Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Four

February 7th, 2012
Tuesday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
11:00 P.M.

Donna and Greg sat in their bedroom that night, finally getting some peace and quiet, away from the tight tension.

“Did you see how my dad was looking at your dad?!” asked Donna. “They hated each other!”

“Ya I don’t think he liked me much either.” Donna smiled at him and sat on the bed, wrapping her arms around him.

“But I love you,” She kissed him on the cheek, “And that’s all that matters.” Their parents were staying in two separate guest rooms down the hall.

“Did you see the horrified look on your dad’s face when fighting came up?” said Greg.

“Stop worrying,” said Donna. “He’s just a little paranoid because of what happened with Henry.” She kissed his neck lightly, trying to get his attention. He sat still, staring off into space in a day dream. It wasn’t until she’d pulled him down onto the bed that he came out of his deep thoughts and looked up into Donna’s beautiful face.

When they woke up next morning Donna found Greg’s mother already in the kitchen cooking.

“Thanks for making breakfast,” His mother smiled and said

“Oh no problem honey,” She was cooking beacon.

The plan was that their parents were staying for three days. Today they were going to go out separately, Donna with her parents, and Greg with his. Then they would meet at the game against Sabres. Tomorrow they would all go out together, and they were flying home in the morning of the next day.

“Where are we going Greg?” asked his mom.

“To the aquarium,” Donna was taking her parents to the Museum of Science.

The breakfast was as awkward as the dinner had been. Afterward Donna got ready as quickly as possible so she and her parents could leave. They took the car. Donna didn’t have to point out Boston’s famous landmarks or memorials because they already knew what they were, having of lived there.

They didn’t talk about Greg once the whole day. The Museum was huge and it took them the whole day to go through it. When they finally got back into the car her mother said at random

“I like Greg, he’s a nice boy.”

“Thanks,” said Donna.

“He uses his fists to settle things,” said her father.

“Dad, he’s fine,” said Donna. “He’s nice to me, in hockey violence is required.”

“You need to stop dating hockey players,” he said. Donna’s mother snapped at him

“Leave her alone! Greg is a good guy, I want her to stay with him.” The conversation ended and the car silent as they headed towards the Garden. Donna felt nervous about being there, Greg would be skating and she’d be the only one to keep the peace between their parents.

They found Greg’s parents waiting out front. She and Greg’s moms were quick to start talking to each other but their dads remained silent, coldly standing next to each other in the crowd.

The game went well until the third period. The Bruins were winning 3-1, and Greg had scored one of the goals, getting on his dad’s good side. Greg checked one of the opposing players hard, sending the player down onto the ice. Two players from the other team attacked Greg. Greg singled out one of them and the fight began. Donna had been praying the referee would break them up and end it, but they let him go. Donna wanted to shut her eyes and fall through the as she listened to the roaring and cheering of the crowd. She looked up to see Greg had won the fight and was skating off to the penalty box as his defeated opponent picked himself up off the ice. She heard her father’s voice loud over the cheering.

“This is appalling,” Greg’s dad was sitting next to him. He laughed and said

“I’ve been teaching Greg to play like that since he was little.”

“You’re son better not ever put his hands on my daughter like that!” Donna stood up and got in between them before the argument escalated further.

“Dad stop!” she said. “Let it go!” Her father had a look of rage which softened when he saw his daughter’s upset expression. Greg’s mom stood next to Donna and restrained hr husband.

“Stop Colin,” she said. “Learn to get along.” Greg’s dad slowly sat back down. They shifted seats, the moms sat between their husbands and Donna sat on the far end next to her father. The rest of the game was spent in without any conversation. Despite all of the cheering and yelling going on around them the atmosphere remained tense. Nobody scored again in the game and the Bruins won 3-1.Greg’s parents went to wait for him while Donna and her parents has brought a separate car and had to drive home afterwards. It was a silent car ride. When they got home and sat in the living room Donna couldn’t stand it any longer.

“Can you please just try and get along.” It was directed at her father.

“I’m making sure this new boyfriend of yours isn’t abusive.”

“He’s not!” she said. “I wouldn’t go out with him if he was!”

“You went out with Henry for three years and never even told us he was abusive.” said her father.

“I was weaker back then. I am better now. I know not to stay with men like Henry.” The front door opened and Greg walked through with his parents. Donna and her father stopped fighting and it was clear to Greg that he had walked into an argument. Donna straightened up and put on a smile.

“Great game,” she said to him.

“It was tough,” said Greg. Donna saw her father watching him. “But we won.”

“You did a great job,” said his mom. Greg’s dad left the group and went into the room he was staying in. Without him there some of the tension went away. Donna relaxed and sat on the couch. She saw her dad still watching Greg with critical eyes.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I'm going to be making minor updates on my Nathan Horton story, Ghosts of Our Past, soon. I'll only be adding Nathan Horton's second son Zach (who is due in March) into the story to make the story more realistic. I'll be posting up which chapters are edited and there won't be much of a change at all since I decided to keep Zach a more minor character. I'll let you know probably through this story when I've posted everything :)