Pitch Black

Chapter One: Outcasts

So, to start off, everything was black.

Seriously. My entire world was just filled with black. I couldn't escape it. I went to a private school, Huntington's School for Advanced and Gifted Minds, so huge it nearly looked like a castle, and it was made out of black stones. The uniforms even, were black and gray. And it rained so often that the skies were even black. There was no color to anything. Everything was put into an order. I used to absolutely hate how dark and depressing it all was. But I hated it to the point where it overcame me. I became a part of it. And I just sort of went with it.

Of course, not all the students were like that. They socialized and gossiped about as much as any other public school. But then there were the students like me. Didn't talk much. Didn't socialize. In fact, the only people I talked to was my only friend, Brandon, and my girlfriend Lynn.

Brandon and I were known as "friends." I guess you could call the relationship a friendship, but really, we just had a lot in common. We never really confided in each other, just told each other things. Never really understood each other, but empathized. Never really hung out, but simply stood next to one another being quiet until one of us said something. But all the same, I was secretly thankful for Brandon. He was quiet at the times he should be, and talked when he should be talking. So, in a way, we're "friends."

Lynn was like me too. But instead of being assimilated by the dark walls of the school, she was in hatred and refused to be a part of it. She went along, but never let it control or define her-she stayed independent. She was an orphan, so she's been at the school almost her entire life, and she hated every single year. But she was quiet. She only talked to me, and occasionally Brandon. We had been dating for about three years now. You could say I love her, and she loves me. In a way, we do love each other. But not like other couples love each other. We don't kiss or hug in public. We like to be alone when we show affection to each other, not flaunt it off. Everyone knows we date just by the fact that they see us around together every single day. They don't need any other evidence.

All three of us were part of the "outcasts" group. But we were some of the smartest kids in that school, and that's saying something, considering it was a gifted/advanced minds school. That's why we were outcasts. But I don't mind it. None of us does. The school exercises minds that think in different ways, so I guess you could say we think in different different ways. It's complicated, yet understandable. So, some of us outcasts decided to make a club. Somewhere where we could think without being tied down to the usual intelligently-mundane and unique ideas of the usual student. We named it Pitch Black, after the mood the school often left us in. Pitch Black only had about seven members, including Brandon, Lynn and I, all of us who were common in more ways than two. But we were alright with that-no one wanted to join us anyway. They think we're all very uninteresting. But it's really the contrary; even if we spend the entire hour in silence, we're busy with our own thoughts. That was what Pitch Black was all about; giving us a place to think and escape out loud.

I was content with my life. There were lots of things that I didn't like, but I couldn't change them, so I didn't fight it. I had Lynn, and a true "friend". That was all I needed.

But things changed, a lot, and my patience really began to strain for the first time once Xavier Belial came to Huntington's.