Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Sixteen

February 23rd, 2012
Thursday
TD Garden, Boston, MA
6:10 P.M.

Greg sat in the locker room tying up his skates. He tuned out the loud talking around him and was deep in thought. Donna had left for work, leaving him and Felicia alone for an hour before he had to leave for the game. She had made him an early dinner and talked his ear off about what it was like living in Philly. He didn’t see anything so flirtatious about what she had done. He felt someone heavily clap him on the back. He looked up to see Tyler who said

“So how is it?” confused Greg asked

“How’s what?”

“How’s living with Felicia?” asked Tyler.

“Shut up Ty,” said Greg. “She’s Donna’s sister.”

“She’s hot,” said Tyler.

“She’s 26,” said Greg. “Far too old for a 20-year-old like you.”

“Can you please set us up?” asked Tyler.

“I’ll do what I can,” said Greg.

“Maybe you should think about settling down with one girl?” said Nathan.

“I’m 20,” said Tyler. “I don’t need to even think about that yet,” said Tyler.

“When’s your wife due?” Greg asked Nathan.

“Around St. Patty’s day,” said Nathan.

“How excited are you?” asked Greg.

“Very,” said Nathan. “But it’ll be tough; hopefully he’ll be a good baby like Dylan was. I’ve been going up to Canada every weekend to visit my sick cousin so Tammy will have every Saturday to herself.” They had twenty minutes before they had to go out on the ice for warm ups. They did what they usually did, sat around talking about family, other NHL teams, anything that came up. To Greg’s disappointment the subject of Felicia came up again.

“So how is it living with two women?” asked Caron. Greg rolled his eyes, sick of everyone asking him the same thing. “It would be cool if you let me meet her.”

“It’s too late I already called it!” said Tyler. “Is she in the crowd tonight Greg?”

“Ya,” said Greg. To change the subject he said “Are we going out tonight if we win?”

“Ya,” said Tyler. Claude came in to give them the usual before game speech.

Donna was in the room of one of her patients, an elderly woman named Sarah who was recovering from a bad pneumonia. She was re-filling her medicine and bringing her a bouquet of flowers that someone had sent her. She’s been caring for her for the past week so she knew her well.

“Nice to see you Donna,” said Sarah.

“You too Sarah,” said Donna. “I have some flower for you; they’re from your grandsons again.”

“Lovely,” said Sarah. Donna handed her the large bouquet of daisies as she restocked Sarah’s medicine and neatened up the room for her. “Will you please put these in the vase for me?” asked Sarah.

“Of course,” said Donna. She placed the flowers in the glass vase next to Sarah’s bed, next to another vase full of last week’s flowers. “Your grandsons really miss you.” said Donna.

“Oh yes,” said Sarah. “We used to watch all of the Bruins games together on nights like this.” Donna smiled and said

“There’s one on tonight if you want me to turn on the TV.”

“I’d like that thanks,” said Sarah. Donna flicked on the TV and changed the channel to NESN. The Bruins game was about halfway through the 2nd period. The Bruins were winning 2-0. Wishing she was at the game she said goodbye to Sarah and went to check up on her next patient.

Greg was sitting on the bench watching the game. His muscles were tense and he was ready to jump up at any second to change lines. The whistle blew and Greg got onto the ice. The Bruins won the puck at the face off and Greg skated down the ice. He was passed the puck and as he was passing it to one of his teammates a Canadian player checked him into the boards. He usually stayed on his feet but he felt his leg bend forward in the wrong direction as another player slammed him from behind. He yelled and fell onto the ice, feeling pain shot up his leg. He was able to get back onto his feet and slowly skate to the bench.

“What’s wrong?” asked Claude, as he sat down.

“My leg,” said Greg. Claude sent him down to the locker room where the team’s doctor was waiting for him. When Greg got his gear off his kneecap was horribly bruised and swelled up.

“Looks like a bad muscle sprain,” said the doctor. “I’m gonna send you to the hospital to get it checked out further.”

Donna was coming out of her first twenty minute break when she was told that she had to go see a new patient who had been in the ER. When she walked in the room and saw Greg sitting on the examination table.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.