Face Your Fears

Chapter 4 - Break Down

The loud banging and moaning became louder and louder as each second passed. I wiped a drop of sweat from my forehead, both from heat and slight fear but most of all stress zombies aren't exactly easy to deal with. "Come on come on" He coed waiting un-patiently for my sister to unlock the door. Finally we heard a soft "Click" Tom tapped me on the shoulder, I looked back at him and saw the door was open and a frightened pregnant woman in her early twenties with light brown-grey hair and blue grey eyes with a tint of green in them was standing in the doorway looking worriedly at me and my brother. I looked at her clothes it was spotted with a nasty dark red almost black substance I presumed to be zombie blood.

It felt like we had been standing there starring at each other forever but in reality it was probably just a couple minutes. There was a loud “CRACK” I looked down at the basement door. I had been distracted for too long. The zombies where getting through, they had destroyed the lock completely. It was beyond repair. Not that anyone was going to fix it anyway. Zombies streamed up the stairs at a fairly quick pace. I raised the rifle and aimed for heads only. My aim was not the best I was shaking and I missed a lot. Even with my bad aim I managed to keep the zombies on safe distance. Suddenly I was ripped back by my shoulders and through the apartment door which was swiftly closed and locked by my sister.

Tom turned me around and looked me in the eyes. I couldn’t blink it was as if I was in a trance. “Kristy” He shook me lightly “Kristy! Are you okay?” He asked a little louder, though still trying to keep it down. “Hi!” A sweet baby voice snapped me out of my trance and I sat down in squat. I looked into Sofia’s deep blue eyes that also had a tint of green to them. “Are you okay sweetie?” I asked pulling her in for a hug which she gladly returned. She pulled out of the hug nodding while she smiled her small pearly teeth showing matching the tiny dimples on her rosy cheeks.

I smiled back “I hope she’s as strong as her mother” I thought as I got up. Sofia ran off to the living room. I followed slowly, trying not to make any noise; the apartment wasn’t exactly safe with zombies outside the door. When I got into the living room it felt like I was drained from blood. I was frozen in place, no matter how much I wanted to look away, I couldn’t. A pool of blood covered the cork floor staining the fluffy white carpet which was lying by the couch and the small glass table. Tears rimmed my eyes, now I understood why Tess was so pale and why the black blood was covering her. She had killed it that creature. That thing I used to call my mother.

A pair of arms wrapped around me hushing me as silent tears made their way down my cheeks. I had never been one to cry. I always avoided it if I could. If I did cry I would hide it, do it while I was alone. But then… then I was not alone. My brother was holding me hushing me still until the tears slowly began to stop flowing. I could feel my body again, I could move. I pulled out of the hug still starring at the beheaded corps. “Where is the head” I asked my voice a bit hoarse from crying. “Under the sheet” A soft voice spoke behind me. “Why?” I asked, already knowing the answer. “She got bitten… she started to act oddly and then…” I heard sobs. I turned and faced my sister who was no longer stained in black blood.

I hugged her tightly. “It is okay sis” I whispered soothingly “We’ll get through this” I pulled out of the hug as soon as she had calmed down. She nodded her head, probably feeling that she had responsibility to me my brother and of cause her own daughter. She couldn’t give up, not now. She had to stay strong for the sake of her family –the ones still alive. “Where is your boyfriend?” I asked as I noticed he wasn’t in the apartment. “He’s with his sister” She answered hoarsely “They’re okay” I nodded but then frowned “I thought they hated each other?” I asked confused. Tess giggled “They do” I laughed a bit but was careful not to be too loud. We didn’t need to get any unnecessary attention from the zombies.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is all I've got for now, please comment and tell me what you think sincerely -Kristy-