Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty-Three

March 1st, 2012
Thursday
Ristuccia Arena, Stoneham, MA
10:45 A.M.

Greg watched his teammates do drills down on the ice. He and a few of the managers were up in the observation room. He sat by himself alone at the far end of the table. What would he do when he got home and both Felicia and Donna were there? His phone rang and he saw his dad was calling him. Just what he needed.

“Hello,” he said.

“Greg,” said his dad. “How’s your knee?”

“It’s healing,” said Greg. “But I’m out for six weeks.”

“Are you still going to all the games and practices?”

“Ya,” said Greg. “I’m at practice right now.”

“I just wanted to call and ask if it’s ok if your mom and I come down a few days this week.” Greg sat up shock, the last thing he needed was his father coming and fueling the fire to his already difficult situation.

“Donna’s sister Felicia is staying here.” said Greg. Maybe his dad wouldn’t want to come if he knew Felicia was there. “She’s staying at our place until she can find her own in Boston.”

“That’s ok,” said his dad. “We’ll be there on Friday.” Greg tried to intervene.

“Wait dad-”

“I gotta go into a meeting, I’ll talk to you later,” said his dad, not letting Greg talk.

“But dad-” Before he could finish his dad had already hung up. He put his head back down on the table. Things were going downhill by the day and he had no idea how to stop it.

When Greg got home he sat out in the car for a minute, thinking of how he was going to approach both girls when he walked into the house. He had to tell Donna his parents were coming. He got out and slowly made his way up the stairs, dragging his feet the whole way. He walked in and saw Donna in the kitchen making lunch. She smiled at him and said

“You hungry?”

“Ya,” said Greg. Honestly he had lost all of his appetite but he sat down anyway and took a bite of the sandwich she made him. “I have to tell you something you might be upset about,” he said. Felicia walked in at that moment from the hallway. She saw him and their eyes connected. She had a small smile on her face and Greg wondered what she was thinking. He nervously fumbled with his words. “Parents-my-My parents want to come visit this Friday.”

“Ya they can,” said Donna “I can take your dad.”

“Why what’s wrong with your parents?” asked Felicia. Her voice was like nails on a chalkboard to him. He didn’t look at her as Donna answered him.

“His dad doesn’t like me because of where I come from,” said Donna laughing.

“Well then he won’t like me either,” said Felicia thoughtfully.

“Probably not,” said Donna. Greg listened to the girls laughing and joking around. Behind Felicia’s laugh and cheerful voice Greg could hear a hint of conceited victory. He knew that her smirk had been on her face all morning. He knew she found satisfaction in knowing that they were sharing a dirty secret that Donna had no idea about. Donna got along with her sister completely unaware of everything that had gone on.
________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.