Face Your Fears

Chapter 3 - Speed, Power & Luck

14:43pm
We were driving on the main road going downtown when a massive horde of zombies where heading our way. They had already taken up spots of the small street my sister lived on. "What are we gonna do now?!" Chris said, stressing out a bit. "Chill bro, just keep your eyes on the road, Tom and I will take care of the zombies..." I said, looking around trying to think of a way to get rid of the zombies. "Tom you take the rifle, I'll use the gun" Tom nodded as I handed him the rifle which had been placed on the seat to the left of me. I grabbed my backpack and took the gun out of my belt. "Not gonna help much" I thought "It can't kill... but it might be good for distraction" I looked up from the gun and spoke out loud "Tom use the roof window"

He did as I said and opened the roof window. He stood up and crawled half through, rifle first. "Got pellets?" I asked looking up at him. "No" He replied while checking the ammunition. I zipped my backpack open and grabbed a couple boxes of magnum pellets and threw them on the front passenger seat. Tom grabbed one and loaded the rifle. "So what's the plan?!" Tom asked looking back at me. "Speed, power" I started "...a whole bunch of luck" I finished in a low voice while pulling back the blow-back on the gun. "See that group of zombies?" "Yeah" My brothers said in unison. "Speed up and drive through" I said "What?!" Tom erupted getting down from the roof window "NOW!" Chris stepped on it and Tom quickly closes the roof window and fell back in his seat before we hit the hoard of zombies.

It turned out the hoard wasn't as big as it looked and we could easily drive through. We did the same with a couple of the zombie groups on the small street. "Chris you stay here and use the gun for distraction" "Gun?" He turned to me just as I threw him the gun. "Yeah" I said "The gun" "Kristy we go in?" "Yup" I popped the 'p' and grabbed my backpack. I looked to the sides making sure there were no zombies around before opening the door. "Keep the engine going" Tom said to Chris who stared at us as we went out of the car. "And lock the doors until we get back" I added.

"Can I have the rifle?" I asked Tom who stared at weapon-less me. "You can use the Axe, right? Or is it too hard to handle?" I said with genuine worry in my voice, something I rarely showed. "No it's alright… I can handle it... here" He handed me the rifle before getting the Axe, which he had put in the back of the minibus. "We better get going" I said lowering my voice "Why are you whispering?" Tom asked following my example "The zombies might be able to hear us I don't want to take chances..." I whispered. Tom nodded and walked to the front door. It was unlocked as it always is at this time of day.

Tom opened the door and walked in first looking out for zombies that might already be inside... I walked right behind him looking behind us making sure no zombies would sneak up on us while walking up the stairs. "1st floor to the left" I mumbled to myself. After a short walk up the stairs we had reached my sisters apartment. Tom slowly grabbed the door handle in an attempt to open the door "click" He tugged it again "Click" "Tom" He tugged it once more this time more violently "click!" "Tom!" He didn't respond he just kept on pulling the door as if it would help "Click, click, Click, CLICK!" "KEN!" I yelled, without thinking it through.

We heard something crash downstairs, in the basement. I looked down the stairs; someone -or something- was trying to break through the basement door. "We better hurry" I said, Tom just nodded. I reached in my pocket and took out my phone. I dialed a number and pressed the call button "H-hallo?" The female voice was shaky "Tess? Umm are you all alright??" "Kristy?? Ye-yeah we're fine... but those things-" "Zombies, Tess. They're zombies" I said trying to stay calm as the banging noise got louder and louder as -I presume- more and more zombies tried to break the basement door down. "Could you open the door and maybe let us in??" I asked getting insecure. "What? ... Us? ... Who?" She asked sounding both panicking and confused at the same time. I sighed "Tom and I are outside your door all you have to do is unlock the damn thing so that we can get in" I was getting stressed "The door won’t hold much longer" I thought as I gazed down at the basement door.