‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

t w e n t y

VALERIE:

His car smelled like burnt rubber and mint. Something else was there too, but I couldn't decide what it was.

"Hey,"

I rolled my lips, facing sideways out the passenger window.

It didn't discourage him. What a surprise. "Don't you have any questions for me?"

I only turned my face so he could see my scowl. 

He raised his eyebrows. "Sorry for asking. I was just trying to make conversation."

"I don't feel like talking to you." I said.

"There has to be something you're dying to know." He bumped me with his sharp elbow. I flinched away from it. "It isn't fair for me to ask all the questions."

I huffed at his hypocrisy. He thinks he's being unfair because he asks too many questions. I wish that were the case.

"Well?"

I chewed on my lip, considering it. "Did she turn you?"

He nodded casually. "Right after she could get away long enough, she came and found me in Seattle."

My stomach rolled, even though there was no way of knowing if he was telling the truth. "And you let her do it?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

I shook my head at his lack of common sense. "Why did you turn Beth? I did what you asked."

"I know. You're a brave little bugger."

I bit my tongue, but released it when I realized it wasn't a good idea to start bleeding. "So why did you bite her?"

"I love her." He said confidently. It made me want to gag. "If I'm going to be stuck here forever, then I want Beth to be with me."

"You don't know what love is." I told him openly. "If you did, you wouldn't be doing any of this."

"I'm doing this because I love my sister, too. It isn't all about you, you know."

"Then why involve someone so innocent?" I raised my voice to match the rage inside of me. "Why ruin Beth's life because of me?"

"Who are you to say I ruined her life? Maybe she wants to be with me, too." Tyler turned onto the highway. I didn't have any idea where the hell we were.

"Well whatever! I don't even care anymore. Where the hell are we going?"

Tyler sighed heavily, drawing it out for emphasis. He pulled onto the side of the road and put the car in park. Then he sat back in his seat, and did nothing.

"You lost your memory for a while." He finally muttered, running his fingers over the steering wheel. "Didn't you?"

I crossed my arms tighter over my chest, the feelings of confusion flooding over me. "Yeah. I did."

"But you got it back." He pointed out.

I found my eyes connecting briefly with his.

"Do you remember when it happened? When it all came back to you?"

I hated him for this. "I saw Elena again. She showed up at the cliffs, when we all thought she was still missing."

"And that's what triggered it?"

I blinked slowly. "Yes."

He made a funny sound, kind of like a chuckle. "So why did you want to get rid of the person who helped you remember?"

He was trying to trick me. "Because she's the one who caused me to lose it in the first place!"

"Exactly."

I shook my head, ready to blow him off. He wasn't making any logical sense at all.

"Tell you what." He leaned back in his chair. "I won't turn you."

I couldn't help but look right at him again. "You won't?"

He half shrugged, pursing his lips. "I don't see why I should. I don't think I can do anything by turning you, especially since Elena couldn't get you two apart. He'll still love you."

I wanted to pinch myself to see if this was real. "You're being serious?"

"Yeah. I'm not turning you."

It felt like a giant ape was lifted off of my shoulders. "Then can I go -"

"Wait," He held up a finger.

I nearly choked on the word 'home'.

His eyes were intense, and mysterious. "I'll take you home, as long as Beth gets to come back with me." 

I didn't breathe, but then let out an enormus sigh that was broken in strange places. "I knew it wouldn't be that easy."

He turned awkwardly in his chair to face me. "Would you just look at it from an unbiased point of view?"

I wanted to say no. "Unbiased?"

"Pretend you don't hate me."

It was a challenged, but I managed. "Fine."

"Now listen." He made sure to keep my eyes, and by doing so he somehow convinced me to see him as human. "It might be different from what you have with your mutt, but Beth and I do love eachother, heightened emotions set aside."

I reluctantly accepted his claim. "Okay, so you really do want to be with her forever?"

He nodded sheepishly.

"Well if you love her as much as you say you do, then wouldn't it have made sense to ask Beth if she wanted her life to be this way?"

"She would." He assured me. "I know she would."

I wiped my sleepy eyes. "But what about Nikki? Beth's all she has. She won't want you to take her sister away."

"That's why she'll have you." He said.

"I can't do that." I told him. "I can't make that decision for either of them."

"I don't think it's right, what Elena put you through. I think she had a good reason to do it, but I don't think she dealt with it the right way. It isn't right to break up two people. So if I allow you to scurry on back home to your puppy love, it's only fair that you return the favor, don't you think?"

He was starting to make sense. Why was he making sense?

"I'll take you back." He promised. "Tomorrow morning. I'll let you call them tonight and figure out what they want to do. And then I'll take you back in the morning."

It was so tempting, to know that in 24 hours I could be safe again in Seth's arms. "And if they don't let Beth go?"

He half shrugged again. "I guess then I'll have no choice but to turn you."

. . . . . . . . 

NIKKI:

I was pacing the floor like a circus tiger in a cage.

"Stop it." Paul ordered. "You're making me nervous."

"You're nervous, huh?" I snapped. "Beth just woke up and they're not letting me in there, and you're telling me to stop it?"

"Yeah." He said flatly. "Of course they're not letting you in there, why would they? Beth will rip your head off."

"No, she won't! She wouldn't hurt me."

Paul gave me a look of pity. "Do you wanna go for a walk or something?"

"You're kidding, right?" I said sarcastically.

"Standing outside a closed door isn't going to do you any good. You need a distraction." He offered his hand to me.

I pressed my back up against the door. "No."

Paul rolled his brown eyes. "Why are girls so stubborn?"

I ignored his stereotypical comment.

He proceeded to invade my space, holding himself sturdy and enclosed me to the door. His voice turned deeper than usual, as a form of intimidation. "I can distract you."

My voice squeaked. "Try me."

His face only got closer, until it would have taken just a little nudge further for our lips to touch.

The doorknob behind me twisted and the door opened inwards. I sort of stumbled backwards, but spun around instantly. It was one of the Cullens, the big one with arms as wide as my head.

He tried very hard not to glare at Paul, but didn't succeed. I ducked under his big arms and scurried into the room.

I found Beth staring at me like before, but she looked afraid. She held onto the chair she was sitting in, leaning back as far as she could go. Her eyes were overtaking her expression.

I sighed with a big smile and threw myself at her. She was stiff in my arms, frozen and unmoving. I leaned away a bit, but only her eyes followed me.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked whoever was behind me.

Carlisle gently pulled my shoulders back and away from my sister. "She needs a little space is all."

I kept my distance. "Are you okay?"

Her teeth were clenched. 

"Why isn't she talking?"

"Beth," Carlisle said softly, waiting for her eyes to switch over to him. "Remember what I told you."

Beth swallowed a big lump in her throat. She blinked her eyes and appeared to be holding her breath. "Hey, Nik."

I quickly reminded myself of why she was looking at me like I was a milkshake. "Um...how - how are you feeling?"

Beth slowly shut her new eyes. "I'm sorry, but can I..."

"Of course." Carlisle directed me out of the room. Once the door was closed, he explained. "Beth's going to need some time."

"Time?" I questioned. "How long?"

"She needs to adjust, this is all still very new to her."

Paul started shoving me along. "Yeah, thanks."

"Wait." I skidded on my heels, but it didn't do anything. "Paul!"

"If you want to help Beth, then we need to leave."

What? "I didn't even get a chance to -"

"Are you blind?" He asked. "Did you not see the look on her face?"

I stopped trying to fight back. "She wouldn't hurt me..."

Paul sighed, like he explained this to me a thousand times. "You can't be so sure."

. . . . . . . .

JACOB:

I couldn't believe it, but he was sound asleep in his own bed.

Seth hasn't closed his eyes for more than two seconds in well over a day, so when I heard he was passed out in bed I had to see for myself. "It's about time." I whispered.

Sue leaned down to kiss his cheek and mess his hair. "I think he's given up."

I shook my head. "It's just catching up to him. He'll wake up in five minutes and start circling the perimeter again."

Sue pulled the blankets over him. "He's been sleeping for two hours now."

"Really?" I looked closer and realized that he was out cold. "Wow."

Sue sighed. "I don't want him to lose hope, but he can't be running on empty, either."

"He won't be the same until he knows she's okay." We all knew there was no way of knowing if she'd be okay. Seth was the only one still hoping some kind of miracle would happen. Now that he gave up, everyone was just waiting.

"Do you want me to make you something to eat?" Sue rubbed my shoulder.

"I think I'm just going to go home." Just saying the words was a relief.

"Tell Billy I said hello."

"Will do." I hugged her quickly and only made it to the front yard when it happened.

The caller ID was a weird number, but something told me to answer it. "Hello?"

The voice was so small. "Hey, Jake."

I froze, trying to decide if her voice was real. "Who is this?"

"It's Valerie."

I turned to face the house again. "Where are you calling from?"

"Tyler let me use his phone." 

I took apart the funny sound of her voice, a billion thoughts bouncing around my head. I decided to stay general. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay." She insisted.

I still didn't like the way her voice sounded. "But are you okay?"

She dragged out her sigh. "Yes."

I sat myself down on the curb as a sign of relief. "He didn't do anything to you?"

"No."

I spotted Paul and his new girlfriend walking towards me. "So are you coming home?"

"Um..." Val trailed off, probably afraid to say something around him.

Paul gave me a look to ask who I was talking to. "Val, are you there?" I panicked for a second. 

"Yeah...sorry. I'll be home in the morning."

Paul tried listening in, while the girl struggled to keep up. "Really?"

"Yes, but the only way he won't turn me is if.." She was holding it back, I could tell.

"If what?" I pressed.

I pictured her chewing on her lip or wringing her fingers. "If Tyler takes Beth instead."

"Yes!" Paul said loudly. "Tell her we'll do it."

"Do what?" The girl wondered.

"How long do we have to decide?" I asked, slowly realizing how much of a problem this will be.

"I'll be home in the morning." She repeated.

I nodded to Paul. "Okay."

"Jake?"

"Yeah?"

She hesitated. "Is Seth okay?"

I sort of smirked. "Sleeping like a baby."

"Oh..." She sounded disappointed.

"He needs a good nap after lapping the entire country five times looking for you." I added smartly.

Her tone changed. "Oh."

"I'll let him know when he wakes up." I said.

"Can you tell him I love him? And that I'm still sorry for...that?"

I fake groaned. "I guess I can. If I remember."

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

I didn't want her to hang up. This was the only way we knew she was safe. "Okay."

We hung up after some goodbyes.

"Well?" Paul asked anxiously.

I rose to my feet again. "She's coming back tomorrow. But the bloodsucker has a special request."

"What is it?" The girl asked. That's when I remembered Beth was her sister. And if Beth was her sister, that meant Paul would probably change his mind about the hasty decision he made.

I shrugged, because I really had no idea what the hell we were going to do. "He wants Beth instead."
♠ ♠ ♠
guyyysssss! the hunger games is this week! yaaay!

comment and subscribe! tell me what you think!

oh p.s. i'm pretty sure jacob black is my new neighbor(what with his rusty old bike and red car). just saying.