The Keeper

Pigs Hands

Lilivia

I awoke around midday but all the other dancers were still sound asleep. As I tiptoed around them I tried to think of how I was going to get closer to the High Priest, he had to have a weakness after all. The mere thought of the man made me sick; the looks he'd given me during my Ickrider Dance had made me feel physically dirty as that dance was meant for my wedding, not for his pleasure. I'd not only shown sacred dances to an outsider but to the vilest man alive.
 
Just as I entered the hallway, I was stopped by the redhead who had mocked me last night. Ida folded her arms and glared at me. "What do you think you're doing?"
 
I tried to look as innocent as possible. "Can't I explore the castle?"
 
"What are you, twelve?" She rolled her eyes, innocence was going to get me nowhere with this girl. "Explore in your own time. Right now you're meant to be here, preparing for tonight. Besides, you'll get your chance to see the castle soon enough." She made a face. "Well, the bedrooms, at least." I tried not to shudder, there was no way I was seeing those.
 
"Then why are you out, ha?"
 
"I was working - something you're going to have to get used to very quickly considering the way some of those pigs were eyeing you last night."
 
"Surely not until midday?"
 
She sneered. "You obviously don't know how long some of these things take. I'll spare you the details, now get back inside and shut up!"
 
I stood my ground and looked down my nose at her. "Don't you dare speak to me like that. It's in your best interests to let me go so unless you want to stay a Ladybird for the rest of your youth," -I took a step closer to her- "you'll get out of my way."
 
She frowned. "Ladybird? What part of Irsia are you from?" Her eyes widened. "You're not a… a shapeshifter?" she hissed, her eyes narrowing.
 
Though I was unsure of why this was a bad thing it was obvious that I'd have to keep my wings a secret. "Definitely not. My slave driver often used the term and I've just gotten used to using it."
 
She narrowed her eyes. "What are you doing, sneaking out? I don't believe for one second that you just wanted to explore."
 
"I'm to see the High Priest so unless you want me to tell him you delayed me I'd get out of my way."
 
She laughed. "Well in that case," she said in a mocking voice, stepping aside, "be my guest. Just know that you're kidding yourself if you think you can find a way out of here."
 
"And you've already lost if that's what you believe." I pushed past her as I walked off and was out of hearing range before she could reply. How had she known my true intention? I pushed this thought aside and set my mind to more important things. I needed to find a way to get to the High Priest, preferably at a time when he was most vulnerable. Since I had never lived in a castle I could only assume that the best way to get information was the same as back home, gossip. And the best people, apart from the dancers, were guards.
 
As I walked through the corridors I tried to ignore the statues of Alucar that seemed to be everywhere as I could almost feel them watching me. I kept to the shadows and eventually found two guards standing around, perfect. "I heard that he didn't take enough one time, and Alucar could see his dreams! He approved of them, so he gave the High Priest more power!" The guard with the long blonde hair whispered excitedly to his shorter haired companion. Something that stopped Alucar from being in the High Priest's mind, interesting.
 
"If that's true Tommen then why does the High Priest, in all his wisdom, take the potion to begin with? Where'd you hear this rubbish anyway?"
 
He shrugged. "Everyone knows it."
 
"More likely you've been at the tavern again."
 
"Speaking of the tavern, did you see Aranna last night? I swear on Alucar's dead soul, I'm going to bed her tonight." What a repulsive man. Hopefully this Aranna had more sense than to take him.
 
"Yes I did and I can easily say that you don't have nearly enough money for a night with her."
 
He made a tsk tsk sound. "Kyglic, my friend, you are young and have much to learn. I shall take her after her performance at the tavern."
 
"I'd rather stay and watch the palace dancers, did you see the new one last night?"
 
"No, I was on duty elsewhere. I've heard about her at the tavern though. One of the priests was raving about how she would make a good bride for him. I'm sure she's nothing special. Any dog could turn him on."
 
"Make sure you come and see tonight, it was amazing to watch. Aranna can wait one more night for your useless prick."
 
"But alas, I cannot. Even when I got the redhead whore to entertain me this morning all I could think about was Aranna." I bit the inside of my cheek until it drew blood, so this was the pig who had forced himself on Ida. Though I didn’t like her it was hard not to feel pity.
 
"Then why make the whore endure your two minutes of torture. Look I'll make ya a bet. If you manage to bed Aranna then I've give you five silver pieces, but if you don't then you owe me the same and you come see the palace dancers."
 
He snorted. "Then hand me my silver pieces, fool, for I'll take Aranna without waiting for her to accept me. It's not as though I'm cheating anyone - she's less than I deserve." If my knife and staff weren't back with Sira I would have killed him right then and there.
 
"Bet only stands if you don't rape her, so you in?"
 
He folded his arms. "Fine. While I'm bedding the Tavern dog, you can have fun with the whore in the palace, and pay me my silver in the morning," he said confidently.
 
Kyglic rolled his eyes. "I've gotta get back to my post but I'll see ya later to collect my money." He walked off and I tossed up whether or not I should go talk to Tommen for he seemed the sort to say anything in exchange for a promise I had no intention of keeping.
 
With a deep breathe I walked out from my hiding place and past him knowing that he'd probably find some reason to stop me. “Woah there,” he said, blocking me from going any further. He eyed me up and down with a smirk. “Who are you?”

“From what you said to your friend, not someone you’re interested in seeing.
He raised his eyebrows. “Are you that sly in bed?”

“I guess you’ll never know seeing as you won’t watch me dance.”

“Ohh!” He grinned. “Your the dog that Kyglic’s on about.” He folded his arms. “Won’t you show me a dance, darling?” he taunted.
“I don’t do private shows, not unless it’s for the High Priest.”
“Not all dogs have to be loyal to their masters.” He laughed loudly at his crude joke. “What if I throw you a bone? Then will you dance for me?”
“Depends how big the bone,” I winked. “What can you tell me about the High Priest anyway? I haven’t been here long so I’d like to get an idea of this place.”
His expression darkened. “If you want to know how to get in his bed, then just ask Brietta, or Lucia or Gela. They’re all the High Priest’s personal whores. But honestly?” he stepped forward, grabbing my arm, “I’m much better company.”
I leaned in closer to him. “You didn’t see the way he looked at me. Help me with this and I’ll be even better company than Aranna.”
He lowered his face, until his lips were almost touching mine. His breath stank of eggs and bacon. “I’ll be the judge of that,” he whispered. “Dance for me, dog.”
“Well if you’re not going to help me then I guess I’ll just have to go speak to the High Priest’s personal whores.”
"Woah there, don't think you can get away from me so easily!" he grabbed my arm and pulled me back. Men like this were just too easy to bait. He hesitated, "Why are you so determined to know more about the High Priest?"

"Because I don't want," -I gulped for effect- "what's happened to others to happen to me."

He groaned. "Don't think you can get me to talk about that. Only a fool would tell a dog like you about the sacrifices." Surely the High Priest didn’t sacrifice his dancers?

"Then tell me anything and everything that I can do to protect myself." With my arms around his neck I brushed my lips against his and pressed my body against his. My mouth now tasted like breakfast and I fought the urge to wipe my it as I pulled away. "After all we can't do things like this if I'm gone."

"We?" he murmured. "You and I are not alike. You are a dog." Still, he kissed me back. His hands travelled down my spine and I bit back my repulsion. "It would be a shame to kill you, though. Hmmm..." He pulled away slightly. "If you come to my chambers tomorrow night after you dance, I'll tell you about the sacrifices."

"Only if you tell me more about this potion the High Priest takes, surely he doesn’t cut himself off from Alucar."

"Oh but he does!" Tommen said, seeming to forget about my whore status. "I've seen the High Priest drink it with my own eyes! No-one really knows for certain why he wants to be cut off from the Great Alucar, but there are rumours that the High Priest is slowly turning insane because of his close connection with the Great Alucar. He drinks the potion to keep the insanity at bay."

Like the soul connection between Sira and the Keepers. "How awful for him to have to ignore such a connection." This was probably all the information I'd be able to get out of him so with another kiss I pulled away. "I shall see you tomorrow tonight." He nodded and resumed his post so I walked away, no longer keeping to the shadows.

As I rounded the corner, a firm hand was placed on my mouth, and another on my arm, pulling me aside into the shadows. It was another guard. In the darkness, I couldn't see who it was so I aimed a punch at their stomach. There was a muffled "ouch!" and then, in whispers, "Lilivia! It's Senalyn! That hurt!"

"By the gods Senalyn, what are you doing here?"

He let go of me and replied, "That doesn't matter right now. What were you doing, just then?"

"Getting information the easiest way I can."

"… And you have to… be with that disgusting pig for your mission?" He sounded hurt but that was ridiculous as we'd only known each other a few days.

"I have no intention of doing anything with him." I shuddered at the very thought. "It'll take me weeks to get the feel and taste of his lips off me."

" 'Come to my chambers tomorrow night and I'll tell you everything' doesn't sound like doing nothing with him. Do you think he'll really tell you anything before you entertain him?"

"We'll just have to kill the High Priest before and it not, well let's just say that a lot of people value their life over anything else."

"I know you can handle yourself with men, I just… don't go any further than kissing with these men. Please."

"There's no need for you to coddle me Senalyn. I'm not going to let any of these pigs get their hands on me."

"That's not what I'm worried about. Anyway, what have you found out so far?"

"Apart from the fact that Liotin is filled with pigs the High Priest has a direct connection with Alucar that is sending him insane. However he takes a potion that severs the connection, so my plan is to kill him while he won't have Alucar's help. What have you found out?"

"I've been memorizing the activities of the guards, but other than that, not much."

"I'd like you to find out as much as you can about the sacrifices. It seems to be a pretty big thing."

"I'll try, but I think you'll have more luck with that pig than I will with any of the other guards."

"Well if worse comes to worse than we may have to resort to Tommen. Now I need you to remain near me at all times in case I need back up. So you'll need to attend the feast tonight."

He chuckled. "Always thinking one step ahead. I'll be there for you, I promise."

"With my virtue and the lives of others at stake I'm trying to stay as many steps ahead as I can. I need to get back to the dancers so we have to hurry and you'll need to stay hidden."

"I can stay hidden easily, you don't need to worry about me. Just know that you're not alone now, okay?"

As we walked I hid a smile. "Thank you."