Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty-Two

March 1st, 2012
Thursday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
2:04 A.M.

Donna got home around 2 A.M. She didn’t expect anyone to be awake when she saw all the lights off. Her feet were killing her. She had been busy all night with emergencies and hadn’t gotten a chance to sit down. She found the TV on and a half empty box of beer on the couch. She knew it was Greg who had left it. She sighed and began picking things up. She was extremely sad. Sad for own exhaustion, sad for the way Greg was drowning in boredom and there was nothing she could do about it, and sad for their failing relationship.

She picked up the cans and shut off the TV. She went into her room to find Greg asleep. She threw off her shoes and pulled off her dirty clothes. She got into the shower and felt the warm water wash over her skin. It soothed her and relaxed her tight muscles. She thought of all the things that had happened at work. She’d been on her feet all night, taking care of every kind of problem from small injuries like stitches to serious situations like people coming from car accidents. She got out of the shower after washing off and got into bed. For the first time, instead of curling with Greg, she rolled onto her other side and faced away from him.

When Donna woke up the next morning she was alone in bed. She sat up and looked around the room. Suddenly Greg appeared in the doorway carrying a large tray of something over to her. He set it down on her lap and she saw that it was a big plate of pancakes. She looked at him confused.

“What’s all this?” she asked.

“Breakfast I made for you,” said Greg smiling. She was still confused.

“What?” she asked again.

“Last night I was thinking,” he said “About how much you do for not just me but yourself and I thought-”

“Are you saying that I’m selfish?” asked Donna.

“No,” said Greg quickly. “What I’m saying is that you do a lot for me, but you’re also self sufficient. You don’t depend on my money for everything like some of the other guys girlfriends do.” He pushed the tray forward and said “That’s why I thought I’d make you breakfast and show you how much I appreciate you before I went to practice.” She still felt perplexed, how did he go from his upset attitude last night to his new happy personality?

“What about last night? I thought you were angry when I went into work?”

“I don’t care,” said Greg. “You work hard everyday to make your own money and live self sufficiently. I will never question it again or get mad,” he said. He quickly moved forward and kissed her hard. She was in total shock. “I gotta go to practice but I’ll see you after. I love you.” He kissed her again one last time and left.

Greg left the house feeling good about talking to Donna. But he still felt the heavy guilt about kissing Felicia weigh on his mind. Felicia had gone to work that morning before he had woken up. He was happy to have avoided an awkward situation with her but he knew eventually he’d have to face her again. He felt the intense guilt affect him not just mentally but physically. He was breathing heavily, he gripped tightly onto the steering wheel, and he was in a cold sweat.

When he pulled into the rink’s parking lot he was a wreck. He got out and went inside. The cold air made him feel worse and he went down into the locker room. His nervous demeanor was immediately visible to Milan. He got up and came over to him.

“What’s wrong?” he asked Greg. Greg looked at him with a blank stare. He managed to crack a smile on his face before saying with a broken voice

“Nothing, nothing’s wrong,” He walked away leaving Milan looking after him still worried. He couldn’t stay in the locker room; he’d just get concerned looks and asked questions from his teammates. He went up into the observation room and sat at one of the tables. He pulled the hood of his sweater down over his face and laid his head on the table. He just wanted to be left alone.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.