Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Thirty

March 10th, 2012
Saturday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
10:04 A.M.

Greg went out first thing in the morning. Donna had already gone to work. He found a few jewelry stores around Boston and mapped them out on his GPS. He went to two of the stores and didn’t find anything he liked. When he walked into the third store he looked into the glass display and a ring caught his eye. It was white gold with two white pearls surrounded by diamonds. It was different then all the common looking diamond rings around it. He knew Donna would like it. She didn’t want the usual big diamond ring that most women seemed to have. He asked the jeweler to take it out so he could get a better look. The ring looked better in his hand then it dad behind the glass. He looked up at the jeweler and said

“I’ll take it.”

Before going home Greg stopped to get a bouquet of roses. He thought Donna was at work and wouldn’t be home until 3:00 but when he walked into the house he saw her carrying a huge load of laundry into the bathroom where the washer and dryer was.

“I thought you have work today?” he asked surprised.

“No,” said Donna “I just got up early to go get some more boxes to move out.” Greg’s happy mood felt deflated.

“You’re not still seriously considering that are you?” he asked.

“Yes I am,” said Donna. “You cheated on me with my sister Greg, what else do you expect?”

“Please don’t leave,” said Greg. “I swear to you I did nothing more then kiss her once when I was intoxicated and one other time when she kissed me herself. I never wanted her Donna. It was her own delusional attitude that made it seem like something was going on. All I ever wanted to do was be kind and welcoming to her and she took it as something else.” For the first time in 48 hours Greg saw emotion on her face. She had started to cry.

“I can’t Greg; I can’t do that to myself. I’ve already been through a relationship where I was a complete doormat. I can’t let myself be weak and hang onto you like I did with Henry for so long.”

“But I’m not like Henry!” he said. “I want what’s the best for you I never want to hurt you. All of the incidents with Felicia were an accident.”

“If you want what’s best for me then you’ll leave me alone,” she said. He shook his head and said

“I can’t, I love you far too much. I never want to loose you.” He handed her the roses and then got onto his knee. He was totally unprepared for what he was doing. He pulled the box out of his pocket and opened it up for her to see. She was completely shocked by what he was doing. “I can’t live without you and this past week has showed me that more than anything. Please just say yes to me. I regret everything that happened with Felicia and I wish she’d never moved in. I just want it to be me and you forever.” She was standing there still shocked. He stayed on his knee waiting for her response.

“No,” she said, “I can’t.” And with that she went back into the bedroom, leaving Greg alone and devastated.

Donna went back into her room and broke out in tears. She could still see his face looking up at her expectantly and the beautiful ring in the box he had held out to her. She already felt the loneliness setting in. She couldn’t let herself fall to the weakness of her emotions. She wouldn’t stay with Greg because she still loved him; she’d leave him because it was the only logical things to do with a man who’d cheated on her with her sister. She needed to get away as soon as possible. It was bad for her to stay here. She got up and frantically started packing the rest of her things. She’d get a hotel room and leave by tonight.
__________________________________________________
Donna's engagement ring.