The Kids Are Alright

That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be.

I couldn't tell anybody how serious things had gotten between Pete and I, I knew that if I did Pete would get angry at me. He didn't want them to know, but he wouldn't tell me why. When he asked me to dinner I became really nervous. There was no telling what could happen with him at dinner, I knew he had something planned I just didn't know what it was.

Later that night, he took me to this small restaurant that was dimly lit with these little lamps that had scarves over them that shined on pale walls that had red paisley painted on them. We sat in a booth that was more like an itty-bitty room that had beads draped at the entrance. It was pretty cool, it kind of reminded me of the apartment I lived in when I first went to Los Angeles.

Pete didn't really say much to me for a long time, we just sat there awkwardly. I could tell by the look on his face that he had something heavy on his mind. I wished I knew. When something was on Pete's mind he always got this really pitiful, confused look in his eyes and it broke my heart.

"What's wrong Pete?"

His eyes snap up at me, he looks at me as if seeing me for the very first time, "Nothing, nothing is wrong at all."

"You're acting like something is wrong though."

"Nothing is wrong, I would tell you."

"No you wouldn't, you would write a song about it!"

"Same difference," Pete says and rolls his eyes.

"If it's the same then how are they different? Or if they're different how are they the same? How exactly can you have a same difference, hm?"

Pete raises an eyebrow,"If I write a song you will be the first person to hear the song, therefore I will be telling you. Just not directly like you would prefer."

I laugh, "Okay, you win this one."

He flashes me a small smile then returns to reading the menu. The waiter came and we ordered our food, as soon as the waiter left Pete got this really serious look on his face.

"Ramona, I have something I need to tell you," he says, making my heart pound. The last time somebody told me that my mom told me that she was marrying my probation officer.

"Okay, shoot."

"Ramona, I love you. I love you very much and I think that maybe we should get a place of our own."

My heart begins to pound against my chest like a big fist against a wall, I didn't know what terrified me more: having Pete tell me he loved me or having him tell me he wanted to get our own place.

"I love you too, Pete. But what's wrong with where we're at now?"

He looks down, "Nothing, I just figured that since Roger and London will be starting their life together soon maybe we should start too. I mean, I'm not talking marriage. All I want is to move in together."

I didn't know what to say, my mind went crazy. All I could think about was all the rapid change in my life, it was so crazy. I loved him so much, I really wanted this but I wasn't sure if I was ready for another new adjustment. It was all happening really, really fast.

Setting aside my fears I gave him the first answer that came to mind, "Okay."