Status: Active!

Stay Awake

Chapter Ten

So today’s Thanksgiving, and all of my new family were coming over to meet me. I really wasn’t looking forward to it, but I’m part of this family now, so I might as well get used to it.

I heard someone running around outside my bedroom, and suddenly my door burst open, revealing a very hyper Jack. He ran in, crawled onto my bed and then stood up, starting to jump.

“Come on! The Macy’s Day Parade is on! We gotta watch it!” Jack said excitedly. I sat up in my bed, rubbing my eyes.

“Alright, just five more minutes,” I yawned, snuggling deeper into my bed, bringing my covers over my face.

“No, come on! We’re missing it!” Jack said as he pried the covers from my face, ripping them off my bed.

“Okay, okay, okay, I’m up, good God.” I said as I glanced at the clock. 9:30am. I huffed and got out of my bed, letting Jack drag me downstairs. How could he be so hyper this early in the morning? No one else was up yet, and I sighed, sitting on the couch next to Jack, curling up in the blanket.

“I hope that my band gets to be on a float someday.” Jack said as he watched some band play along with a recording of their song.

“They’re not really playing, though,” I said, watching the TV. “But that would be pretty sweet.” I yawned, pulling the blanket up to my face.

“No, no, no falling asleep, missy!” Jack said, shaking me awake as I groaned.

“Come on, just five minutes! It’s not even 10 yet! I’m surprised you’re up this early, I thought you didn’t get out of bed until like, 1:00 or something.” I told him as I closed my eyes.

“That’s only if I’m hungover,” he chuckled. “But fine. Five minutes.” he huffed, slouching down in the couch and crossing his arms over his chest.

I smiled and rested my head on the couch as I closed my eyes, falling into a light slumber.

***

When I woke up, Jack was still sitting next to me watching the parade, and May and Joe were on the floor watching as well. So he let them sleep in, why not me? I thought. Joyce and Bassam were in the kitchen getting food ready for the guests that were coming over.

“Look, there’s Vicky and Gabe!” Jack said happily, pointing to the TV. I glanced at the TV and recognized the song.

“You know them?” I asked, looking over at Jack.

“Yeah, of course I do! I went on tour with them a few years ago." Jack explained.

I knew absolutely nothing about All Time Low, besides the fact that they write some amazing songs and put out some amazing records. I would always listen to them when I was feeling down in the dumps at the foster home. I just realized that I hadn't listened to them since I arrived here in Maryland, but that's probably because I'm now the lead guitarist's little sister.

"Alright kids, time to get dressed and ready, people are going to be here soon!" Bassam said in his thick accent, shutting off the TV.

"But dad!" The three siblings whined. I let out a giggle and got up from the couch and stole the bathroom before anyone else could take it.

I quickly showered and made sure that the coast was clear before making the cold journey into my bedroom to get dressed. I brushed out my long dark hair and blew it dry, then pulled it to one side and sloppily braided it. I put on some light makeup and slid my headband on my head and made my way downstairs. I heard loud chatter as I reached the bottom step, and shyly made my way into the kitchen, where I saw unfamiliar faces.

"Ah, Summer my dear! Come meet your aunt and uncle!" Joyce said, taking my hand and leading me over to them. I greeted them with a warm smile, and they told me how they've heard so much about me, and how happy they are for me to be part of this family.

More people arrived, and soon we all settled down around two tables -- adults at one table in the dining room, children (including Joe, May and Jack) at another in the kitchen -- and loaded our plates with food. I sat down between Jack and one of his little cousins, who chatted up a storm.

Once dinner was over, we all went into the living room and lounged around, watching TV.

"Let's go watch Pawn Stars," Joe said as he rolled his eyes at the kids show that was on. Jack, May and I escaped to my bedroom, and Joe opened his laptop, going on Hulu and looking up Pawn Stars episodes. We all curled up on the bed, watching a few episodes, before Joyce came in.

"Aw, look at you four, acting like real siblings! Let me take a picture!" she said, none of us paying one bit attention to her. She took May's phone that was sitting on the bed and snapped a quick picture. "It's time for dessert, guys. I made your favourite!" she smiled, leaving the room.

Hearing that she made out favourite dessert made us scramble to our feet and race each other downstairs and into the dicing room, where various pies and cookie tray were scattered on the table.

"Me first!" I said, pushing in front of Jack, who had the knife.

"I have the knife, ha ha!" he teased, and I stuck my tongue out at him as he smiled at me and cut up the pie.

"Jesus Jack, you completely butchered it!" May said, attempting to get a piece of pie out without it crumbling into pieces. Jack just shrugged and shoved his whole helping into his mouth. I shook my head at him and ate my pie and ice cream, wishing Jenny could be here with me right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not too sure about this one. And I feel like this is wicked long. But oh well! Who doesn't like long updates? Might update again later, I hope you all enjoy this one! It's not my favourite. Thanks for reading, though, you rule :)