Face Your Fears

Chapter 2 - Pack Up & Leave

I finished loading the gun. I picked up a belt which I had made when I was younger; it fit perfectly for the gun. I put the belt around my waist and the gun in the belt. "Got what you need?" Tom said standing in the doorway "Nope not yet, Kristian go get the keys and any coins you can find" "Coins?" Chris asked, being skeptical as always "Yes, coins! Coins are great ammo even without a proper weapon, you can always use a sling, and they are pretty good if you make them right...” I replied standing on my bed gazing around my top shelves for a large box I had hidden a few years ago.

"Tom you can either help him or go find blankets clothes, shoes, and first aid kit and so on, we have to go help sis and mom... " "And then what?!" Chris half yelled being his grumpy self. "Then..." I hesitated "We'll go to Fredericia... to find dad" "All downtown is flooded with zombies" Tom butted in, standing in my doorway yet again. "How'd you know?" "Got a text from a friend of mine, he's probably a zombie by now..." Tom answered sadly "What makes you think that?" "He was bitten." I turned to Tom "I'm so sorry Tom but that's why we need to be prepared, we don't want ourselves or the people we love to turn into mindless zombies" I said with a sad smile. I didn't even want to know who was bitten, what if I had known the person? Then I would be sad but I couldn't be, not at that point. I had to keep focus.

"Get the stuff you collected and put it in the minibus. It's out on the street but take some kind of weapon with you, you never know when another zombie will turn up..." I said as calmly as I could "Oh and take the rifle" I shifted my gaze back to my shelves, where I finally caught sight of what I was looking for, a suitcase, black and silver in color, one handle, two locks, one key. I took the suitcase down and plopped it on my bed. I looked out my door Chris had finally decided to help pack our stuff. I opened my closet, and packed a backpack filled with clothes for me and my lab top in the back with the charger on top. Then I emptied my closet, removing the remaining clothes.

There was a small hole in the back of the closet, I stuck my finger in and pulled the wooden plate, that had seemed to be the 'wall' of the closet but actually just was something I had made for a secret room, out. In the secret room I had a key on a necklace which was just a leather string, a large knife with jagged edge, a rather large number of craft knives, in different sizes but all in a good quality. I grabbed my backpack and dropped all the craft knives in it. I took the key-necklace around my neck and the jagged knife in my belt, which also had a pocket for that exact knife. What can I say? I've been waiting for a war all my life, that it happened to be a war against zombies however, I didn't know. As the last thing I took the container of BBS, dropped them in my backpack and zipped it up. I took on my jacket, rested the backpack on my right shoulder and grabbed the suitcase.

I heard a loud "HONK!" and ran outside; I locked the door to the house. Just in case we might need to go back for a 'safe place' though I doubted it would be safe once the zombies got to it. I ran to the minibus and saw Chris in the driver’s seat and Tom in the passenger seat. The back of the minibus was packed with stuff. "Wait a sec!" I yelled running back to the house, unlocking the door and running into my parent’s bedroom once again I gazed up on the top shelves, this time taking down all small round boxes and stuffing them into my backpack. I ran to the washroom, which was where the door out was, and grabbed the key to the garage. Then I ran outside again, locking the door behind me and ran to the garage.

I unlocked the sliding door and slid it open. But before walking in, I ran to the minibus and threw all my stuff inside. "You ready yet?" Chris said sounding bored "No, we still need water and some more weapons" "More weapons?" Tom asked looking at me like I was crazy "Yes more weapons! Could you guys get some water?" "Already did" Chris said pointing at 2 water containers in the back "How much?" I asked pointing at the 2 containers with my thumb. "55 Gallons" Chris answered "Each" Tom adds "Awesome" I said before running back to the garage.

I looked around for something to use. Something caught my eye, my dad’s axe that we would use to split logs. I grabbed it and slowly took it to the bus, it was freaking heavy! "Kenneth!" I whined as I took another brake from carrying the axe "Too heavy for you?" He teased "Just take it already!" He laughed at me but took the axe with ease and put it in the back. I quickly closed and locked the garage door before I got in the minibus.

"Done now?" Chris asked being impatient "Yup" The passenger door closed with a thud and Tom spoke "We better go save Tess and mom-" "Don't forget Sofia!" I interrupted reminding him of Tess's 1 year old daughter. "I would never!" He said jokingly as Chris backed the bus out of the driveway. He drove to the right, out of the socket road that we lived on. We spotted a few zombies on the way but none of them where a threat to us at the moment. He took another right then a left turn. That's when the trouble began...