only reason I was able to finish the whole thing is because I had today off.”

“I’ll do it tomorrow morning when you’re at work. Are you coming to the game tomorrow night?”

“Ya, I get out of work at 6:00 so I won’t see you beforehand, but I’ll be there.” Donna and Greg were busy people. While Greg had constant practices, away games, and training, Donna worked days and night shifts at Mass General hospital as a nurse. They were like any other couple; they went to work and spent as much time together as possible on their time off. Life as a hockey girlfriend wasn’t as extravagant or glamorous as people would think. A lot of the other girlfriends and wives she’d met didn’t work and stayed at home. Donna was the type of person who always needed to be doing something. It was understandable to her why some of the wives who had kids didn’t work to be stay at home moms but Donna didn’t understand how some of the girls without kids could sit at home. Donna liked having a set schedule and always having something to do. Back when she was with Henry he had restricted her from working and during the day she felt like she was wasting her life away.

“When do you leave next?” asked Donna.

“We’re playing the Capitals on Sunday night so we’re leaving Saturday night right after our game against the Penguins.”

“I’ll call Allison and see if we can have a girls night on Saturday.” Ever since Donna started dating Greg she had become much more social. Her closest friends were Allison, David Krejci’s girlfriend and Raina, Milan Lucic’s wife. They all had busy lives and had to plan days out that they were all free to do something. Allison was a ballerina for a dance company in Boston and she constantly had rehearsals while Raina was a stay at home mom for her two babies.

Another thing that helped Donna was therapy. She went every week to see her therapist Lisa. It helped her incredibly. She was a much happier person but she still had the issue of paranoia. She found herself still paranoid of other people around her. She was suspicious of their thoughts, actions, and words even if she knew in the back of her mind that they meant no harm. She could be more paranoid with people she knew. She had never admitted it to Greg or her friends, not wanting them to worry. As she was putting in earrings she felt and saw Greg in the mirror come up behind her and wrap his arms around her and kiss her cheek.

“I love you Donna,” he said.

“I love you too Greg.” He buried his face into the side of her neck. Donna felt the soft sensation of him lightly kissing the sensitive skin where her neck sloped down into her shoulder. She smiled at herself in the mirror. She loved feeling satisfied with her life. She wanted things to stay that way forever.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading everyone!

Comment and tell me how you think the first chapter is :)