Until I Met You

I Blew It, Again

~aubree~
I took a deep breath as I stood outside the door to his dressing room. This time it would be different, I would be able to tell him how I felt and maybe he would listen, yes. He would listen, I was sure of it this time. I lifted my hand to the door and knocked. I bit my lip while I heard him moving inside. I brushed off the front of my shirt and smiled. I imagined him opening the door and taking me into his arms, smiling that beautiful smile. And I would tell him the truth; that I was crazy about him, and he would say that he was crazy about me too. That’s what would happen, I just knew it. I felt my heart jump as the door began to open. Then I was face to face with Matt, who you probably know as Zach Ryder, the United States Champion and Broski extraordinaire.
And I couldn’t speak.
He smiled as he leaned in the doorway. “Mouse! Hey, how’s my favorite techie?”
“Good.” I mumbled. No! Why could I not remember my own name when I was around him? He just kept smiling as I stood there, frozen in place.
“So what did you need?” He asked.
“Um, I j-just wanted to see if you w-were ready for hair and m-make up yet.” I stammered. God damn, why did he have to be so flawless? He grinned and stood back up.
“Well, I’m not in costume yet and the show doesn’t start until six, and it’s,” He pulled out his phone and looked at it. “Four thirty right now.”
“I’m sorry-” I started.
“No worries girl. What can I say; everyone wants excuses to talk to me.” He teased. I chuckled nervously. He slipped his phone back in his pocket. He reached out and gently took my arm. “I’m glad you always want to make me look my best. I appreciate it.” I felt my face turn bright red.
“R-really?”
“Um, duh. You the only make up person who doesn’t make me look like a chick.” He bit his lip. “Don’t tell Molly I said that.”
“My lips are sealed.” Matt pulled his hand back and sighed, scratching his head.
“Well, I would invite you in, but I need to change, that is, unless you want to see me naked.” I felt my heart pound painfully in my chest as he gave me a small smirk. He patted my arm and grinned. “I’ll see you around five thirty.”
“O-okay.”
“Bye Mouse.”
“Bye Matt.” I walked away as I heard the door shut.
I blew it, again.
I’m Aubree Roberts, better known around here as Mouse, the hair and make-up intern. I hate that nickname, one of the Bella Twins gave it to me when she asked me something and I muttered a response while I was doing her hair. She just said “speak up mouse” and the name sort of stuck. It probably has something to do with how I look too. Like my brown eyes that look huge behind my glasses, my pin straight brown hair that’s always tied back in a bun, and I’ve been told I scurry when I’m nervous and I squeak when I’m surprised. I’ve been interning here for almost a year now. I was promised that when Susan, our head hair and make-up person, retired next year, I would be hired as full time hair make-up crew. But for now I was just an intern techie and really had no street credit whatsoever.
So what would a guy like Matt ever want with a girl like me?
As I trudged back to the makeup room in defeat I wasn’t watching where I was going and crashed into someone. I fell to the floor and my glasses flew off in another direction. “Ow.”
“Are you alright?” I heard a voice ask. I looked up and all I saw was a blurry mess.
“Do you see my glasses?” I asked. “I’m sorry, they must have fallen off.” I felt like Velma in an old Scooby Doo cartoon as I walked on all fours trying to find my glasses.
“Here they are.” The voice said. I saw an arm extend to me and let whoever the person was help me up. They set my glasses in my hand and as I put them back on I saw who had helped me up. I squeaked as I saw Dolph Ziggler looming in front of me.
“I’m so sorry Mr. Ziggler; I should have been watching where I was going.” Please don’t tell Vicki. I thought. If Vicki said anything I could be fired in a second. But he just laughed and smacked me across the back, I’m sure he didn’t realize his own strength, but it almost sent me back to the floor.
“Please, don’t call me Dolph unless there’s a camera somewhere, my name is Nick.” He said smiling. “You’re one of the makeup people, um, Audrey, right?”
“Aubree, but you were closer than most people.” I admitted. Nick chuckled.
“So are you alright? I really should have been watching where I was going.”
“Oh, I’m fine.” I promised. He smiled.
“So why aren’t you doing my hair and makeup? I’ve got some old broad who’s half blind.”
“You mean my boss?” I said.
“Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to-”
“It’s fine. She’s used to it.” Nick smiled again.
“So, do you have time for someone else tonight?” He asked again, I felt my face get warm. I was leaning against the wall and he put one of his arms up, leaning it against the wall next to me.
“I-I probably do. I just do makeup for Zach Ryder, C. M. Punk, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, and Goldust when he’s on, and sometimes Brie Bella if Susan is swamped...”
“Well, when do you have any spare time?” I swallowed nervously. Nick was really close to me and I didn’t like it.
“Um, probably around four fifty.”
“Excellent.” He said. “I’ll see you then.”
“Bye.” I squeaked. Nick pushed himself off the wall and walked off, I assumed back to his dressing room. I let out a long sigh.
“Was that who I thought it was?” I turned to see Matt in his wrestling gear. I nodded.
“Yep.”
“I really don’t like that guy.” He muttered, watching him leave. He turned back to me. “What did he want?”
“Well, I bumped into him and I fell down, then he asked if I could start doing his makeup, he doesn’t like Susan doing it I guess.”
“Well, I can’t blame him for that one, she’s like, half blind.” We chuckled, but then Matt’s smile dropped and he looked at me. “Do you want me to tell him to leave you alone?” I shook my head.
“It’s fine. I’m used to it.”
“You don’t have to be Mouse. If he does something you don’t like you don’t have to just accept it because he’s famous and you’re-” Matt stopped, but I knew what he was going to say. I felt my heart drop.
“I’m not famous.” I finished sadly.
“Mouse, that’s not what I meant.” I wanted to yell at him, tell him to never call me Mouse again, but…
“I should go, Susan said she needed to talk to me." I started to walk away, but Matt grabbed my arm.
“Mouse-”
“I’ll see you later.” I said as I scurried off to the makeup room. I opened the door to see Susan sitting in the makeup chair. Her curly white hair was pulled back into a ponytail and her green eyes were set in with dark circles. Susan was like a mother to me, especially after I’d lost my actual mother. She was the one who’d seen my amateur work at stage theatres in New York and told Vince that she wanted me to intern and then get a permanent job when she retired next year. If it weren’t for her I’d still be doing makeup for community theatres. When she heard the door close she looked up.
“There you are.” She said, standing and coming over to me. “I need you to do something for me. There’s a new Diva coming tonight. Molly is swamped and so am I. Do you think you could do her hair and makeup?”
“Um, well, Nick- Dolph Ziggler just asked me to do his, so if you or Molly could take Matt off my hands I could.”
“Of all the people to give up, you give up Matt? I thought he was your friend?”
“We kind of got in a fight and I really just don’t want to talk to him.” Susan nodded slowly.
“Alright, I’ll do his hair and makeup.”
“Susan, what’s the new girl’s name, out of curiosity?”
“Raina McClane. Odd girl. Very independent.” I pressed my lips together, but Susan smiled. “Maybe she can teach you how to ask Matt out. It’s like watching a child seeing how you act around him. You’re a twenty-six year old woman, start acting like it.”
“Susan, I…” She waited for me to finish, but I just sighed. “You’re right.”
“No. I’m not right. You need to have some respect for yourself! You are a very talented young girl. I see it, I know everyone else sees it too. Why do you think Matt and Nick specifically asked you to do their makeup?” I bit my lip, thinking about the ‘half blind’ comment.
“Because, they don’t like Molly?”
“Because they know you’re good at what you do. Molly is the opposite of you, over confident and not talented in the slightest. She only works here because she’s Vince’s niece or something like that.” I giggled. I hated to say it, but Molly was terrible. Have you ever been watching Smack Down or Raw and a person’s face isn’t the same color as their body, or you can tell the Divas are just wearing waaaay too much makeup? Molly did that. And she’s a brat too. She’s convinced she got the job because she’s the best. She’s always making me go get her coffee, saying the professional needs to work.
I personally do not care for her.
And she’s obsessed with Phil, AKA C M Punk. She keeps hitting on him all the time, convinced that he’ll eventually stop rejecting her. But, thankfully, he dislikes her as much as I do, and actually stopped having her do his makeup and went to Susan. But Molly still persisted until finally he came to me because I’m in a completely different room and Molly couldn’t bug him.
I personally love my individual makeup room, but sometimes it’s like a prison being alone with the superstars. Like how it would be with Nick in just twenty minutes.
“So when is this Raina girl coming in?” I asked, desperate to change the subject. Susan looked at her watch.
“About ten minutes.”
“How will I know who she is?” I asked. She chuckled.
“Trust me, you’ll know.” I sighed as the door opened and Kelly Kelly walked in smiling at Susan and I. She walked over to Susan and gave her a huge hug.
“Susan! How are you?”
“Excellent.” She turned back to me.
“Aubree, will you please go get me my curling iron? I believe I left it in my car.” She tossed me the keys and I walked out. I let out another huge sigh. How could Matt ever notice a girl like me with bombshells like Eve and Kelly Kelly everywhere? I was just his nerdy little friend who made him look good for the cameras. I headed for Susan’s car, and with every beautiful Diva I saw I felt my heart sink a little more. I mean, I’m just a techie, and that’s all I’ll ever be. As I walked back, curling iron in hand to the makeup room, I thought about Matt, the look on his face when he’d tried to apologize to me earlier. It had broken my heart. I knew I’d fell too far for Matt, but what could I do?
I opened the door and handed Susan her curling iron I saw who I assumed must have been Raina. I stuck out my hand.
“Hi, I’m Aubree.”
♠ ♠ ♠
YES.
This took way longer than I anticipated, but C'est fini.
Anywho, next chapter will be by StraightEdgeGirl
And the description is under construction, so don't giggle.
please.
and comment
please
xoxo
TMG

Aubree's Outfit