Status: Active!

Stay Awake

Chapter Two

I woke up the next morning to Jenny poking me.

"Sissy, it's time to wake up!" she said, eventually shoving me to the other side of my bed.

I practically jumped, looking at the clock. It blinked 7:30 am. I sighed and rolled my eyes, throwing my covers back. I got up and threw my belongings into my bags, and headed to shower. I changed into a pair of jeans, a tank top and a cardigan, and headed downtairs, seeing Mrs. Lowe standing outside her office.

"Good morning, Summer!" she practically sang. "Ready?"

"I guess," I said and set my things down. "What time do I leave?"

"Your flight leaves at 9. It's now 8:00, you need to say your goodbyes." she said.

I sighed and looked down at Jenny, who had her arms around me.

"Jenny," I said, getting down on her level, holding her arms. "Be good, okay? We won't be separated forever, I promise." I said, pulling her in for a hug. She squeezed me back, tears rolling down her cheeks. I let tears fall as well, and quickly wiped them away. "I love you, and don't you ever forget that." I said and kissed the top of her head. Mrs. Lowe started tapping her foot, and I stood back up.

"Goodbye, Summer, you will be greatly missed." she said and pulled me in for a hug.

I hugged her back and grabbed my things, and headed outside in the mid-Fall weather. The taxi driver opened the trunk and I threw in my things, and climbed into the backseat. I looked out the window and waved a final goodbye, and wiped my tears away. I sighed and pulled out my iPod and put in my headphones, turning on some Paramore.

Once I arrived at the airport, I thanked the driver and headed inside, and clutched my bags, and my ticket in my other hand. I went through security and went to the gate I was supposed to be at, and practically screamed when the TV with flight details read NOW BOARDING. I handed my ticket to the person and practically ran to the plane. I found my seat, happy that I had a window seat, hoping that this would be the best for me.

***

I woke up a few hours later, seeing that we had landed in Baltimore. Once we were free to move about the cabin, I grabbed my things and got off the plane. I looked around the busy airport to search for my new family, but it hit me that I had no idea who they are or what they look like. As I came up the ramp, I saw an elder woman holding a piece of paper that read, "SUMMER CHAPMIN" in bed black, bold letters. I walked up to her and smiled.

"Hello, I'm Summer." I said, sticking out my hand.

"Summer! My new adopted daughter, how are you? It's so nice to meet you, dear," she gave a friendly smile and I noticed that she had an accent. "I'm Joyce, but you can call me mom, if you'd like."

"Thanks, it's nice to meet you too." I wasn't ready to call her mom. I didn't want to call her mom, she's not my mom.

I followed her to the baggage claim and gabbed my bag, and followed her out to her car. I threw my things in the trunk and climbed into the front seat. I looked out the window, peering out into this strange, new city.

"So is this your first time in Baltimore?" she asked, pulling onto the highway.

"Yeah, I've never really been outside of Illinois." I said.

"Oh, I think you'll love Baltimore. Not as big as Chicago, of course, but it's still the city." she chuckled. I faked a laugh and continued looking out the window.

I can't believe I was actually here, moving in with my new, strange family that I knew nothing about.

Soon we were off the highway, and she pulled into a driveway, parking the car.

"Welcome home!" she said, getting out of the car. I rolled my eyes and followed her, grabbing my things.

She led me into the house, showing me where everything was. It was an average sized house, nicely decorated, and taken care of.

"My kids are moved out and on their own, but their rooms are still here for them. There's a guestroom that you are welcome to make your own. I'll lead the way." she said, leading my upstairs.

There were pictures on the wall, two boys and one girl, all three had dark hair and big, dark brown eyes. I assumed they were senior pictures.

She opened the door to the guestroom, which was fairly sized, a bit smaller than my room back in Chicago. I set my things on the bed and looked around, ideas swarming around.

"Thank you," I said, smiling at her. "Would it be alright if I unpack later? I'm kind of hungry and tired."

"Of course, dear! What's ours is yours!" she smiled and left the room.

I went downstairs and opened the fridge, finding nothing to eat. I didn't fell right eating their leftovers, so I went in the pantry and settled for a bowl of cereal. I sat down at the kitchen table and I heard the door open.

"Mom? Is she here?" it was a man, and he walked in the kitchen. "Oh! Hello! You must be Summer!" a tall, lanky guy said, sitting down at the table with me.

"Hey," I said awkwardly. He's my new brother? Who knew that he would be so good looking? "What's up?" I asked.

"Not much, just back from hanging out with friends. When'd you get here?" he asked.

"About a half hour ago, maybe. I like your house. And what's your name?" I smiled.

"Thanks! But I don't live here that much anymore, I live in an apartment. My parents were tired of being empty nesters, so they decided to adopt. And my name's Jack." he smiled.

So that's why they adopted me? Didn't make sense, but okay. "That's cool." I nodded, finishing up my cereal.

"Yeah! So my friends want to meet you, maybe we can have a welcome party or something." he chuckled.

"I guess," I shrugged. Why would his friends want to meet me so bad? Jack's at least in his 20's, his friends have got to be around the same age. I'm only 16, not like I can do much of anything, anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much going here, but you guys are awesome! Here's another chapter for ya! Comments/subscribers are great! I think I'll post one chapter a day. Or if you're lucky, two chapters will be posted ;)