Pitch Black

Chapter Nineteen: Sacrifices

I opened my eyes. Everything was dim and dark, and I had no idea where I was. I moved my body slightly, though it ached with each movement. I felt as if I was in an ocean of cool blankets, and upon sitting up and looking around me, I was in Christopher's bed. I collapsed back onto the bed, my whole body feeling sore. I was changed into some sort of loose, comfortable robe. I sighed softly, and closed my eyes, escalating all my other senses to take its place. I was tired of looking and using my eyes. I had seen the worst, and then, I wanted to see no more.

I heard the bedroom door open, and gentle footsteps enter, but I kept my eyes closed. I heard the strike of a match, and then footsteps circle the room. Then, they came to me, and comforted me in such a way that I desperately needed. The light, brushing touch of fingertips to my cheek, forehead, arms, hands, neck, and through my hair. The sweep of lips to mine, then my ear.

"Wake up, will you? It's all over."

I opened my eyes, and was pleased to see Christopher's face. Not Xavier's but Christopher's. His piercing gray eyes, his untidy, brunette hair, face dotted with freckles, dimples forming at the corners of his mouth that were pulled up, all Christopher's. He cradled my cheek with his hand and kept a tender smile. In that smile, I saw the ghost of the smile of the man I hated so much a few months ago. It seemed like years since then, and now I was in so much love with him. I smiled back, nearly overwhelmed with how happy I was.

I looked around and noticed that many white candles were lit around us. Christopher was sitting beside me on the bed. Something sad shone in his eyes, as if he was about to cry. I put a hand on his.

"Are you comfortable?" He asked. I nodded, and he gently swept hair away from my face. I didn't notice how long it had gotten.

"Can I get you anything?"

"No. Just... lay next to me."

He obeyed, and we were soon in each other's arms. His familiar scent had taken on a gentler tone than I last remembered when being this close to him.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, Chris." I said, chuckling. "I'm okay. Don't keep all your worrying on me, you should be worrying about yourself."

"But why worry about myself? I've been to Hell and back more than once, but I shouldn't have even dragged you down with me. I've made you experience the worst things a human could ever experience."

"Chris... I would travel to hell and back if it meant I could be with you, if only for even a moment." I hugged him tighter to me, not wanting to let go. "For all that I've been through, being here with you... it's worth it."

He smiled. "I love you, Jack. So much."

"I love you too." Though I knew all would be safe, and the worst was over, one thing still stirred at the back of my brain.

"Where's Lynn?" I asked.

He was quiet for a moment before answering. "She... she didn't make it out. She won't ever get back out. She stayed behind so that we could leave."

I stayed silent after this. I was filled again with remorse. Did it ever end? A beautiful soul was lost in Hell because of me. Chris seemed to sense my sadness, and stroked my arm affectionately.

"Now, now." He said in soothing tones. "Don't worry your head over it. If she knew she couldn't handle it she would have come with us."

"But it was all over me. My soul isn't worth such sacrifice..."

"Jack, we sacrificed so much for you, because we love you." He said softly. As he spoke, he sounded as though many voices were slowly mimicking him, until it sounded like many voices all at once. "You're soul is worth more than anything to us. I know at first it sounds a bit ridiculous to you, and you'll wonder why, but soon you'll feel grateful for the great things loved ones do to ensure your happiness."

"Wh-what?" I said. "What do you mean 'we'? You're still here... and you're staying... aren't you?"

He smiled at me, and slowly got out of bed. I sat up, reaching out for him, but he seemed to walk more and more out of my reach. It all felt like a dream. As he walked back, smiling, tears ran down his face, and dark figures materialized into the room. I recognized faint outlines on two of the figures where their faces should have been; Lynn's, Caesar's. They and the rest of the dark figures merged together and formed a great, dark, bird-like creature. Christopher's smile twitched, as though he wanted to release his smile, but he kept it as he stared at me with woebegone eyes. I reached out for him, I called his name, but all that came from my mouth was a soft echo. The giant, bird like creature wrapped its wings around him, and he closed his eyes as enveloped him and with him sank down, down into the ground, inside a swirling, fiery portal. Distant screams rang from the portal as the creature sank down lower and lower.

The creature disapeared. The portal vanished, along with the sound of the screams. And the white candles lit in the room flickered and burnt out.