‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

f o u r t e e n

NIKKI:

I stared at him, struggling to breathe, let alone speak. "You can't ask me to do that."

"And why not?" He asked. "Because they're your friends?" He rolled his eyes at the word.

I didn't know why I hesitated. "Yes. They are."

"Good choice." He said sarcastically. "I'm not the bad guy here, I'd expect you to see that."

"Not the bad guy?" I asked. "You want to take Valerie's life away, when she's so happy right where she is in it? You don't think that's bad?"

"It's no worse than what she did to my baby sister." He said to his feet.

I wasn't falling for that crap. "Look, I don't know what exactly it is that went on with that, but they're my friends, and I won't help you hurt them." I was proud for sounding so confident.

"He broke Elena's heart! She held onto him the entire time, but he just forgot about her like she meant nothing to him. And then your lovely little neighbor came along-"

"That sucks, I get it." I said, trying hard not to roll my eyes. "What do you want me to do? I can't change the past."

"I can't, either. But you have something with them that I don't, and it's why I need you to help me."

I had trouble swallowing. "And what's that?"

His eyes were red. I knew they weren't brown, but now I was certain they were red. "They trust you. You know what that means?" He gave me a chance to respond. "It means you're the one who has to change things."

I started to feel dizzy. "I won't..."

"That's too bad." He said, snaking closer to me again. "I guess I'll just have to turn someone else..." He let me fill in the blank.

I didn't want to fill it in.

VALERIE:

I couldn't stop giggling. I had to brush his hands away from my sides. "Stop it," I lifted his fingers to my face instead.

"Why?" He dropped his hands again, poking between my ribs. He laughed with me this time.

"I can't breathe!" I gasped, but he continued to tickle me. "Seth, please!" My knees gave out and I tumbled to the floor.

He hovered over me, supporting himself with his arms. "Only because you said please."

I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes to get my air back. When I opened them again, Seth was smiling at me. 

"You okay?" He asked with a chuckle.

I smiled at him, reaching my hand to brush my thumb over his cheek. "I love you."

He answered with a deep kiss that would have destroyed my knees if we were standing. Unfortunately, it was cut short before it got good. We both groaned at my doorbell. 

I started to nudge his shoulders away, but he stayed put. "Come on,"

"Just don't answer it." He mumbled against my skin. It was his only day off in weeks, and we didn't want anything getting in the way.

"I have to." I didn't have the will to push him away. The bell rang again.

"No you don't. They'll go away."

I considered his logic, and almost gave in. "I'll be back in two seconds."

He sighed, collapsing on his back on the floor beside me. I poked his ribs, but he didn't even flinch.

It was Nikki at the door. "Hi."

Her cheeks were flushed, and her eyes were bouncing all over. "Um, Beth isn't home, and she isn't answering her phone. I'm worried."

"Oh." I turned over my shoulder to call Seth. "How long has she been gone?"

"Uh, I don't know, this morning?" Nikki kept checking over her shoulder. 

"What's wrong?" Seth leaned on the doorframe.

"I think Beth's with Tyler." She said. "I'm scared he'll hurt her."

Seth and I shared a glance. "You stay here." He said to Nikki. "I'll go find out where she is."

"Thank you." Nikki shuffled into the house.

Seth slipped past her and outside. I clamped my fingers onto his sleeve. "Be careful." I whispered.

He smiled his smile and pulled me by my arm into a hug. I got lost in his t-shirt, but he broke us apart. "I'll be back in two seconds." He mocked me.

"Yeah yeah, just go." I shoved his shoulder and waved before I closed the door.

Nikki was starting to concern me. "Beth's probably fine, just -"

"I can't do this," She muttered to herself, pacing the floor.

I just kind of stared, confused. "It's okay, Nikki."

She looked at me and had to fight tears. "I'm sorry."

I reached for her shoulder. "Don't be sorry, it's fine."

"No." She flinched away from me. 

My hand was draped over someone else's, and I didn't realize what was going on until he pressed his pale lips to my knuckles.

"Valerie, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." 

My eyes couldn't break his stare. I'd never seen the face before, but I knew instantly who it was holding tightly onto my fingers.

"I don't think we would have ever met properly if Nikki hadn't distracted your werewolf."

I managed to draw my eyes to Nikki, who didn't have the nerve to look back. "I didn't realize she was friendly with you." I said quietly, remembering to keep calm like Seth had taught me.

"We are friendly, aren't we?" He waited a long time for Nikki to answer.

"Just get on with it." She finally muttered.

"She's right," Tyler dropped my hand to flip my hair behind my back. "Why waste any time?"

I knew this would come at some point or another. I just didn't expect to be stabbed in the back, too. "Will you do it quickly?" I requested. "I won't fight you."

Tyler half shrugged, searching for that perfect spot on my neck. "Well, I don't know how to speed up the transition, but I'll try to make it as quick as possible."

That took me by surprise. "Transition?"

He smirked. "Yeah, you didn't think I would just kill you? Where's the fun in that?"

I looked back at Nikki. She took the same unlucky glance and got caught. "He has Beth, Valerie! I had to do it, I'm sorry!"

"Please tell me you aren't talking." Tyler said through his teeth.

My heart was beating unevenly. I didn't say a word to her. "Is there any way we can negotiate another time and place?" I was surprised at how unphased I was in the presence of a vampire.

"And why would I agree to that?"

I took a breath and let it out through my mouth, unintentionally blowing my scent in his face. "Today the pack is off duty. If you do it now, they don't have any distractions, and they won't waste time killing you."

"Valerie..." Nikki gasped, frozen with fear.

"And tomorrow's my birthday." I added. "It would be nice of you to let me celebrate my last real one as a human without any interruptions."

He touched my face to brush away my hair. It gave me goosebumps all over. "Fair enough." He said. "After tomorrow, you're all mine. Oh, and I'd prefer you not say anything to warn your wolves. We wouldn't want more blood than we need, right?"

I nodded in agreement.

"Good. I'll see you soon then." He kissed my hand once more. "Thanks again, sweetheart." He leaned to kiss Nikki's cheek, but she didn't move away from it.

He was gone, just like that. I started to feel my reaction starting to catch up with me.

Nikki snapped out of it. "Valerie, I -"

"I think you should go home." I said, keeping my eyes far away from her.

She didn't even try to argue with me.

When I was alone, I broke down and slipped to the floor, hugging my knees into my chest. I rocked slowly, back and forth, realizing what was coming for me.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I pressed the green button without registering who it was.

"Hey, Stranger." 

I gulped hard enough to hurt my throat. "Hi."

"No sign of what's-his-face, but your neighbor's sister is home now."

I wanted to stand up and check through the curtains myself, but I couldn't physically move. "Okay."

"You okay? You sound funny."

I nodded, forgetting Jake couldn't see it.

"Val?" 

"Yeah, I'm okay." I said.

He took a slight pause. He knew I was lying. "I'll see you later then? Bon fire on the cliffs tonight."

"Sure, sounds fun." 

I knew he would send Seth back to me right away, based on my funny voice. It was hard enough just to talk to Jacob on the phone, but to face Seth in person?

I really hoped I had the strength to do it.  
♠ ♠ ♠
oh no oh no oh no! i didn't even want that to happen but it just did! ahhhhh!

ooh i passed my driving test! being street legal is fun :)

comment and subscribe! tell me what you think!