The Death of Red Riding Hood

The Lamb

Athelstan --that was the wolf’s name-- led her back to the town with the instructions of figuring out every detail of Jessica’s schedule. It took a long time-at least 3 and a half days- but Cassandra finally memorized her schedule by heart. It was then that she realized that she didn’t know how to contact Athelstan. Returning to the forest didn’t seem wise to her because she might encounter an animal even more dangerous than a talking wolf, so she continued to go through her daily routine until…the day of sales.

The day of sales was when everyone sold their wares and live stock to other people in the town and travelers from another towns. Cassandra had attended every single one by her Grandmother’s side but now she was sitting behind the Percy Apple Orchard booth alone. The men in her family were busy transporting large quantities of apples to whoever had ordered them and the other women were buying materials for upcoming farming days.

“Good morning Cassandra,” a man’s voice said and she glanced up to see Jessica and her father, Lucas.

“Good morning, Mr. Daniels…Jessica.” She replied “Is there anything that you wanted to buy today? We have new products like apple scented bath oils—

“Actually,” Mr. Daniels interrupted “I came to pay my respects, I’m aware that I’m late, but it’s better than nothing right?”

Yes because everyone craves your reaction, Cassandra though bitterly, but outwardly she just smiled sadly and nodded.

“It really is a pity about your grandmother, I remember when I first---

“Excuse me.” A deep voice cut in.

Cassandra snapped her head up to see a young man with short black locks and extremely light brown eyes. They were so light that they looked…yellow. She stood up slowly, never taking her eyes off of him. “Welcome to Percy’s Apple Orchard booth, I’m assuming—

But before she could finish her sentence, Jessica slunk up next to the man and placed her hand on his arm. She cast a venomous look back at Cassandra before turning back to the man. “You must be a traveler! What town are you from?”

He smiled at her, “Actually I tend to wander, offering my services to anyone who needs them.”

“Oh? And what do you do?” Jessica cooed and ran her fingers up and down his thick muscled arm.

“I’m a woodcutter,” he said, motioning to the ax that he had leaned against the side of the booth.

Jessica and the woodcutter went off together, laughing and joking. Cassandra immediately returned to her work, although many people purchased apple products at the shop, she couldn’t bring herself to rejoice at the amount of coin the shop was receiving. She was too upset about what had happened.
Why is Jessica getting everything that she wants? What is Athelstan doing?

A blood curdling scream interrupted her thoughts and she turned to see a figure stumbling into the middle of the town square.

“What in the lord’s name--JESSICA!!” Mr. Daniels cried and raced towards the bleeding girl. Ugly gashes littered her face and her beautiful red dress and cape were torn in multiple places. Her hair was bloody and coming out in clumps as she sobbed in her father’s arms.

Bile rose in Cassandra’s throat as she stared in horror at Jessica’s torn up face. She backed away quickly and ran until she collided with something warm. She stared up at the woodcutter in fear.

“I helped you get revenge and that’s how you look at me?” he laughed and hauled her to her feet.
“Athelstan?” she whispered
“The one and only, now I do believe you owe me a…lamb.”
“I-I didn’t have time, I-I couldn’t buy—“ She spluttered, her eyes widening as the thoughts of how many ways the wolf man could kill her.
“My, what big eyes you have!” Athelstan exclaimed and stepped forward and grasped her chin in his hands.

“Just like a little lamb.”