‹ Prequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: pretty active, if i do say so myself :)

Innocent

s e v e n

NIKKI: 

It wasn't as big of an issue as I guessed. "Oh."

"But that's not the real problem." Seth kept his eyes locked on me, showing he was serious. "I mean it is, but he isn't good to have around."

"What do you mean?" I found myself siding with Ty, even though I didn't know him all that well. But still, Beth seemed to trust him enough. And so will I.

"He isn't safe." He said rather simply. 

Are you kidding me? "So what, is he a serial killer or a habitual criminal or something?"

"No, but-"

"Look, I'm sorry that he might make you feel uncomfortable, but you can't ask me to get rid of my sister's boyfriend because of you." Why would I break up the only decent relationship Beth has ever had because of an inconvenience for the neighbors?

"It's not about me, it isn't safe for either of you." He was struggling to get me on his side.

"What exactly does that mean?" I answered my own question. "You can't tell me, can you? It's part of your big bag of wolf secrets. Is he a werewolf too?" 

It was only a joke, but the way he reacted set me off. "He's dangerous, Nikki."

"He's a werewolf?" I nearly gasped.

"No, but he's worse than that. You can't trust him."

"Worse than a werewolf, huh?" I rolled my eyes. He was being so selfish, probably making up lies. "Is he a wizard? Or a dragon? Maybe he's a -"

He stepped right up to me. "Nikki, I'm serious! You gotta get him away from your sister."

"Why?" I shouted back, now just annoyed that he would take it this far. "Beth is happy. Why would I ruin that for her? Just so you can live happily ever after with your soulmate?"

"You have to trust me."

"Well, I'm having trouble with that right now."

I didn't know what caused me to lash out at him. Maybe it was because he didn't care to take into consideration that Beth cares alot about Tyler and she won't just drop him. Or maybe I thought he was lazy for taking the easy way out instead of facing his fears. Or maybe I just didn't believe in this whole thing.

"I shouldn't have said anything." Seth grumbled to himself more than to me.

"I'm sorry, but I can't help you." I said it strongly, and he didn't argue it.

Valerie came back shortly after that with her stupid eggs. She sensed the tension between Seth and I immediately.

"Is everything okay?" She gave me an extra long look, full of concern and eagerness to steal my new secrets.

I could only look at her fully for a few seconds, because Seth was watching me the entire time.  

I wanted to blurt out everything he told me right then and there, but I realized it would only hurt Valerie. He knows her like the back of his hand, and he would be right to predict she would freak out about Tyler's identity. She wasn't the one that bothered me, and if I told her she would be too confused to make any effect.

If he keeps his secrets, I'll keep mine.

I decided to let her find out on her own. "We're great, just waiting on your eggs." I added a smile to make it believable, but the tension was still present.

She checked Seth's expression for confirmation. "Okay."

We didn't breathe a word the entire time. Valerie did most of the work, pouring the batter into the cake pan and putting it in the oven. Seth mixed the batter some, but I mostly watched from a distance.

Valerie knew something was wrong, and she was clearly anxious to find out. I didn't expect to tell her anything, though. I promised Seth I wouldn't, and I don't break promises.

So when Valerie asked me, I had to lie.

She frowned. "Nothing?"

"He wouldn't talk." I shrugged. "I don't think there's anything wrong anyway."

She sighed out of frustration. "I don't know..."

Maybe if I told her, she could explain what Seth meant by Ty being dangerous. What the hell does that even mean! If he's not a werewolf, what else is there to be afraid of? 

It was scary enough not knowing.

. . . . . . . .

SETH:

I figured I would find Jake at the Cullens.

Nessie played with his hands and smiled sweetly when she noticed me.

"Hey, Ness." I ran my fingers over her hair. 

"Hi." She said. She's getting so big so fast. She looks like she's almost as old as Claire, and she's not even a year old yet.

"Did you tell Val?" Jake asked me. I told him that the next time I saw her I would tell her about Tyler.

"Not exactly..." I trailed off and took a seat next to him.

"What do you mean not exactly? Dammit, Seth you need to tell her!"

"Excuse me." Nessie pat his hand, scolding him for his language.

"Sorry." Jake kissed her forehead. "Why didn't you tell her?"

"I didn't tell Val, but I told somebody else." He was already impatient, so I kept going. "The girl that lives next door was there, so -"

"You told some random girl that Tyler's a bloodsucker?" Jacob spit the word. Ness didn't understand, but she knew well enough that something was wrong.

"No, no I just explained the whole Elena thing...but I told her Tyler is dangerous. And she's not some random girl. This effects her directly!"

Jacob gently guided Nessie out of his way and rose to his feet. "That's not okay, Seth. It was already too much that you let her find out about us, and now you-"

"Jake, she's not going to find out about vampires. All she knows is that Tyler is Elena's brother, that's it."

"And that he's dangerous." He rolled his eyes like it was a stupid explanation.

I scoffed right back at him. I blame Sam for Jake's irritability. We literally have spent more hours of the day as wolves than we have as humans. Of course you're gonna get ticked off easily. 

Jake grabbed a handful of my shirt. "You need to tell Valerie now or I will tell her myself."

I brushed his hands away before he phased on the spot. "Okay, okay."

Jacob released me from his grip. "Okay."

I almost convinced myself. "But Jake,"

"Kid, you're making it worse by not saying anything. Besides, she'll need to know why we want to rip him limb from limb the next time we catch him alone."

Nessie's eyes were wide, gazing at Jake like she didn't recognize him.

He frowned, upset with himself. "Bella,"

She appeared only seconds after he called her name. I still haven't really gotten used to it, her being a vampire. She scooped Ness into her arms without saying a word to either of us. I knew it wasn't right to talk about that sort of thing in a house full of the enemy, but Jake should have known better.

"Come on," He ordered.

I followed, just like I always have.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK. so i just finished a book that is undoubtedly the greatest book i have ever read.

if any of you have not yet changed your life by reading The Hunger Games, you need to read it like right now. it's brilliant. i've never read a book that made me feel like i was in it so much that i started to believe it was real.

READ IT NOW. that's an order.

oh, and comment and subscribe :)