Status: Completed

Breaking Hearts and Breaking Bones Has Never Been So Romantic

Hate's A Strong Word

With sad eyes, I followed the little hand of the clock as it slowly made its hourly journey, starting at one point and coming full circle, ending at the same place it begun only to start all over again.

I know that when you long for someone to come back to you - longing to the point that it hurts your mind to think about them anymore, and to the point that it pains your heart with the fear that they won't come back - it's no use to look at the clock.

But when the person you're waiting for is a guy who had walked away from you with your heart tucked tightly in the back pocket of his skinny jeans, you abandon all reasoning and ignore the simple rules that had been hardwired into your brain. When the man you love had walked out on you, merely because of your request, you're going to sit and stare at the clock regardless of what common sense may say.

"Angela, dinner is done." My brother called from the kitchen.

"I'm not hungry." I muttered.

"Angie," I heard him sigh.

"I said I'm not fucking hungry." I snapped.

I could imagine the sad look on my brother's face as he watched me from the kitchen. I don't dare look up at him though; I never let my eyes leave the clock. It's been three days since the day I found out that I'm pregnant, three days since I told Gabriel, three days since he walked out on me.

I haven't heard from him since he's been gone. Both my brother and I have tried to call him numerous times, but he hasn't answered any of our calls.

This isn't the first time that Gabriel and I have fought about something, and this isn't the first time he's gone MIA on us. This time, though, this time things are different. This is different from our usual spats. This is different from our usual disagreements. This disagreement is one that is bound to change the rest of our lives forever.

"Angie, have you tried calling his dad?" Alex asked quietly.

Glancing up slightly, I saw that he had since taken up residence on the couch across from me.

"I don't want to bother him." I whispered. "He's been so good and helpful to me during all the other fights Gabe and I have had, but this ... this isn't the type of thing he should have to council me through. This is between me and Gabe."

"I'm not saying to talk about what's going on between you and Gabe, just ... maybe his dad knows where he's at."

"If I give the impression that I haven't seen Gabe, his dad will ask what happened and I can't lie to him or be vague with an answer because he'll keep pressing until I give in and tell him the truth."

"Well, it's either tell him the truth, or sit around and wait for Gabe to show up." Alex sighed before he stood up. I felt him watching me a few seconds longer, most likely debating on whether or not he was going to offer any more words of wisdom, but soon the sound of his footsteps fading away indicated that he thought better of it.

Frowning, I looked one last time at the clock and then sighed heavily. Following my brothers actions, I stood up and went to the front door. Sliding into my flip flops, I grabbed my coat and then shoved my keys into my pocket.

"Alex, I'm going for a walk." I said, opening the door.

"But, dinner - "

"I'll be back within an hour or so." I said, cutting him off.

"Angie - "

Any further protests from my brother were cut short as I closed the door behind me. Just as our door closed, the door across from me opened, and Devon walked out. After locking the door behind him, he turned around and jumped slightly in surprise when he saw me.

"Oh, hey Angela." He smiled shyly. "I haven't seen you around in a while. How are you?"

"Oh ... I could be better." I answered truthfully.

The smile on Devon's face faded away and a sad look replaced it. "What's wrong?" He asked softly.

"It's ... nothing," I said, shaking my head, "I don't want you bother you with my troubles. I'll see you later." I added, making a move for the elevator at the end of the hallway, but Devon placed a gentle hand on my arm, stopping me.

"Angie, please." He said gently. "Tell me what's wrong."

I looked up at him and found sincere concern in his eyes. Over the course of the past year Devon and I have hung out here and there, and although I didn't know that much about him, I know that he really does have a good heart.

"Gabe and I got into a fight." I mumbled softly. "I haven't seen him in three days."

"Oh," Devon frowned, "I'm sorry." He said. "Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

Staring up into his hazel eyes, I found comfort and safety in them.

"I was just going out for a walk to clear my head." I told him. "I wouldn't mind having someone walk with me."

A small hint of a smile pulled at the corners of Devon's lips as he offered his arm out to me. "Well then, I'm more than happy to escort you."

Slipping my arm through his, I returned a small smile, the first smile I had revealed in the past three days.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"So you’ve always wanted to open up an animal shelter, huh?" Devon smiled.

"Yeah ... that's been my dream ever since I was a little girl." I replied.

"What's stopping you now?"

I took a few seconds to let my eyes take in the sight of the leaves that were changing colors, before I thought about my answer.

"Gabe asked me that same thing." I told him. "I honestly don't know what's stopping me."

"Well, I think you should go for it." Devon encouraged. "You'd be a great animal shelter boss lady." He grinned.

"I don't know where I'd get the money to open one." I sighed as we started a short trek across one of my favorite bridges in the park.

"No money?" Devon repeated. "Isn't your brother some sort of rock star?"

I appreciated how Devon was clever enough to not mention the fact that Gabe was also in the same profession as my brother.

"Somehow I find it hard to imagine my brother sponsoring my animal shelter; he has major allergies. I buy him Claritin to help him cope with my cat, but I know it can still get pretty hardcore."

"I'm sure that Alex would 'sponsor' your animal shelter." Devon laughed. "You're his little sister; he wants nothing more than for you to be happy."

"Oh, I don't know." I sighed. "I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to opening a business."

"I know some people; maybe when things get calmed down and you feel like you're ready to move on from being a vet assistant, I'll take you to meet them." He offered.

"Hmm ... you make them sound kind of mysterious," I joked, slowing to a stop at the middle of the bridge, "they're not involved in the mafia, are they?"

"I don't know," Devon replied, unlinking his arm with mine as he looked over the edge of the bridge, "they most likely are." He laughed softly.

"Goodness, I don't know if I want to consult with them about my business endeavors."

A slight breeze blew through the area, sending Devon's dirty blonde hair into his eyes. Shaking his head to get the troublesome hair out of his eyes, he glanced down at his watch and then sighed softly.

"I'm going to have to get going, Angie." He said quietly. "You'll be okay here by yourself?"

"Yeah," I said, "I'll be fine."

"If you need anything, though, just give me a call, okay?"

"Alright." I replied. "Thank you for walking with me. It was ... nice to get my mind off of things."

"Of course." He said with a gentle smile. "Anytime, Angie."

With that, he turned around and slowly began making his way toward the north side of the park. As I watched him walk away, I felt my happiness slowly start to fade as his footsteps took him further and further away from me. Sighing heavily, I turned my gaze to those who traveled the path below me.

"I hope you're not trying to replace me," a somber, familiar voice said beside me.

Though I was startled, I played Gabe's sudden appearance off in a nonchalant way.

"You're ready to talk now?" I whispered.

"I've had some time to think." He replied.

"And?"

When Gabe remained silent, I took a chance and looked up at him. Locking my eyes with his, I saw a hint of emotion that I couldn't quite place. Not liking the look, I gazed back down to the pathway below us.

"Angie, I'm not ready for this." He mumbled. "I'm not the type of person who is into raising a family, and taking care of kids. I'm just ... I'm not ready for this."

"Well ... what do you want me to do, Gabriel?" I asked. "Get an abortion?"

"I don't know, Angie." He said. "I just ... you shouldn't ask me what I want you to do because honestly I have no idea. I'm leaving this up to you."

"Me, Gabriel?" I asked incredulously. "You're leaving it up to just me? This is your child, too."

"I told you, Angie, I don't want kids." He mumbled.

"Gabe, you can't be serious right now!" I gasped. "Can you not grasp the fact that we've conceived a child together? Don't you feel anything knowing that you're going to be a father?"

"I'm not ready, Angie." He repeated while shaking his head. "I don’t know what to do."

"Well maybe you should grow up and figure something out." I snapped meanly. "Be a man for once, Gabriel."

"I've waited for you for a long time, Angie. One look at you and I knew that I wanted to marry you. I had to wait for you to trust me before agreeing to be my girlfriend. There were times that I thought that you would never trust me, but ... eventually you did. But ... ever since you did, I get this feeling that everything I do somehow isn't good enough for you." Gabe whispered. "And now ... this ... telling me to grow up and be a man ... this is the last straw. I've worked my ass off for the past ten years, and I've done everything I've done the best way I know how. I've taken care of you, even though I had no idea how to care for a girl like you, Angie, so forgive me if there's just some things I have no clue how to deal with."

"So, what are you saying, Gabe?" I mumbled.

"I'm saying that if you can't recognize and acknowledge all the things I've done for you so far, then maybe we should just call it quits, Angela."

"Gabe, I'm carrying your child for fucks sake." I said. "You're really going to suggest that we break up?"

"I don't know what else to do, Angie." He whispered. "I just ... I don't know."

"Yeah, well fuck you Gabe." I spat angrily. "I should have never given you a chance."

"Why don't you cry around about it to Devon?" Gabe suggested. "Looks like he was keeping you pretty happy while I was gone."

"Maybe I will." I growled.

"If you hurry your happy ass along maybe you can catch up with him."

"Shut the hell up, Gabriel." I snapped. "I hate you."

"Hate's a strong word, Angela." Gabe said softly. "You might want to think twice before you use it."

"Give me a chance and I'll use it again." I said.

Gabe reached up, running his hand through his hair. Sighing quietly, his eyes scanned the area as if searching for inspiration for his next words. Finding nothing, though, he simply shook his head and turned around without another word, leaving me standing in his wake.