The Keeper

Settling Soul

Sira

I was running though the forest, hurrying to reach the girl before anything could happen to her. My mind felt strangely absent, as though part of it was missing. I knew it was because my soul - the object - had not settled yet. Soon, though, it would settle, and the power of the Keeper would be in the hands of the girl.

To any mortal, running in the forest would have given them many cuts and marks. I was different. To a Goddess such as myself, the forest cleared a way for me. It could sense that I was important.

I reached the small village and pulled a my hood over my head as to not draw attention to myself. This was my hometown - the town where people worshipped me, the Goddess of the Keeper. I was here on business, and I didn't want to be slowed down by tradition or customs. I went straight to the house where she stayed and knocked on the door.

I heard heavy footsteps and I assumed the person about to open the door was a man. My suspicious were proven correct when the father of the girl appeared, "Yes?"

I took my hood off, revealing who I was. He would know who I was - he'd seen me before. "You know why I'm here," I told him.

He nodded sadly as he stepped out of the doorway, "This way, my lady."

I gave him a small smile and went inside. As he closed the door, I asked him, "How is she?"

"She is well trained and ready for whatever needs to be done," He spoke with no expression though his eyes showed his grief.

I nodded, "good. I will take utmost care of her." My soul had begun to settle with her, I could feel it. "We need to hurry. She may already be in danger."

He led me to a room upstairs and knocked, "Lilivia? There's someone hear to see you." He bowed slightly to me before walking back downstairs. I opened the door and peeked inside. It was dark, and I couldn't see much.

"May I come in?" I asked.

I heard an angry voice from somewhere in the room, "Who are you?"

"I'm Sira," I replied quietly. In the circumstance of any other mortal there would have been a hint of pride in my voice, but I was here to take this girl's life. To force her into a life of danger. I would at least humble myself before her.

There was silence as the voice tried to think of something to say, "Sira? As in Goddess of the Keepers?"

"Yes," I said, "May I come in? It's kind of important." There it was - that moment of relief. My mind was itself again. My soul had settled within Lilivia.

"You may." I entered the room. A lantern was lit and light flooded into the small room. Standing in the middle of it was Lilivia. She had long dark hair which fell halfway down her back and crystal blue eyes. She appeared to be a young teenager. Too young.

I broke away from those thoughts and concentrated on my job. "Hello, young one."

"My lady," She curtseyed as she spoke and I was struck at how quickly this girl was able to turn from a suspicious girl to a respectful lady.

I smiled, but it was a grim smile. She's too young. "Do you know why I am here?"

She shook her head, "I've no idea."

"Have you heard of the legend of the Keepers?"

She nodded slowly, "Yes but what does it have to do..." Realisation dawned in her eyes, "that can't be true."

I took a step closer to her, "those legends are true, Lilivia. I am the Goddess of the Keeper, and I am here to ensure that the new Keeper is kept safe. Do you have any idea who she might be?"

I could see her fighting to remain poised. It was evident that her father's teachings weren't enough to keep her under control. "Me."

I nodded, "Yes," I said, "I must cleanse your soul before...before anything happens." Before you go mad.

Lilivia took a step back, "Cleanse my soul?"

"It won't hurt," I said, "It just takes away any of the madness which may have found roots inside of you."

"Do what you must."

I nodded, "It's better if we sit." I sat on the ground and beckoned for her to sit opposite me. Once we were both seated I held my hands out for her to take. "Don't let go until I say." I'd done this countless times, so I shouldn't be worried. But what if something went wrong? No, it wouldn't. Only once had something truly gone wrong, and it would not happen again. I would ensure it.

Lilivia breathed in deeply and placed her hands in my own before closing her eyes.

There was nothing left but to complete the settlement of my soul in her. I began to open up to her emotions. It was easier with a part of my soul already inside of her. I let the gift of the keeper, along with Sylin's blessing, flow from my hands to hers. The memories of the other keepers left me and flowed into her own memories. Though she would be unable to access them, the skill and knowledge hidden in the memories would guide her. Finally, I gave her the ability to talk to me without speaking. Once the transition was complete, I opened my eyes and withdrew my hands. "It is done," I told her.

She slowly opened her eyes, "What was that?"

"Everything," I replied, "Everything that the keeper is and ever was is now in your hands. You hold a part of my soul. Soon you must choose an object to contain it all inside."

She nodded slowly, "What sort of object?"

"Anything. A keeper chooses what they wish. I would suggest, however, something small, able to be hidden and light to carry."

Lilivia got up and began searching around her room for any objects that would make an appropriate Object of Power but she seemed to find nothing. She finally sat down on her bed and sighed with her chin on her hands. Her hand touched the charm on her necklace. That caught my attention. "Lilivia, what about the necklace around your neck?" I suggested.

She stared at her necklace. "It belonged to my mother... And I'll never take it off so... Yes it's perfect."

At that moment I felt the rush of the Keeper's power flow through me again. It was indeed the necklace which would be Lilivia's object of choice. "That's it," I agreed, "That's your object."

"What happens now?"

I rose quickly, "We must leave this place. People - dangerous people - are already out looking for you. They want to corrupt you. You must leave before they find you and attack you. I will train you so you are combat ready. Then, you will do what is a Keeper's duty. Protect Irsia from itself. Keep the peace."

She shook her head the whole while I was speaking, "I can't leave father!" She unclasped the necklace and reluctantly held it out, "I-I won't do this if I have to leave him!"

I tried to think rationally. It had to be done. "You must," I began, "It is-" a loud sound from downstairs interrupted me. The house shook. I looked at Lilivia quickly, "They are already here," I said, "We have to go!"

She glared at me, "You brought them here! You and your Keeper rubbish have brought this here! Get out of my house!"

"Lilivia," I said anxiously, "I did not. They would have found you either way, and without my help you will be dead in a few minutes. We have to leave."

She ran past me without a thought. I frowned - unsure what had just happened. Never before had a Keeper refused help. Another loud crash made my recollect my thoughts. I ran down the stairs after her, called her name. "Lilivia!" I cried, "Don't - you'll die!"

She seemed not to hear me as she glared at Alucar, the God of Death, "Who in hell are you?!"