Waiting to Exhale

The Sweetest Thing

Valerie’s POV

“Are you sure?” I asked anxiously, not wanting to believe this horrible truth.

“Yes Val, I’m sure. Me and Mikey both saw them,” Layla answered. I am trying desperately not to cry over the phone. If I did, Layla would never let me hang up.

“Were they…you know…?” I whispered. I hear her sigh over the phone.

“Val, are you okay?” I try to swallow the lump in my throat before talking again.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine…” Eventually. “I just need some rest…I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”
“All right Val. Goodnight and be tough, sweetie.”

“Good night Lay...” I hang up the phone and collapse onto my bed. Tearing sobs shudder through my body as I let the tears escape. How could he do this to me? After the two years? Did all of those times mean nothing at all to his black little heart? That time at the mall last Saturday…

Memory

“Jay! Stop please, STOP!” I giggle frantically and try to get him off of me.

“Not until you let me buy you something for your birthday!” he replies into my ear and unleashes another attack on my sides, giving me fits of laughter.

“OKAY, OKAY!” I scream, attracting the stares of other people in the food court. “I give! I’ll tell you what I want!” I say through the tears of laughter pouring from my eyes. He wipes them away with the back of his hand and looks at me with his gorgeous blue eyes.

“Well?” he questions.
“I want…YOU!” I say before planting a kiss on his plush lips. He kisses me gently back and we stay like that for a minute, interrupted only by an elderly woman who coughs loudly and looks at us with a venomous expression. We giggle uncontrollably and leave the food court.

End Memory

Where did those times go? Was it really last Saturday? I shake my head and my hair gets messed up by the pillow. I won’t think those thoughts now. I have school tomorrow and it’s already 1:30. I sigh as I heave myself out of bed and stumbled to my adjoining bathroom. I turn on the light and look in the mirror at the girl staring back.
She has raven black hair that, normally, is smooth and shining, combed to perfection. It is now frizzy and tangled, stuck to my face where the tears had run. My red rimmed eyes stare back at me, the same eyes that tomorrow will gaze upon Jay, my beloved boyfriend, my beloved ex. I quickly brush my teeth and pull my hair back, wanting to spend as little time as possible staring at the broken girl in the mirror. I hurry out of the bathroom and dive under the warm sheets of my bed. I snag my Ipod out of my bedside drawer and put in my ear phones. I was in major need of some music therapy tonight. I close my eyes and listen carefully to the song playing, focusing all of my attention on the lyrics and not on my broken heart.

“hold on to me love
you know i can't stay long
all i wanted to say was i love you and I'm not afraid
can you hear me?
can you feel me in your arms?

holding my last breath
safe inside myself
are all my thoughts of you
sweet raptured light it ends here tonight

I'll miss the winter
a world of fragile things
look for me in the white forest
hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
i know you hear me
i can taste it in your tears

holding my last breath
safe inside myself
are all my thoughts of you
sweet raptured light it ends here tonight

closing your eyes to disappear
you pray your dreams will leave you here
but still you wake and know the truth
no one's there

say goodnight
don't be afraid
calling me calling me as you fade to black…”


With the song echoing in my ears I fall into an exhausted sleep, hoping for no dreams of the sweetest thing to ever enter my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello my darlings!
this is my first story!!
**gasps** exciting isn't it?
comments are love. tell me if you love it, tell me if you hate or if it just plain sucks =) all are welcome though constructive criticism please and thank you!
oh and the song lyrics? it is My Last Breath by Evanescence
xoxo
lacy