The Kids Are Alright

London Calling

We got on The Who’s private plane in the afternoon, London and Roger retreated to a private area in the plane and I sat beside Pete. Everybody went into their own conversations except Pete and I, we sat in silence together.

Sometimes we would glance at each other and smile shyly at one another, when I was with Pete I felt fifteen again. I wondered if this is what it felt like to be in love with somebody without having sex. I had never experienced that before.

I wondered if I was in love with Pete. I mean we’d barely known each other for a week. I did not think it was, I did not know him well enough to be in love with him. It was a crush. That was all, nothing more and nothing less.

Suddenly I felt the smallest brush against my hand; I looked up at Pete who looked away. I stared down at his hand placed next to mine; I smiled sweetly to myself and curled my fingers between his. He looked down startled, I smiled up at him. A look of comfort came over his face and he settled into his seat.

Pete blushed slightly and smiled, “Can I ask you something, Ramona?”

I nodded, “Yeah, you can ask me anything.”

“I was wondering,” he paused, “if maybe when we get to England if you would like to go to dinner with me one night.”

I smiled, “That would be great! I would love to!”

“Great!” He kissed my temple and looked out the window.

I looked over at Helena and she smiled encouragingly at me, I laid my head on Pete’s shoulder and I fell asleep.

We landed in London at midnight, Pete ended up carrying me off the plane. Everyone stared but didn’t say anything. I opened my eyes long enough to look at them and then up at Pete before I buried my head in his chest and closed my eyes again.

After a few minutes I felt myself being set down, I leaned against someone but I didn’t know who, I figured it was probably London or Helena because they felt rather small. I wasn’t willing to open my eyes and look; I fell back to sleep quickly. I didn’t open my eyes until I woke up the next morning.