Status: Read Authors Note, please and thank you!

Not All Treasure Is Silver and Gold

Chapter 6

Robin couldn’t have been more relieved that she was wearing her leather riding boots as they splashed their way under a bridge by the docks. Although, like most girls, knowing her favorite footwear was being ruined with each splash made her cringe when they came to a pause.

She glanced down at her feet and pouted, “All this water can’t be good for a person.”

Someone scoffed. It was their pirate companion. “I beg to differ.” The Captain remarked. Robin met his eyes for a split second before William turned around to scowl at her.

“Robin, you can’t come with me. Wait at the smithy, I’ll be back in no time.”

Robin cocked a brow, “Right, I’m supposed to just wait here while you go on some adventure.”

William frowned, “It’s not some adventure, Robin! I’m going to save Miss Swann from pirates. It’s dangerous.”

“And not for a little lass, like yourself.” Captain Jack Sparrow added with a wave of his hand. Robin let her annoyed eyes land on him as he continued, “Wouldn’t you rather go off with your wee friends and have tea or do something else just as wholesome and dreadfully boring?”

Robin crossed her arms, defiance and anger bubbled inside of her. She didn’t think she’d ever be snide with her favorite pirate, but he was asking for it. “Wouldn’t you rather have a noose around your neck?” Seemed like it was no longer difficult to talk to him after all.

The two men then shared the same wide eyed expression. Will blurted out, “Robin!”

Robin widened her eyes at them and shrugged her shoulders, “What? Was that a tad bit too hostile? Excuse me, but it comes out when I’m being treated like a child.” Will put his hands up, signalling her to lower her voice. Robin sighed. She let her nerves calm before she spoke again. She spoke softly to Will, “If you’re really my brother, and my only family, would you really leave me behind?” She paused, noticing his expression. It appeared as if William were having an internal battle in his head. Robin pushed a little more, being honest with not only him, but herself. “Because I wouldn’t do that to my siblings.” She frowned slightly, thinking of her two younger brothers back at home.

William sighed and shook his head. “Why do you do this to me?” His rhetorical question went unanswered as he pulled Robin in for a hug. Stunned with surprise, Robin barely hugged him back as he whispered, “I won’t ever leave you behind.”

A guilty feeling set over Robin. Did she deserve such love from someone who wasn’t really her brother? ‘But he thinks he is.’ Robin thought.

“How lovely.” The Captain commented, “You’re both seemingly willing to die for this Miss Swann.” Will’s expression looked strained. The pirate motioned towards the scene at hand, “Now, shall we?”

“We’re going to steal the ship.” Will said.

Robin pointed to the left. “That ship.” She said with a smug smile.

“Commandeer.” Captain Jack Sparrow went on, as scripted, “We’re going to commandeer that ship. Nautical term.” He craned his neck to face Will and Robin, “Follow me.”

The pirate meandered his way closer to the shore, Will and Robin were right on his heels. He lifted one of the face down boats with much difficulty, “Hurry, hurry!” He commanded. Bewildered, William tugged Robin underneath the boat to crouch down. Captain Jack Sparrow quickly followed them and they were instantly surrounded by darkness as the boat collapsed back down.

William hissed out, “What are we -?!”

The Captain quickly silenced him with an abrupt ‘SHH’. After a moment’s pause, he then said, “Follow my lead.”

Uncomfortable and slightly irritated, Robin retorted, “That’s easier said than done. We can’t see you, you know.” Yes, it was definitely easier to talk to the infamous pirate by now.

Callused hands then grasped Robin’s wrists and led them to wood above. Surprised, Robin gasped out as a drawling voice replied, “Now, do you understand?” Robin could smell the distinct scent of alcohol and salt water coming only inches away from her face. She felt her cheeks heat up. Though she couldn’t see him, Captain Jack Sparrow was definitely right in front of her face. She let out a breathy, “Yes” and then quickly shut her mouth, hoping the scent she gave off wasn’t worse than the rum smell the pirate probably always emits.

There was then the sound of shuffling before the pirate again spoke, “Lift.”

With all her strength, Robin pushed her arms up and nearly hit her head because the men in front and behind her made it so she didn’t need to use all her strength. She rolled her eyes.

“Are you alright?” William whispered to her from behind as they scuttled forward. Robin was able to give him a thumbs up because she was hardly contributing to the carrying of the boat.

“Ready to scuff your fancy boots, lass?” The pirate in front of her teased.

Robin smirked. ‘He noticed my ‘fancy’ boots.’ She thought, her inner fangirl bubbled with excitement. Her eyes glanced down, noticing the growing amount of water surrounding them. She frowned. “Oh right, more water.”

“Better get used to it.”

Soon, they were fully surrounded by water. Robin was using quite a bit of muscle to trudge through the ocean floor with only her head above water.

“This is either madness or brilliance.” Will spoke. Robin looked to Captain Jack Sparrow expectantly.

“It’s remarkable how often those two traits coincide.”

Robin grinned to herself. And then a thought struck her, “How it’s going back there, brother?”

William let out an irritated sigh, “My foot is stuck on something.”

Robin nodded, still smiling to herself. “I thought so.” She muttered.

After walking a while longer, Captain Jack Sparrow stopped in his tracks. Robin sighed and massaged at her neck with one arm.

“This should be far enough. We swim up.” He commanded. William grunted in discomfort, but they both followed the pirate as he snaked his way out from under the boat and swam upwards toward the sparkling sky.

Robin was able to enjoy this swim up to the surface. This time around she wasn’t so desperate for air and her head wasn’t spinning from nearly drowning. She let her arms spread out wide through the cool water and her legs pumped gingerly against the water. When Robin broke to the surface, she let her head tilt back and pulled out her ponytail holder to allow her hair to fall and float out behind her. She took a deep breath, the salty air leaving small tingles on her tongue.

“This way, Robin.” Will swam up behind her, leading her towards the pirate. The Captain was wading by the ship. He was staring up at the ship with a lot of concentration. Robin grinned and turned to Will.

“Do you still have your foot stuck?” Will squirmed around for a second and held up a broken wooden crate. Behind him, an empty barrel floated. “Looks like you were walking the barrel this whole time.”

William shook his head and pushed the crate away from him. Robin swam towards the crate and grabbed at it. “What are you doing? We could use this to climb up the ship.” Robin pulled the barrel towards her by the rope and shoved it in Captain Jack Sparrow’s direction. “Like Batman!”

“What man?” William asked. The pirate gave her a curious look as he grabbed at the barrel.

“Nevermind.” Robin told him. She gazed up at the ship, “Just toss the barrel over that,” She said pointing, “and tie the end on that,” she again pointed, “and then we climb!” Her smile faltered as she took in how much they needed to climb. “Or attempt to.”

“Well you’re just full of ideas, lass.” The Captain remarked as he did just as Robin said. Robin shrugged, though it looked awkward as she dog paddled in the water. Those were definitely not her own bright ideas, just her own bright memory.

William helped tie off the rope, and when that was said and done, he waved Robin over as Captain Jack Sparrow began to climb. “Let’s go Robin.”

Robin swam towards him. The ship seemed to grow taller. She let out a long sigh, “I can do this… maybe.”

Will was already out of the water and clinging to the rope, “Do you want me to carry you?” He asked, holding his arm out to Robin.

“What? No!” Robin waved his arm away. “I can… I can do this!”

Will’s facial expression showed he was not convinced, “Well, just follow my lead.” He climbed a little higher, leaving her room.

Robin grasped hold of the rope, “Yup. Follow, follow, I got it.” She pulled up and looped her legs around the rope. “Just like gym class. I can do this!” The easy part was the rope. Scaling the ship was proven more difficult.

“I can help you, Robin.” Will said once more.

“I’m fine.” Robin replied. Although her muscles quaked from exertion and the lingering fear of falling down. She took a deep breath and kept going.

As soon as she neared the top, Will tugged her aboard with a grunt and Robin landed ungracefully on the ship. “Oh thank God.” Robin muttered out.

“No time for a breather.” The Captain murmured as he pulled out his gun. Will followed his lead and pulled out his sword. Robin swore under her breath.

“Why didn’t I bring a weapon?”

Captain Jack Sparrow swaggered down the stairs, Will beside him and Robin close behind. “Everyone, stay calm! We are taking over the ship!” He shouted out to the men on deck.

“Aye! Avast!” William shouted for emphasis. The men laughed, and Robin felt a little embarrassed, even though she saw that coming. Captain Jack Sparrow gave William a beguiled look.

“This ship cannot be crewed by two men.” The man with the funny white curls remarked.

Robin scowled and waved toward him, “Hello, there’s a woman here too!” More laughs. Robin felt her cheeks heat up.

“As I was saying, you’ll never make it out of the bay.”

“Son.” The pirate put his musket to the man’s nose, “I’m Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?”

To get over her embarrassment, Robin strode beside the pirate and pulled out the man’s sword and pointed it towards his other men. They backed up, surprised. “Not laughing now, are you?” She smirked and waved the sword around a bit, “Now walk the plank!”

They gave each other dumb founded looks. Will walked to Robin’s side. “Robin.” He said in that authoritative tone. The pirate behind her gazed at her amused.

Robin rolled her eyes, but kept the sword steady pointing at them. “I suppose the little boats will suffice.”

“Aye.” Captain Jack Sparrow called out, motioning the man in front of him towards the side of the ship. The whole lot of them then climbed into the boat and William lowered them down.

Robin slid the sword through one of her belt loops and turned to the Captain expectantly.

“The sails!” He said with a wave of his hand and led the way.

“Walk the plank?” Will repeated to Robin.

Robin let out a small laugh, “I was joking!”

Sparrow handed William some ropes to pull at as Will continued to scold Robin, “Were you joking when you stole that man’s sword?”

Robin scoffed, “Were you joking when you agreed to steal a ship?” Will’s scolding ceased. Robin put her hands on her hips and grinned in triumph. The Captain walked to the other side of the ship as Will tied off the rope. Robin gazed out towards Port Royal. She saw many militia making their way aboard a ship. “They’re coming.”

William turned his gaze in the direction Robin was staring. He nodded and jogged towards Captain Jack Sparrow. Robin leaned against a beam and watched the two communicate from afar. Seeing things from this perspective was quite interesting to Robin. She smiled to herself.

Will and Sparrow ran back towards Robin’s direction. Once in arms length, Will grabbed her forearm and dragged her along to follow Captain Jack Sparrow. Robin furrowed her eyebrows, “Is no one going to vocalize what we’re doing?”

The Captain gave her an exasperated stare. “Is that really necessary?” Robin shrugged. “I’ve already told you. Follow my lead.”

Robin sighed and crossed her arms, “Right. Follow. Follow, follow, follow…” She mumbled.

A moment after they were settled in a little corner hidden and waiting, the Interceptor pulled up beside the Dauntless and countless of militia swung from that ship to the other. “That’s brilliant.” Captain Jack Sparrow remarked. He pulled at the ropes of the nearest beam, held one and handed the other to William. “Let’s go.” Without another word, he swung over and Robin watched him with wide eyes.

“Hold onto me.” Will commanded, his foot already set on the edge, ready to go. Robin hooked her arms around his torso.

“Please don’t let us fall to our watery death.” She teased. Although as her eyes set on the water, minor flashbacks of her own fall came to memory.

“That’s a really comforting request, Robin.” Will replied. Robin felt his muscles ripple as he gripped the rope and then pushed off from the ledge. A quick whirlwind went through Robin’s damp hair before they landed on the Interceptor.

Robin untangled her arms from William and looked at the ship behind her, “I didn’t even get a chance to enjoy that.” She remarked with a grin. Will pulled out his hatchet and headed forward. If Robin remembered correctly, he would cut the rope and Captain Jack Sparrow would be manning the steer. Seeing him do just that off in the distance, Robin jogged to his side just in time to see the Interceptor move away from the Dauntless. She searched the crowd of militia and saw the familiar frowning face of the commodore. “Hah! Norrington!”

Hearing Robin, the Captain turned over his shoulder and waved his hat to the Dauntless. “Thank you, Commodore, for getting us ready to make way! We’d have had a hard time of it by ourselves!”

Robin’s grin widened as she watched the Dauntless grow farther away. Her eyes caught hold of the Captain and his intense stare. Her grin faltered, but she nodded at him. “Nice going.”

He furrowed his eyebrows at her but without another gaze the pirate returned his eyes to the sea ahead. Robin frowned and turned on her heel to walk in the opposite direction of the Captain.

“Weird.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Wow, I really made you wait this time... sorry!! So in this chapter I'm trying to set the feel of how the relationship between Robin and the characters will be. Basically her being little miss modern teen trying to keep up with the brawny like men. Yeah, tell me what you think!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, more to come!! By the way, if you didn't know, POTC Black Pearl is on Netflix! ;D