‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

t e n

NIKKI:

I mauled Beth with a hug the second she walked in the door.

"It's okay, Nikki." She chuckled, patting my hair. 

"It is now." I sighed into her chest. I knew I couldn't keep her home forever, but it was good enough for now. She was safe.

"I haven't been gone for three hours."

I nuzzled into her shoulder, but noticed someone else behind her. My eyes widened and I backed away.

"What's the matter, Nikki? Afraid to be home alone?" He smirked at me with a tease, but it sure as hell wasn't funny.

"Why is he here?" I asked Beth under my breath. 

"I asked him to come back with me." She replied simply. She took his hand and passed me by with Tyler in tow.

This totally backfired. No way is this safer for her, if anything it's much much worse. In the city, theres millions of people, where here, the only witness will be me.

"Beth." 

"Hmm?" She was already leaning into the open fridge, with Tyler poking his nose into her neck. She giggled.

I couldn't stomach his mouth being so close to her neck, knowing what he was. "Beth!"

She was pissed now, her nose scrunched up. "What?"

I hesitated in stepping forward, but once I took that first step it was easy. I stomped right up to Tyler and yanked him away from my sister.

"What are you doing?" Beth shoved my shoulder.

"Get out of here." I made the scariest face that I could. Tyler pretended to be concerned, but smartly did not argue with me.

"No, you don't have to go anywhere." Beth grabbed his wrist, shooting a dirty look in my direction. "I don't know what's wrong with her."

"You know, we can go out next weekend." Tyler shrugged innocently. "It sounds like that will be a better time, anyway."

Beth frowned, and I felt bad for putting it there. "Um, okay. Next weekend."

Tyler smiled, leaning to kiss Beth's cheek. I glared at him until he was out the door. 

I avoided eye contact with Beth, but that didn't stop her.

"What the hell is your problem?"

My head hung low. I didn't answer her.

"Answer me!" She shouted.

"I'm sorry." I didn't know what else to say.

"You're sorry? That's all you have to say? You ruined my night for no reason at all?"

I tried to keep my voice as soothing as possible. "It isn't something that I can tell you right now."

She plopped herself in a kitchen chair, digging her fingers in her hair. "You always tell me everything."

I chewed on my lip, unsure of how to defend myself.

Beth sighed heavily. "You know, he's the first guy that I've ever cared so much about, and I had to change all my plans for you because you'll always come first, but now you can't tell me why?"

I didn't want to use it on her, but I had to. "I saw him with someone else."

She dropped her hands in her lap and looked up at me. "You what?"

I didn't breathe. "I was running the other day, and I saw him drive by with a girl in the passenger seat." It was all a lie, but it sounded real. That's all that mattered.

"It could have been anyone." She told herself. "It doesn't mean anything."

"I don't think so, Beth." I whispered, watching her eyes blur a little with tears. "You were right before, when you said there was something about him that made you feel uneasy. I guess you should have listened to your gut."

I hated doing this to her. She's extremely sensitive, and when you hit her with something like that she expects the worst. But I had to do it.

"I'm sorry." I repeated.

She tucked her hair away from her face. "Just go upstairs."

"Beth,"

"Go upstairs, please."

I turned slowly and aimed for the stairs. My conscience overwhelmed me, causing my stomach to bubble. I spun on my heels. "I'm lying."

Beth wouldn't look at me. "Nikki, it's fine, just -"

"No, I'm seriously lying." I hurried back to sit next to her at the table. "I made it up, he wasn't with another girl. I just miss having you around, so I made it up to get you to spend more time with me."

Beth rested her head on one of her hands, using the other to brush her thumb over my cheek. I couldn't read her face, she just stared at me and I stared back.

"I'm sorry." I said. Again.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

I shrugged, because this was a lie ontop of a lie. I didn't even remember the truth. 

Her fingers transferred to a piece of my hair. "I talked to Mom this afternoon."

I actually smiled. "Is she coming home?"

"Soon. She said it's sooner than she thought." Beth smiled, too.

I reached my arms around her neck and squeezed her tight. I couldn't bear to see her hurt, but I probably just guaranteed her pain by backing out of my lie.

All because of the weird ass neighbors.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's been a loooooong time... and this is kinda short :P i'm drowning in school work. and i'm getting my license soon - hopefully i pass! comment and subscribe!