Status: Active

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Chapter Five

As I stared at the picture of the girl that I had recently learned to be Skye's sister Nikki I came to realize that she was everything that I wish I was. Not just because she was a much prettier version of myself but because she looked truly happy.

In a lot of pictures smiles tend to come off as forced. The people in the pictures have a fake smile on their face waiting for the person who is taking the picture to finish the job. People think that taking pictures helps keep the memories alive but in a way the pictures distort them. Things are never the way they seem unless you take a photo unnoticed which was exactly what this picture was.

The picture was obviously a candid. Nikki was leaning slightly forward with her eyes tightly shut. Her mouth was open in mid laugh and you could see the faint dimples on her cheeks. Her long brown hair reached her mid back just like mine but her's was practically airbrushed to perfection. It shined while mine hung there lifeless.

Even though we had the same features her's were always better. Nikki's hair was more of a chocolate brown shade while mine was mousy. Her skin showed no sign of acne while I stuggled to keep mine hidden behind by my hair. Her brown eyes were warm and full of energy while mine were dull.

The biggest difference between the two of us was how thin she was. Her pastel pink tank top was riding up just a bit and it didn't seem to bother her. If my stomach was showing I would hide and pray that no one saw anything. She was just so care free. Another thing I would never be.

I closed my eyes clutching the picture of Nikki in my hands. I could hear the door chime as it creaked open signaling that another customer had arrived. I opened my eyes and shoved the picture of Nikki underneath the counter.

My brother, Asher, came in with a warm smile when he saw me standing behind the counter. Unlike most brother and sister relationships we never really fought except for the occasional argument on who get's the remote. We were close to say the least.

"Looks like you've seen a ghost!"

I looked down at the glass counter and my reflection was staring back at me. Sure enough, Asher was right. I forced myself to look away from my reflection and turned my attention back at him as soon as I noticed Andy coming towards me.

"What could I get you Asher?"

"Nothing yet. I'm meeting someone." He observed the room checking to see if whoever he was meeting was there already. "When she's here I'll come back.

He began walking away but I stopped him, "She?" I asked.

"It's nothing big Cass." I flinched at the nickname.

What was this bring back the past day? Asher knew I hated it.

His face dropped as he realized what he had said, "Cassidy, I'm so sorry."

I shook my head, "It's okay. It's not the first time I've heard it today." The image of Michael's face came flooding back to me. I could feel my knees becoming weaker and weaker. "Just go wait for your date. I'm okay. You don't have to baby sit me."

"It's not a date." He shook his finger in the air and then found himself a seat close by the door so he could watch for the girl that he was waiting for.

A few minutes passed and I could tell Asher was starting to get a bit nervous. Every so often I could see him tapping his foot underneath the table and every time the door chimed he looked up waiting for his "date" to arrive.

He wasn't the only one waiting. I was too. I wanted to see the mystery girl that my brother was obviously fond of.

Fifteen minutes passed and the door chimed again. This time in walked a petite blond girl with curly hair. I looked over at Asher to see if she was the one and by the look on his face I could tell it was her. He leaped from his seat and joined the blond. They hugged for a moment and instantly I was envious.

Not because she was with my brother - that would be disgusting. I was jealous of how pretty and small she was. Here was another girl who was much prettier than I was. I reached for the photo of Nikki hidden underneath the counter and took another glance at it.

I don't get how girls like this even exist. They are perfect. They are happy. They are everything that I'm not.

I slid it back into place when Asher and the blond gave me their orders.

Asher quickly introduced me to the blond whose name was Angela. Which was quite fitting to say the least. She was angelic after all.

After they gave me their orders I went back to work and tried to get Nikki off of my mind but it wasn't very easy considering a very frantic looking Michael walked in the door.

He didn't even look at me when he walked in. He was too busy lifting up chairs and looking under tables to even acknowledge my existence. I guess our small encounter was just in my head.

Michael went up to Asher and Angela's table and asked them to look up their shoes. Asher shot me a weird look but I just shrugged acting like I had no idea who he was.

Asher shrugged it off and lifted his foot. Angela on the other hand was not quite as polite.

"Excuse me- just who do you think you are?"

Michael looked up from the ground and shot her the same smile he gave me not too long ago. "Michael Martinez, and who might you be baby girl?"

I bit my lip and tried to hide the disappointment that was on my face. So, he treated other girls this way too?

I shook my head and finished up the drinks. "Orders up!" I called making sure Michael heard me. Sure enough, he did.

He came strutting over to the counter at the same time Asher did.

"Hey baby girl." was all he said.

I tried to put a smile on my face which I'm sure came off as forced, "Dang, when you said you'd be back you weren't kidding."

He grinned showing off his dimples. Skye moved her way past Michael and set her elbows on top of the counter. To my right Asher was raising his eyebrows.

I tried my best to ignore Skye and handed Asher their drinks.

Asher leaned in and whispered to me, "Don't let that guy get to you Cassidy. I know guys like him." I nodded, showing him that I was indeed listening and turned back to Skye and Michael. I noticed Zach was only a few steps behind carrying the same annoyed expression on his face.

I saw Skye stare at my name tag before addressing me. I guess I was forgetful.

"Um Cassidy?" she asked, "I was wondering if you picked up anything. I kind of dropped something on my way out."

"Just give me a sec." I looked around the counter knowing perfectly well where I had stashed the picture of her sister Nikki until I reached into the right spot and pulled it out. I handed over the picture of the smiling girl. "I'm guessing this is Nikki?"

She nodded and smiled down at the picture. I watched Skye for a second and noticed her eyes starting to water but she quickly batted away the tears that were forming. She looked up at me and saw that I was watching her. She raised her eyebrows, obviously questioning my interest with her sister.

"She's really pretty."

"She looks a lot like you actually." said Skye. Her familiar cold tone had reappeared. I saw her glance at Michael and then back at me. "Well we better get going."

Zach and Skye turned to leave but Michael remained frozen.

"I'm not going to pick you up and drag you to my car Martinez. You better get your ass moving."

I flinched again at her word choice. I was not very fond of curse words.

"I'm coming." he said, "Wait for me out there will you?"

Skye waved the picture in response and began walking away with Zach trying to engage him in conversation but he was obviously not having it. Every time she opened her mouth his attention was else where. I could tell it was bothering her since she would push him whenever he did so.

I wonder who wears the pants in that relationship.

I bit my lip to keep from laughing and saw Michael watching me.

"There's just something about you baby girl."

"What's that?"

"I don't know. There's something more to you than meets the eye."

He didn't even know the half of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Er...hi guys.
So...it's been a while. A couple of weeks actually.
I don't know what's wrong with me :/ I guess I've been really lazy lately. Hopefully my laziness will go away and I'll be able to update this a little better.
I don't really have much to say.
Derp.
Well, I hope this was worth the wait and I'm sorry if it's not that great.
I hope you guys liked it though!
Please comment? :3