Status: Active!

Stay Awake

Chapter Nine

I laid on my bed, looking at a picture of me holding Jenny when she was just born. A bunch of things rushed into my mind, like where's Jenny now, if she's okay, is her new family treating her like she belongs. Then my parents came to mind. I thought about how happy we would be if they were still alive, and they'd share stories about their trip to Mexico. But none of that could happen now. They were gone for good, and it killed me to know that I would never see them again, only in my dreams.

It also pained me to know that my grandparents didn't want anything to do with us. Their own grand kids. How low and selfish of them, to ship us off to a foster home -- without goodbye hugs or kisses -- just so they could spend their time golfing and going out on their boat in Lake Michigan. That's probably what they're doing now. They probably took the boat out, in the freezing cold Chicago weather, spending Thanksgiving with their snobby rich friends who prefer their drinks shaken, not stirred, or red wine over white.

I heard a soft knock on my door and set the picture on my nightstand. "Yeah?" I called, looking at the door as it slowly opened, and my older brother peeked his head in.

"Hey, sis. I heard about you sister, I'm really sorry. I wish there was something I could do." Jack said as he made his way over to my bed, sitting down.

I sighed and rested my hands on my stomach. "It's okay, and there's nothing you really can do." I shrugged.

Jack just sighed and laid down next to me, and I closed my eyes and rolled over, my back to him. I felt his arms wrap around me and I froze. Is this how older brothers comforted their little sisters? It didn't seem right to me, but I could care less right now. I needed someone to hold me and tell me that everything was going to be okay.

I scooted back into him, and he tightened his grip around me, and I soon fell into a light slumber.

***

I woke up an hour later, and Jack wasn't there anymore. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, seeing that it was 6:00 and I smelled food coming from downstairs. My mouth started watering as I got up form my bed, not caring about how I looked, and went downstairs, the smell of food getting stronger.

"Good morning, starshine, the earth says hello!" Jack said, sitting at the table that was set up for dinner, with a beer bottle in front of him.

"Hey," I said plainly, going over to the fridge and pulling out a juice box. I wish I could have grabbed a beer myself, but I knew that Joyce and Bassam would flip a shit.

I took a seat next to Jack, jabbing the straw into the pouch.

"Mom, when's dinner? I'm hungry!" Jack said, holding up his knife and fork, banging them on the table.

"In a minute, will you stop? Go get your brother and sister." she demanded, pulling out chicken parm from the oven. My eyes glazed over as she pulled off the tinfoil, seeing all the melted cheese.

"Man, I'm in my 20's and I still get treated like a child," he shook his head. "MAY, JOE, IT'S TIME FOR DINNER!" he shouted from his seat, and I couldn't help but laugh. Joyce turned around and placed her hands on her hips.

"That's not what I meant by get your siblings, but thank you." she scolded, her accent getting thicker as she talked. She turned back around, finishing what she was doing.

Jack just shrugged and soon May and Joe joined us at the table.

"So mom, what are we doing for Thanksgiving?" May asked as she filled her plate with food.

"What we always do. Family comes over, we watch the game, and enjoy each other's company." Joyce answered as she placed her napkin in her lap.

"And then I go over to Alex's and eat the rest of his food!" Jack said, and Joyce looked up and glared at him.

"Do you need help with anything? For like, dinner, or dessert?" Joe asked.

"Joe, you'll burn the house own if you try to cook." Jack said.

"You're one to talk, you asshole!" Joe retorted.

"Boys, how old are you?" Bassam asked before taking a sip of his drink. The two boys looked at him and shrugged.

"No, dear, I think I'll be fine. Your aunts and uncles are bringing food, and it's kind of like a party for Summer," Joyce said, smiling over at me.

"Another party?" I asked.

"Yes, you've got to meet the rest of your new family! I've already told them about you, they can't wait to meet you, especially your new little cousins." she chuckled.

I just smiled and continued eating, becoming nervous about meeting the rest of my new family. Tomorrow's Thanksgiving, and it would be the first time I would be spending it without Jenny.
♠ ♠ ♠
I should be writing my four page participation in government paper, but I'm updating instead.
I wonder what will happen during Thanksgiving dinner! Surprises are coming, and I'm thinking about putting a little twist in there sometime soon. Maybe I've already foreshadowed something!

Who knows :) Tell me what you think, or give me predictions!
Thanks to all who are subscribing and commenting! :D