Sacrifice

The Grade School Host is the Naughty Type

After weeks of school, things set into a standard and I began to establish a normality. I still despised the yellow uniform dress, and so I had received permission from the board of heads to wear something differen. This permission wouldn’t hardly be considered for anyone else though, as they knew that I would soon be prepping to take my father’s place on the board. The wedding grew closer, we were to be wed the summer after Kyoya graduated which only left a little over a year. I would then have my last year done through home schooling while I was trained to take over the estates of the Suoh’s, and while Kyoya was working to further his future. As of yet it was assumed that his eldest brother would be receiving the inheritance of the Ootori estates, but Kyoya was the only one to have been betrothed which left it to be assumed that perhaps he would receive them.

The bell rang signifying the end of classes and I made my way to the club room like I did most days. Out of mutual respect for my brother I kept myself away from the club affairs for the majority of the time, unless something unusual was taking place. Now that I was here, it pained me that Tamaki and I weren’t close like we had been before he had left France, but as the same time a small part of me couldn’t forgive him for not keeping in touch with Mother and I.
With a light grip I opened the door to the music room and was greeted by the others, Tamaki just waving off my presence, and Kyoya acknowledging me with a gracious nod of the head. Others were less formal and shouted a “Hello” or other greeting. I still had yet to figure out what made Haruhi seem less genuine than the others, but I spent very little time interacting with him too. In classes we had one of the twins between us, and at lunch I would eat in the dining hall with the twins, whom I’d grown quite fond of.

A wave of my hand and a smile signified returned their sentiments as I walked through to a more part of the room, hidden behind a thick curtain. When I’d first ventured into here it had been covered with dust, but as I started to frequent it more often Kyoya had it cleaned, so I wouldn’t get sick or ruin my clothes. This was the actual music section of the room. A baby grand piano in the corner and various other large instruments along the wall by it. It wasn’t a large space, maybe only ten feet from the wall, and all along the length of the far wall. Here, no one bothered me and I played the piano. I could hear them, and they could hear me, but assumed that my playing was a recording… or so I’ve been told.

Setting my bag down beside the piano in the dimly lit space I sat down on the stool and was just about to lay my fingers down on the keys when a commotion rose up from the main area. I stayed in my spot and waited though, unsure of my choice in actions.

From my perch I heard the door swing open, and a verbal gasp from a young child. “Welcome to the Ouran Host Club” the boys chimed in perfect synchronisation. Today I recalled, they were wearing the Arabian looking clothing.

“Oh,” Hikaru started, “It’s just a kid.

“Not only that, it’s just a boy.” Kaoru finished.

“What’s wrong, little boy?” Tamaki asked. “Did you come to my palace in search of something?”

“A-are you the king of this place?” the naïve little boy asked. Tamaki sighed in contempt. “Well are you?”

“Come closer lost one.” Tamaki beckoned. “What was it you just called me, little boy?”

“The king.”

In my head, my dramatic brother fell off of his mental rocker and had a slight conniption at being called “the king” which I assume is fairly correct.

“The king! Yes I am the king of the Ouran Host Club! Long live the Host King…” I heard him swoon.
I could hear the little boy getting frustrated. “I’m an elementary fifth year. Shiro Takaoji! I want the Host Club King to take me on as an apprentice!” he demanded.

My head fell, “Oh, sweet naïve little boy. What have you done to his ego, and where has your common sense gone?” I muttered to myself. It was at this point that I deemed this as an interesting event and quietly made my way from the curtained area into the light. I smoothed down my pale yellow pencil skirt and blazer, my long white turtle neck tank top showing through the v neck of the blazer, and under the bottom of the blazer’s hem. . While I still wasn’t overly fond of the colors, I didn’t want to stick out too much.

Kyoya told the boy to be back at the same time the next day, and signified the club’s activities to be done for today. I decided to wait, and not introduce myself to the boy yet. I knew that this would be a bad idea, but I wanted to know what made him come to this extreme. Perhaps I could help him…

The next day in the club I sequestered myself to Kyoya’s couch and drank tea while he worked. He rarely entertained, so I found it to be a blessing in disguise that I would have someone to sit with when I graced the club with my attendance. Because of my relation to Tamaki and Kyoya’s and my engagement he didn’t charge me, like the other girls were. Our couch was situated kind of by Tamaki’s, very near the center of the room making it easy to hear every conversation going on.

“Oh my, Tamaki, you have an apprentice?” a girl asked.

“Yes, he’s still in elementary school but I like the fire in his eyes.” Tamaki said, trying to sell the boy to the unattractive girl.

“But are you sure it’s ok for such a young boy to become a host?” she asked.

“Why wouldn’t it be? Love has nothing to do with age. Take us, for instance. Whenever I look at you my heart starts pounding. Suddenly I feel no different than a lovesick little boy.” He romanced. The girl swooned, and Shiro continued to stare uncomfortably at Tamaki and his customer.

“Oh Tamaki!” she exclaimed.

“Don’t you think it’s weird he’s making the kid observe him up close like that?” Haruhi asked Kyoya, who was no longer sitting by me, but had moved to standing beside me as I sat next to the couch’s arm.

“There is a theory that people are considered more beautiful the closer they are viewed.” He explained slyly. “Tamaki seems to live by that theory. Well, let’s leave them alone.” He ushered Haruhi before walking off. Haruhi sighed before replenishing my cup and giving me an odd look.

“Can I help you?” I asked politely.

“You sure are an awful lot different than Sempai over there.” He comented, looking in Tamaki’s direction as he continued to please the girl with him.

“I suppose that’s because of the difference in our upbringing.” I said lightly. “Here, sit.” I said, gesturing to the space beside me. He set down the tray he was holding and sat beside me, giving me all of his attention. “The reason Tamaki and I act different is because as a child he was never considered the heir to the Suoh estates. That was always me, as soon as I was born. Because of this Tamaki was raised like a Grantaine, which is our mother’s side of the family. He was privilidged, but never quite so much as me. My grandmother however made it her personal duty to raise me like her own child, even though I did live in France. I was raised as a Suoh, and it was always expected of me to take over the family matters once I was of age and had married.” I started to explain. “But because of our different upbringings there was always a rift between Tamaki and myself. We used to be close, but we were never as close as some might think we were. I think that he was always jealous of me because of the way our grandmother treated me, while she despised him. When our grandmother came to bring me to Japan the first time, Tamaki volunteered himself in a fit of rage. Him and I had a fight that day, and he didn’t want to be around me. He figured that if he could come here and impress our grandmother that he may be in the good graces. He had expected to be the successor after coming here.” I sighed, the story dull from this point, and tragic in Tamaki’s view. “A year ago my grandmother visited and declared that I was still the heir, and that she had found me a suitable husband from a good family. I planned with my mother for a while, closed off affairs in France and readied my life to be transported to Japan. Tamaki of course, doesn’t know any of this. No one has told him why I’m here now, that he won’t be the successor or that I’m engaged to be wed. I feel that it would be best if I waited, and told him at the right time. You know how dramatic he can be.” I said, brushing off the spec of pain I felt at hiding so much from Tamaki.

“Wow” Haruhi started, “When are you getting married? And to who?” he asked.

“I’m getting married in a little over a year. To be exact, the summer after Tamaki graduates. And I can’t tell you whom I’m marrying. Him and I have made a mutual decision to keep it a secret until the engagement party. I’m sure you’ll all be invited though.” I said with a smile. I knew that Haruhi was smart, and I didn’t want to leave any clues as to who it might be. He would surely be the one to figure it out.

Behind us a commotion began to break out as Shiro insulted Tamaki’s customer, the twins and Hani. I shook my head as Haruhi picked up the tray again and began walking over to refill the teapot and the coffee pot. Shiro backed up right into Haruhi. Haruhi tried to talk to him when I heard the magic words come out of Shiro’s mouth, “Are you a cross-dresser?” and suddenly it all fit. Tamaki made a fit of making Shiro take the tea from Haruhi, and the twins were quick to jump in and protect the secret.

Shiro dropped the tea set and Kyoya told Haruhi it would be added to her total owing to the club. I stood from the seat and went over to Kyoya whispering, “Really now, can’t you give her a break? It wasn’t her fault.” I pleaded.

“Somehow I’m getting the feeling that marrying you could be the death of me.” He grumbled before reducing what he had added.

“Thank you Kyoya.” I said with a smile.

Some more fuss came from the boys behind us and a giant cage dropped on top of Shiro, trapping him from going anywhere. For a few minutes I tuned out the whole debacle, just standing with Kyoya and going over a few numbers with him. Revising the very few places he’d made mistakes and making the odd suggestion.

I clued into a few parts and discovered the true motive behind Shiro’s actions. He wasn’t trying to woo all girls, just one, and he had to do it fast. Kyoya was clearly paying attention more than as was as he quickly chimed in after Tamaki. “You see, here at the Ouran Host Club our policy is to use our individual personality traits to meet the needs of our guests. For example there’s Tamaki, who is the princely type. There’s the strong silent type; the boy Lolita type; the little devil type; and the cool type. It’s all about variety. And now our group is complete with the addition of Haruhi: the natural.” Haruhi questioned Kyoya’s decription quietly, “It would seem we have a perfect blend of characteristics, so it’s going to be difficult to find a new type for Shiro.”

I stood in the background as the guys debated on what he should actually be, all coming up short. That is, until Renge appeared again. She gave a spiel about how they weren’t at all up to par with their character analysis. Personally I thought this was all bogus, but Shiro hadn’t clued in to the true meaning behind the host club and the boys hadn’t yet figured out that he didn’t want to please all women.

I stood against the wall as Renge made a horrible show of “transforming” the boy. Tamaki applauded Renge, and Shiro stood up exclaiming that they were all idiots.

He made a loud exclamation about how this was all just a big show and none of it would help him. He ran for the door, and I slipped out of it right after him. I grabbed him by the collar and pulled him aside. “Shiro, talk to me. Why did you come here in the first place?” I asked kindly, and gave him a motherly look.

He melted like putty in my hands. “Because I can’t make her happy, and I need to do it before she leaves!”

“Calm down, who is she, and where is she going?”

“She’s this really nice, pretty girl in my class. Her dad got a new job, and they have to move far away for it.” He explained sadly.

“Well, what does she like?”

“Well, she can play the piano really good. We used to be in the classical music club together.”
A smirk climbed onto my face, and I knew what I could do to help.

“Shiro, I can help you. I promise you.” His face looked skeptical, “It won’t be anything like what they’ve been doing. Trust me.” I gave him a reassuring smile.

“How will I learn from you then?”

“For starters, don’t come back here. They don’t understand. I’ll find you.” I said. “Now go, you should get home before it’s too late.” I urged and walked back into the club room.

The next day after school I already had my things packed up and all but ran to the elementary school just across campus. I had to find Shiro before my idiot brother got his hands on him again. Once I got to the elementary school I raced to the music room. I had a feeling he would be there, since I expressly told him not to go to the Host Club. He was sitting on the window sill looking depressed. I opened the door and went over to the teacher.

“Excuse me sir, but if it’s alright with you I’d like to talk to Shiro. It’s rather important and I do apologize for his absence lately.”

He nodded and I went over, sitting beside Shiro on the window sill. “What do you play?” I asked, hoping and praying he knew at leaste some piano.

“I’m learning to play the piano.” He said shortly.

“Good, I can teach you more. I can teach you to impress her, I promise. What are you learning right now?” I asked, trying to get as much information as I could.

Before he could answer a cute little girl came over and asked him about the new piece, and if he’d like to work on it with her. He seemed shy and I assumed that this was the girl he wanted to make happy. He refused and allowed her to use the only grand piano, she seemed grateful, but I wanted him to impress her with this piece. She started playing and I smiled to myself. “Is that the new piece?” I asked him.

“Yeah, she plays it beautifully.” He said.

“I can teach you to master this piece. It won’t hardly take any time at all.” I said, confident in my skills. This was, after all, one of the first pieces I taught Tamaki. Thinking of that, I noticed that him and the others stood outside of the music room, watching through the windows. I noticed Tamaki’s face glaze over as though in memory, and knew that he was thinking of the same thing I was. We were both thinking of the day I taught him to play piano.

Shiro too noticed the guys and burst out of the room, yelling at them. It was futile, Tamaki picked him up and started toward the High School. I followed after them, “Tamaki, you put him down! Tamaki! Listen to me, brother!” I shouted as I followed them, but he ignored me. I didn’t want him to hurt this boy anymore, nor did I want Shiro’s time to be wasted.

The room was dark and Shiro was thrown on a couch. I was at his side fast, helping him up and trying to protect him from Tamaki. They argued, and Tamaki called Shiro an idiot. I stood, “Tamaki, you cannot blame this little boy for your mistakes. I understand that right now you’re hurting and you were wrong. I’m hurting too, but you can’t take it out on him. He’s young, he didn’t know any better, and you being emotional because of a stupid song doesn’t help anything!” I exclaimed.

Tamaki stormed over and ripped the curtain away from the piano. He sat down at what I had claimed as my piano and started to play the accompanying part to the piece. Tamaki started to explain that for the next week, until Hina moved Shiro would be taught to play like a master by Tamaki.

“As touching of a moment as this is, Tamaki, I don’t think you can really teach him.” I stated, dryly.

Everyone looked at me in a scandalous manor, and Tamaki looked at me with pain.
“Why not, the Boss is great at the Piano!” Kaoru exclaimed, most agreeing with him.

“But you can help me to teach him. And it will take less time. Give him more time with her, he doesn’t have much as it is, and I don’t want you monopolizing all of it.” I said.

“How can you say that you should teach Shiro? Sempai is really good!” Haruhi argued. I looked at her with a smirk, and Kyoya made his entrance.

“Because Karuma taught Tamaki how to play.” He said.

“Tamaki, please move. I’d like to play something.” I said politely. He nodded and moved out of the way. Sitting down on my stool I flexed my fingers quickly before placing them over the keys and playing Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata, the third movement. He stood by Shiro, the club members behind him. Shiro was flabbergasted at what he was hearing.

“You know,” Tamaki started, “She learned this on a whim, to play at her seventh birthday recital. She started teaching me when she was five.” He said to Shiro, but everyone was listening.

Less than a week later Hina arrived at the club room and everything was set up for Shiro to show her what he had learned. I stayed virtually absent through the event, but I did listen to their playing. It made me happy that Tamaki and I had finally agreed on something after the dispute we’d been having, and it touched me to see Shiro and Hina play together. Together they played the piece wonderfully, and I don’t think I could have been more proud.

After that Shiro started to become more and more like Tamaki after Hina left, and I faded out of the picture more, and more.