‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

e l e v e n

NIKKI:

What's my excuse? I got her to ditch him, but then I said ha-ha just kidding?

They'll kill me.

I expected more time to figure out yet another lie. But Valerie beat me to it.

I didn't even brush my teeth yet. She floated from her house to mine with a cheeky smile on her face and her skin flushed a soft pink color. 

I rubbed my eyes. "Good morning."

"Good morning!" Her sickeningly happy tone was overkill.

She wasn't even dressed, wearing a big t-shirt and a pair of pajama shorts. She wasn't wearing makeup either, but she had this natural glow that matched her personality this morning.

"Um, listen..." I started an excuse and hoped it would just come to me.

"Wait, before you continue, I want you to come to my house for breakfast!"

I snorted. "You're making breakfast?"

"Yup. Just for you." She sounded like she should be wearing pigtails and be holding an oversized lollipop in her hands.

"Why don't you slave over the stove for someone you care about? Like Seth." 

The mentioning of his name brightened her red cheeks, and even put a sparkle in her eyes. It was gross. "He's busy this morning."

I realized it was still raining, not much of a surprise. But it was strange, watching her shining so bright that it blinded me. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm great! So will you come?" 

It was only almost nine. Beth won't be up for a while. "Sure, why not."

Her grin grew in size, if it was even possible. She lunged for my arm and yanked me out of my house.

I watched her flip pancakes and cut fruit, wondering whether I should ask to help. But she was humming a happy tune and practically dancing around the kitchen.

"So spill the beans." I said.

She half glanced over her shoulder. "Huh?"

I rested my head on my arms. "Nobody wakes up that happy in the morning for no reason."

She turned her back to me to hide her face.

"Spill 'em." I teased.

"Um," She pretended to search for something in the cabinets. "I don't know, I just had a nice night, I guess."

I smirked. "A nice night, huh? Does this nice night have a rating that is innapropriate for children?"

"No!" She shouted, her face the reddest I've ever seen it.

I nodded, still smirking.

She slowly resumed making breakfast. Then, in a very tiny voice, she said it. "Kind of..."

I squealed, and regretted it instantly. Squealing is for pigs. "Oh my god, you totally hooked up with Seth!"

"Stop it," She hushed me, but never proved me wrong.

"You did. No wonder you're glowing." I rested back in my chair, proud of figuring it out myself.

She allowed a softer smile to take her face. "I'm glowing?"

"Like a rainbow. Was that, like, your first time or something?"

She didn't really respond, just shoveling pancakes onto a plate.

"I'm sorry, I guess that's a personal question..." I scratched my head.

She set the plate on the table between us. Her eyes caught mine and she let out a lovey dovey sigh with a giggle on the end. "It was perfect."

I would make fun of her, but she's literally too cute it's ridiculous. "I'm sure it was."

"Just don't say anything to anybody." She reached across the table to touch my arm. "I'll never hear the end of it."

"My lips are sealed." I scooped a pancake onto my plate.

The red faded from her cheeks. "So how's Beth doing?"

Lying time. "She's alright. I'm sure in a few days she'll be fine."

"I'm really sorry you have to deal with all this."

I shrugged. "My life is boring. It's kind of nice to have a little excitement, you know?"

Valerie took a sip of orange juice. "The pack is trying to track Tyler down."

I almost choked on a slice of banana. "What?"

"It's really not an option to run into Seattle and sniff him out, so they need to lure him back here. I told them it's dangerous, but I guess that's all they can do."

I lost my appetite immediately.

"It'll be okay." She promised. "I've been through it before."

I eyed the scar on her lips. "Is that...?" I touched my own lips to show her.

She set down her fork. "Tyler's sister bit me." She blurted.

I blinked harshly. "Wow."

"With vampires, if they bite you, their venom gets into your system, and...that's kind of how you turn into one."

"You're not -"

"No, no. She sucked it back out before that could happen." She added a laugh, but I could tell it wasn't funny.

I gulped. "I can see why you'd want Tyler dead."

"I'm just not very good at dealing with things like this. I might sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I really just..."

"It's okay." I started eating again for her sake. "I don't need to know
anything else."

We ate in silence, repeating our conversation in our heads.

When I finished, I broke the ice. "So was it good?"

Her tired eyes caught up with mine. "Was what good?"

I raised my eyebrows up and down a few times to give her the hint.

A smile slapped her face once she got it. "Yes."

"Does your dad -"

"No and don't you dare tell him!" She nearly lunged across the table at me.

"I won't!"

She sat back down in her seat. "Good."

I picked at my napkin. "I won't...if you do something for me."

"Anything!"

"I wouldn't mind getting to know your friend Paul a little better."

"Of course!" She said instantly. "I was gonna do that anyway."

"Good." I smiled at her.

She eyeballed me. "You have an act for scamming people."

I shrugged. "What can I say, it's a bad habit."

Little did she know, I scammed her in more ways than one.