‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

t h i r t e e n

VALERIE:

I was still exhausted, and not really prepared to discuss this, so I just let Seth do the talking.

We dropped Nikki home on the way, because she wanted to make sure Beth didn't run off with Tyler again. It was better that way - we didn't know how she'd react to the Cullens.

I planned on staying off to the side while Seth spoke with Carlisle and Edward. I figured Jacob would be there to keep me company, and I was right. Thank goodness.

"She's getting so big." I said, looping my fingers through Nessie's curls. "Last time I saw her she was just a baby."

"I'm pretty sure she learned to walk in a brisk 48 hours." Jake smiled. Nessie proved his point and skipped to Edward, pulling on his pant leg.

I checked Jake's reaction, which changed from proud to indifferent.

"You just wish she wouldn't do that?" I still smiled, because it was a joke-able topic now, since Jacob didn't love Bella the same way anymore.

Just her daughter.

"He's her dad, what am I supposed to say?" His grin returned. "Don't answer that."

I sighed, spinning the ring on my finger again. I watched Seth support his idea, while Carlisle and Edward both listened with straight faces. I could just barely make out the words.

"Can you hear what they're saying?" I whispered. 

He listened for a second. "No." I knew for a fact that he was lying to me, but he changed the subject before I could slap him. "Seth told me about you."

I felt my stomach tighten. "About what?"

"Well, both of you. Last night." He winked at me.

I huffed, probably turning beet red. We promised we wouldn't say anything until they figured it out! 

"Don't be mad." Jacob said with a chuckle. "It's not his fault."

I glared at the culprit from across the room.

Jacob laughed louder. I kicked his shin. 

Seth glanced briefly in our direction, but continued talking with them.

"Val-"

"Don't talk to me anymore." I angled myself away from him.

He didn't argue, seeing past the playful side of me and recognizing the serious side. He lied, and he knew it.

"They won't do it." He muttered. I turned just my head back to him. "They don't want to try, not after what happened before." He let me soak it in, and added his own opinion. "And neither do I."

I curled my arms into my stomach. "Do you really think I want them to help him?"

Jacob's eyes were focused somewhere behind me. I followed them to Seth.

He stood with his head slightly dropped towards the floor. "Come on." He offered his hand to me.

I gave it to him and he tugged on it like he was in a serious hurry. I barely got a wave in to Jake.

. . . . . . . . 

NIKKI:

The house was dark. That should have been my first clue that something wasn't right.

The next clue was that it was empty. As in no Beth. Which was really bad.

The third clue was the frozen, claw-like hand clasped tightly around my throat.

I choked on the lack of air, trying to determine what was happening.

"What did they tell you?" The gruffy voice spat in my face.

"W-hat..." I coughed, prying away the fingers that constricted my throat.

He dropped his hand and stuck his face even closer in mine. "How did you find out?"

I rubbed my neck. "I figured it out myself."

Tyler dropped away from me, but just a little. He slammed me against the wall at impossible speed, knocking the wind from my lungs. "Dammit, you're
going to be a problem, aren't you?"

I was sure this was exactly what Valerie and Seth were afraid of. "Problem for what?"

"Listen," He invaded my space again. "If you breathe a single word about this, I will snap your sister's neck. Understand?"

I almost threw up right on the spot. "What the hell did you do with Beth!" I shouted, shoving his body away.

"Don't worry about it." He used a soothing voice that made me sick. "She'll be fine if you keep your mouth shut."

"Where is she!" I demanded.

He trapped my yelling under his hand. "Shut the hell up before I snap yours too!"

I sighed, defeated and starting to panic.

"You know what?" His red eyes almost glowed in the darkness. "I think I could use you. Would you mind being my little helper?"

He was disgusting. I wanted to spit on him. 

"I'm sure they told you about my sister?" He clarified, stepping away from me again.

"Oh, the psychotic bitch that they ripped apart?" I braced myself for death.

But he laughed. "Yeah. So we're on the same page, which is a nice place to be."

"Just leave Beth alone, she didn't do anything!" I had to beg. I was scared, even though I would never admit it.

"I'm not after Beth. She's just an extra piece that keeps me busy." He grinned at himself.

"What do you want then?"

"Your neighbor, what's her name? Vikki?"

I swallowed hard. "Valerie." 

"Valerie, excuse me. I'm interested in giving her a go at my lifestyle, if you know what I mean."

I huffed, frustrated that he was beating around the bush. "What?"

"If I turn her into a vampire, life will be a little more difficult for her and her mutt, don't you think?" He approached me again. I wanted to sink into the wall.

"Good luck with that." I told him. "No way can you get past the whole pack. They'll all be protecting her."

His evil grin took a new direction, one that told me that my life was practically changed forever.

"That's the part where you come in."
♠ ♠ ♠
uh ohs...stuffs is gonna start happenin'. comment and subscribe!!