Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty-Nine

March 9th, 2012
Friday
Greg and Donna’s House
2:55 P.M.

Greg sat on the couch watching Felicia carry the last of her luggage towards the door.

“Did you find a place?” he asked. In a cheerful voice she said

“A nice little condo in the back bay,” Greg narrowed his eyes at her.

“You could have gotten a place to live all this time, couldn’t you of?” She smiled at him bitterly and said

“Not at first, but for this past few weeks yes.”

“I hope you have a great life alone,” said Greg.

“You’ll wish that I could have stayed around by next week,” Said Felicia.

“Just leave,” said Greg, “Get out of my life.” She smiled at him one more time and then walked out the door. After she was gone he put his face into his hands feeling miserable. Donna should be home any minute from work. Felicia’s room was completely cleared and she was gone for good. He heard the door reopen and he saw Donna, looking just as miserable as him.

“Is she gone?” she asked.

“Yes, for good,” said Greg. Donna didn’t say anything else and threw her purse down onto the kitchen table and went into the bedroom, closing and locking the door after her. He needed to do something with himself. He got up and decided to cook dinner. It was only 3:00 and Greg assumed Donna would be confined in their bedroom all night like she was the day before so he decided to cook a huge meal complete with appetizers, the main course, and dessert. By the time he was done it was 6:00. He set up the table and lightly knocked on the bedroom door. He got no response. He knew Donna could hear him because the shower wasn’t running.

“Please come out and eat something,” he said. He still didn’t get any response. He tried to turn the doorknob to find that it was locked. He reached up and grabbed the key to the door from the top of the door frame. He quietly opened it and saw her with her back turned to him. She was stacking up framed pictures from the tops of her night stand and dresser. He noticed that she’d left the ones of the two of them together. He opened the door more and she jumped in surprise realizing he had been standing there.

“What do you want?” she said coldly.

“Please come eat dinner with me,” he begged. She gave him a look of disgust and then turned back to her pictures. “Fine don’t eat with me but please just come get something to eat. You’ve barely touched food in a day.” She turned back and looked at him with an emotionless face. She finally said

“Fine,” she put the pictures down and walked past him out into the kitchen. He could see the surprise in her eyes when she saw the extravagant dinner Greg had prepared.

“Did you do this?” she asked.

“I did,” he said smiling.

“Well I wouldn’t want it all to go to waste,” she said taking a seat at the table. Greg grinned and said

“So you’ll join me for dinner?”

“I guess,” said Donna. He happily sat down across from her and said

“So how was work?”

“Good,” she said.

“Anything interesting happen?”

“Nope,” she said.

“Meet any new people?”

“Nope,” she said.

The dinner was quiet. Every time Greg would try and talk to Donna she would only give him one worded emotionless answers. When she had finished with a piece of the cake Greg had baked she got up from the table and said

“Thanks for the dinner, it was really good.” She went back to the bedroom and shut the door again. He wasn’t sure whether or not he should consider the dinner having made progress with her.

He settled down in the guest room like the night before. She’d kicked him out of the room and only let him in to get clothes out of his closet. He had barely gotten any sleep last night and didn’t expect any different tonight.

He lay there in the dark and when he finally did fall asleep around two in the morning he was disturbed by nightmares. They went through his head like a blur and the majority of them he didn’t remember except for one.

Greg found himself standing on an unfamiliar road. It looked similar to the street he lived on now. It was in the city clearly, he wasn’t sure what city but the houses were different. It was dusk and he could see the sun setting. Lights were on in all of the houses. He looked inside a window and saw a happy family sitting down to eat dinner. He got closer and leaned up so he could get a better look inside. There was a father sitting at the table and three children, two boys and one girl. There was an empty seat at the table and Greg knew that there was someone else they were waiting on to eat. He saw a woman standing at the stove in the kitchen. She was bent over something that he couldn’t see; she had her black hair tied up in a neat bun. He leaned further into the window to see who it was. When she finally turned around holding a large platter of turkey he was shocked to see it was Donna. She was smiling and looked extremely happy as she set the turkey down onto the table. The three kids leaned forward and started taking a few pieces for themselves while Donna was saying something to the man. She leaned forward and kissed him and then sat down at the table herself. Greg understood what was happening. This was Donna’s family. Her husband and her kids. He was gone, completely out the picture. Angry and sad all at once he thought about pulling open the door and going inside. He wanted to run in and demand what the hell she was doing married to some stranger with three kids. Was this the future if he didn’t fix things with her? Where was he in all of this? A million thoughts ran through his head.

Greg shoot up out of bed wide awake. He had a blasting headache and he was sweating. His was gasping for air as he tried to catch his breath. He glanced at the clock and saw that only a half hour had gone by since he had fallen asleep. He got up out of bed and walked down the hallway. He found that Donna’s bedroom door was open. He looked inside to make sure she was still there. To his relief she was. Curled up under the covers, she was sleeping soundly. He went over to the bed and looked down at her. Was the dream a look into the future? He needed to make her his forever. He couldn’t let her slip away from him; he realized how miserable his life would be without her. The next morning he was going to look at engagement rings.