Pitch Black

Chapter Eleven: Bond

He stepped closer towards me, smiling his trademark smile and suddenly I understood how Caesar felt when Xavier cornered him like this. Scared. Trapped.

But most of all betrayed and hurt. I lay there on he ground feeling numb and unmoved. I decided death would feel better than what I was experiencing, and moved myself to a sitting position, throwing the book towards Xavier.

So this was why he had gotten so close to me? To gain my trust, drink my blood and reap my soul? I suppose that was what I got for handing my trust to another, my very heart...

Xavier didn't kill me. He took the book, kneeled beside me, took me up in his arms, and kissed the cheek where he had clawed me.

"I'm sorry-" he began, but that's when I punched him with all the force I could muster. He was thrown back, and I hit him right underneath his eye. It started to get swollen, and he put his hand to it.

"Ouch." He said, sounding unphazed.

"Bastard." I said, standing up. "After all this time you were going to drag my soul to Hell with you?! Is that what all those shows, dinners, the time spent with you was about?! I've never met anyone who disgusts me more!"

"That's always it with humans," Xavier said matter-of-factly, getting to his feet. "You always accuse but refuse to listen to the whole story-"

"I've heard enough! I want you gone, Xavier, and I mean it, leave me be-"

"It was like that at first..." he said in a voice barely above a whisper. I grew silent, waiting.

"It was like that. I was going to take your soul. But... something happened along that road... and I couldn't. I just couldn't do it to you. After having your true love ripped from you and seeing how you truly were... I couldn't bring myself to do it."

"Then... then what about Brandon? Why didn't you do it to him?" I asked.

"I could have. He wasn't as fun to deal with as you, Jack. He would have willingly given it up. You would struggle and fight for it." The mere thought made him smile. "And he was the only friend you had in your life... I couldn't take that away from you."

"So... you did it all for me?" I asked quietly. He nodded.

"But that's what you get for associating with humans... I suppose you'll want to know that I hypnotized you on one occasion. Lynn's funeral. I made you kiss me. But that was an oopsie on my part too, accidentally made a bond between us that made you subconciously find me the next day..." He looked down at the ground and shook his head. I expect you're frustrated with me and hate me like always. It was all nice while it lasted though-"

He was stopped short as I went over to him and kissed him on the mouth. He tensed at first, but then relaxed and kissed me back. It was an intimate moment. I withdrew slightly, and whispered, "that was of my own accord. All is forgiven."

He gave me a small smile and lent his forehead against mine, thanking me. It made me remember something.

Something that happened in this very room.

Hate before love is quite a common thing... Think back...

Lynn was shouting at me to leave her be... I could see she despised me but I wasn't budging, not until she told me what was wrong...

Then think now...

I hated Xavier. But now? Quite the opposite... I cared for him more than I knew.

"So, now you know about me..." Xavier said in a slightly defeated tone.

"And it's alright..." I responded. "But you can take my soul if you wish."

He looked at me. "Are you mad?" He asked. "Do you know what it's like down there?"

I gave him a weak smile. "Wouldn't want you punished now, would we?"

He beamed brighter than I ever saw him, and kissed me again. "How sweet of you to offer, but I decline."

"Didn't you only have ten years to find someone?" I asked. "You can't waste time!"

"Correction." Xavier said evenly. "I only have a week."