Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty

February 29th, 2012
Wednesday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
4:00 P.M.

Donna’s week went by slowly. Greg left on Monday and Felicia started her new job. Both the girls worked different hours and were in and out of the house all day from work. When Wednesday came Donna felt like she hadn’t talked to anyone in weeks.

“Double date tonight!” Felicia said excitedly. Donna was in her closest picking out an outfit. Felicia sat on her bed behind her.

“Ya,” said Donna much less excited. “You really like Jordan.”

“He’s so sweet,” said Felicia. Greg would be home soon. The team’s flight was supposed to have landed five minutes ago.

Greg walked through the door and called out

“I’m home!” Felicia came out of the bedroom.

“Where are we going to?!”

“It’s a surprise,” he said. She pouted at him and Greg said “Don’t worry you’ll like it.” They were meeting Jordan at a small restaurant in the Back Bay. Needing time to go get ready they left an hour later. When they got there they up with Jordan out front.

“Hey Jordan!” said Felicia excitedly.

“You look great,” said Jordan beaming at Felicia.

“You do too,” It was like watching two teenagers on their first date. They went inside and were seated right away because of Jordan’s reservation.

“So what do you do for work?” asked Jordan.

“I’m a doctor,” said Felicia “That’s why I came here, I got a new job.”

“You like it here?” asked Jordan.

“It’s nice,” said Felicia. “I grew up here so I knew what to expect.”

“We lived in Charlestown,” said Donna.

“A few f the guys live there, it’s a nice town,” said Jordan.

“Not where I lived.” said Felicia. She went off to Jordan talking about their childhood. Donna and Greg let them have their own conversation.

“So how was the road trip?” asked Donna.

“Boring,” said Greg, “I feel so useless not being able to skate.”

“It’ll be over soon,” said Donna.

“Or painfully slow,” said Greg. There was an awkward silence between the two. Greg had never felt that way with her before. They had run out of things to talk about. It made him realize how much they had drifted apart with the small amount of time they had been spending together over the past few weeks. They stared awkwardly at each other until Felicia interrupted and said

“What are you guys gonna order?”

For the rest of the night Jordan and Felicia had their own side conversations. Greg and Donna sat awkwardly listening to the two talk not knowing what to say to each other. At the end of the dinner they got up to leave but Felicia and Jordan stayed.

“You guys coming?” asked Greg.

“We’re gonna get some drinks at the bar,” said Felicia. “I’ll be home later.” Greg smiled and said

“Alright have fun,” This was perfect. Now he and Donna could go home and have some much needed time alone together. The feeling of drifting apart had been present all through dinner. They needed to have some time together. He heard her phone ring and she picked it up.

“Hello,” she said. Greg listened to what she saying. “Ya I’ll be there as soon as I can,” said Donna. She hung up and Greg said

“Who was that?”

“My boss,” said Donna. “They need me to go into work.” Greg was crestfallen.

“You have to?” he asked.

“Ya a lot of the others couldn’t come in today so I have too.”

“Are you sure?” asked Greg sadly.

“I can’t say no,” said Donna. Greg felt frustrated, they were never going to find time for each other if things kept going the way they did.

“Fine,” he said, “I’ll drop you off on the way home.”
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.