The Keeper

Prologue

The sword hurled towards Sylin, seeming to slow down before it struck him. He had no time to move. It struck true, directly into his heart. Sylin gasped, pain clouding his vision. He fell to the ground, facing the dark night sky. It was a clear night. He could see each individual star shining down upon him from where he lay.

The pain was like nothing he had ever felt before. But it was not just physical pain from the fall and the sword, but mental pain. He had failed in his sacred duty. He was a failure.

Keeper Sylin, you have fought valiantly.

Tears stained his cheeks as he heard what the familiar whispering voice told him. Along with his breath, Sylin began to feel the power of the Keeper leaving him. “I’m sorry…” He gasped weakly, feeling his strength begin to fade.

Do not weep, Sylin, former Keeper of the peace, your duty is done.

“No…” Sylin whispered, “It isn’t. I failed,”

This is what the keepers are chosen for. To do your duty until you can no longer.

“I do not understand. Keepers are not chosen to fail!”

No, but Keepers are chosen to give. You have upheld that duty to your death. Nothing more is asked of you.

“I…will you look after my son?”

I can only help the Keepers, you know that. I cannot do what I have not been required to do.

Sylin blinked away more tears, “I'm…sorry,”

Do not be sorry. Now it is your duty to bless the next Keeper. You know the words.

Sylin nodded, gasping one of his final breaths. His voice shook, “I now, knowing that I am going to die, pass on the gift of the keeper to the true heir. Keeper, I bless you in the name of all good things in Irsia, land of the dreams. I wish you strength and hope in your fight for good, and I pledge my son and all of his heirs to your cause. Go.”