The Kids Are Alright

Changes.

After apartment shopping one day, I really got to thinking about my relationship with Pete and all the other people in my life. I sat on the bed that I shared with Pete night after night, and I stared out the large window. His things were scattered about the room; notebooks, guitar picks, and pictures of all of us hanging out. Pete’s scent was in this room. As I sat there, I watched the cars roll down the street and people stroll past the building living their lives completely unaware that I was looking down at them contemplating mine.

I loved the idea of a new start that London had offered me, but an idea was all it really was. I didn’t go from being a rock musician obsessed groupie to being a housewife; I simply got promoted to being an actual girlfriend. I would still be living the same lifestyle once they started touring again. There was no way around it. However, that’s a problem I would have to deal with when the time came.

I had problems that needed fixing soon. Like the fear I had about my relationship with Pete. It was strange; we were moving very fast but also very slow. We hadn’t had sex yet, mostly due to the lack of privacy, but yet we were about to move in together. How was this going to work? We didn’t much act like a couple. I was terrified. Did I really love him? I thought I did, but I wasn’t sure. Did he really love me? There was a lot he didn’t know about me. He didn’t know that somewhere out there mine and Jimmy Page’s kid was running around. He didn’t know about Jimmy at all, and there was certainly a lot to tell. He knew nothing about my family, or Bryan, or any of it. The more serious we seemed to be getting the more guilt I felt about it.

“Ray,” I hear Helena’s voice say from the door, “Are you going to the studio with us, or are you staying with London?”

I look over my shoulder, and she’s standing there with Pete beside her looking at me with a look that I knew meant he was hoping I would come. I didn’t want to see him disappointed, but I just couldn’t make myself want to go.

“I’ll stay with London,” I say with a forced smile. Helena shrugs it off and walks away. Pete looked concerned. He sits beside me on the bed, and he wraps his long arms around me. I wrap my arms around his slender waist, and snuggle my face into his chest. I take in his lovely scent; cigarettes and aftershave.

“What’s wrong?” He whispers; his breathe goes down my neck.

“I’m just,” I sigh, “I’m just thinking.”

“About what?”

“Nothing and everything,” I answer softly.

From down the hall I hear Roger and Keith telling him to come on. The more the call after him, the closer he pulls me.

“Perhaps I should stay with you.”

I smile, “You’ve got to go to the studio.”

His fingers begin to twirl through a loose curl that managed to escape from my bun, and fall freely down my neck.

“Yes, I do; however, it seems that I’ve got a troubled lady here that needs comforting, and perhaps we could take advantage of the alone time.”

It was very hard for me to refuse that considering I hadn’t had sex in almost three months, but I knew that if he stayed there would be more talking than fucking. I had a lot to say to him, but I don’t think I would ever have enough time to say it.

“Pete, we’re about to come in there and get you!” Keith threatens.

“Sweetie, I’m afraid there’s not going to much alone time to take advantage of,” I say finally.

“I think you’re right,” he pulls away. “Besides, London will still be here.”

He kisses my forehead, and as he leaves I see that he looks both disappointed and a little angry- though he obviously wasn’t angry enough to pull the typical tantrum.

When everyone has gone, I go check up on London. She’s been depressed since Pepper died, but I was hoping she would be in a better mood because I needed to talk to her about everything.