Status: Completed

Breaking Hearts and Breaking Bones Has Never Been So Romantic

Never Been Much ...

I've never cared much for the band meetings that we were forced to endure from time to time, least of all when my life was a complete mess. The past few days I've been drowning in a sea of unfathomable emotions and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't pull myself to the surface. The woman that had been my life jacket for the past year and a half is gone, disappeared to Florida with my unborn child, and without her it feels as if my heart is going to fall apart at any second.
 
I've never known a pain such as this before. Sure, I've experienced heart ache before for someone I've loved but for whatever reason had lost, but nothing compares to losing Angie. Perhaps it is because I know that this time it was my own actions and words that had put an end to our relationship. Perhaps it is because I know that Angie is the girl I'm supposed to marry.
 
I've never been much for clichés, yet here I find myself acknowledging the cliché that I've lost my soul mate and absolutely need to get her back.
 
The matter of Angie carrying my baby has shaken me up like never before; I had never planned on having kids and when Angie told me that she was pregnant, I was shocked beyond disbelief. This shock carried over and by the time I was forced to respond the only emotion that I was able to muster was confusion. This confusion transformed into frustration when Angie didn't like the response I'd given her.
 
Things escalated and before I knew it I was sitting alone in my room, contemplating all the decisions I've made; breaking up with Angie, insisting I didn't want kids, having one night stands after the fact as a shrill attempt to fill the void in my chest that accompanies the malady of heartache.
 
All this time that Angie has been away, I've been analyzing my actions and decisions, and recalibrating my priorities. After realizing what was more important, the only things I have left to do are man up and call the girl that I love.
 
Ryland cleared his throat quietly beside me, causing me to assess him quickly with my brown stare before turning my attention to the door. It was almost as if I knew that someone was on the other side because a split second later the door opened, revealing our manager. Greeting us with a smile, he offered his hellos before settling down into a chair at the head of the table.
 
As he settled himself in, he opened his mouth once again to speak but stopped short when my cell phone started to ring. I muttered a few apologies before hitting the button to mute the ringtone. Seeing that it was Angie calling me, I quickly excused myself and exited the room before answering the call.
 
"Hey Angela," I whispered softly, "I can't really talk right now. Can I call you back in an hour or so?"
 
"I need to talk to you right now, though, Gabe." She said quietly. "This … this can't wait."
 
Glancing at the door from whence I had come, I bit my lip slightly before shaking my head. Taking off the down the hallway, I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.
 
"What is it, Angie? Are you okay?" I questioned.
 
"No, I'm not okay, Gabriel." She snapped angrily. "I've been a cluster fuck of emotions ever since I've found out I'm pregnant."
 
Entering the sunny foyer, I let a sad frown cross my lips, knowing that it was my fault. "I'm sorry, sweetheart," I whispered, "what can I do?"
 
On the other end of the line, Angie sighed quietly. "Gabe, I have an appointment this afternoon to get an abortion."
 
My breath caught in my throat as the panic started to rise within me. "Angie, no, you can't." I uttered breathlessly. "Please, come back to New York."
 
"You already made it perfectly clear that you didn't want kids, Gabe." She muttered. "And I just can't deal with this all on my own. I just can't."
 
"Angie, wait, please don't do this – "
 
"I've made up my mind, Gabe." Angie whispered. "I have to go."
 
"Angela, please, no – "
 
Before I had a chance to finish my sentence, the line went dead, indicating that Angie had hung up on me. All the light shining down on me through the grand windows should have offered me some sort of warmth or comfort, but all I felt was the coldness of the brutal realization of what Angie was planning to do. My lungs felt as if they had to work extra hard to pull in air, and I stood there in shock, unsure as to what to do.
 
"Gabe?"
 
I shook my head, unable to face Alex at this moment.
 
"Gabe, what's wrong? Who was on the phone?" Alex questioned.
 
"Angie," I whispered breathlessly. "I have to get to Florida."
 
"Is she okay?" Alex asked hurriedly. "What happened to her?"
 
"She's getting an abortion Alex," I said, my voice barely coherent. "I tried to talk her out of it, but … she hung up on me."
 
Looking up at Alex, I saw that he already had his cell phone held against his ear. With a mixture of emotions on his face, he gazed at the floor while waiting for someone to pick up on the other end of the line. After a few seconds, he lowered his phone and then shook his head.
 
"She sent me over to voicemail." He muttered.
 
"She can't do this, Alex." I whispered. "I'm going down to Florida."
 
"I thought you didn't want kids, though, Gabe." Alex frowned.
 
"I love your sister, Alex," I said quietly, "I want to marry her, to start a family with her, to grow old with her … she can't do this."
 
"Then you should get to the airport." Alex insisted. "I'll call and get your ticket taken care of."
 
Unable to say anything else, I merely nodded my head and went outside to hail a cab that would take me to the JFK.
 
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
 
The house that belonged to Angela's mom would have seemed welcoming had I arrived here under any other circumstances, but today the windows stared blankly back at me as if it knew the purpose of my visit.
 
Parking the rental car behind a dark red Toyota 4-Runner, I got out and slowly made my way up to the front door. My hand shook as I reached up to ring the doorbell, and I stood there on the threshold for a few seconds, gathering my courage to face the girl I wanted to give my name to.
 
Breathing in deeply, I pressed the round button and then listened to the sound of the bell ringing within the house, signaling my arrival. I stepped away from the door and waited anxiously for someone to answer it. A few seconds later I found myself face to face with Angie's mom as she opened the door.
 
"Oh, Gabriel," she gasped, "Angie didn't tell me that you were coming down."
 
"She didn't know," I said quietly, "is … is she here? Or is she … " I trailed off, not daring to utter my thoughts aloud.
 
"She's here." She replied as she stepped aside, allowing me entrance. "She's lying down in the guest room; she's not feeling too good."
 
My heart dropped, knowing that I had arrived too late to stop her from getting the abortion. I muttered a barely audible 'oh' as I stepped inside. Angie's mom closed the door behind me and then examined me with caring eyes.
 
"She's missed you, Gabe." She stated. "Ever since she's been here, that little spark that makes her Angie has been missing. She left a piece of herself behind."
 
"I've missed her too." I admitted. "I know I've been stupid but … " I shrugged my shoulders, not really knowing what to think. "Is she awake?"
 
"I don't know, sweetie." She replied. "Why don't you go back there and talk to her?"
 
I nodded my head in agreement although I had no idea what I was going to say to her. Angie's mom gave me a reassuring half smile before she nodded her head in the direction of the bedrooms. Following her suggestion, I made my way through the house and came to a stop in front of the guest bedroom. Before I could change my mind, I knocked gently on the door before slowly opening it.
 
Lying on her side with her back to the door, Angie made no move as I walked into the room. I eased myself down on the edge of the bed and then reached over, gently placing a hand on her arm.
 
"Sweetheart," I whispered.
 
Angie's soft breathing spotted suddenly and I felt her body tense up underneath my touch.
 
"Gabe? What are you doing here?" She asked, looking over her shoulder at me.
 
Slowly, I lay down beside her. Caressing her face momentarily, I leaned over and kissed her cheek gently. "I came down here to bring you home." I said softly. "I love you. I wasn't lying when I said I wanted to make you my wife. I want to have kids with you. I want a family with you, Angie. Come back to New York with me and we'll try again for kids."
 
"Gabe, we don't have to try again." She whispered. "I couldn't go through with the abortion. I thought we were done for good and I wasn't willing to let go of the only piece I had left of you."
 
An emotional lump rose in my throat as her words sank in. "You mean … we're still having a baby?" I asked in disbelief.
 
"Yes," she smiled softly.
 
Unable to help myself, I leaned over and pressed my lips to hers, kissing her deeply as if to make up for all the things I had put her through these past few days. Breaking the kiss a little while later, I closed my eyes and leaned my forehead against hers.
 
"I'm going to marry you, Angela." I mumbled.
 
"Right now?" She laughed quietly.
 
"Yes. Right now. " I insisted. "I'm going to take you down to the court house and marry you."
 
"Aren't you even going to ask my opinion?" Angie questioned.
 
"No." I muttered before kissing her cheek once again.
 
"If I marry you, I want to have a ceremony. I want the dress, the cake, and the open bar reception."
 
"If we have an open bar, you can't drink anyway." I told her. "No one likes a shit faced bride."
 
"The wedding will have to be after the baby is born." Angie stated.
 
I opened my eyes and looked at her. "So does this mean you're agreeing to marry me?" I whispered.
 
"Yes," she replied, "I'll marry you Gabriel."
 
Not knowing what else to say, I simply smiled in response. As the comfortable silence consumed us, I closed my eyes once again and settled in the sleep, holding my fiancé in my arms tightly in my arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
She is the days I can't get over, she is the nights that I call home. Endlessly, for you I'll always wait. Caught in the waves of hesitation, lost in the sea of my own doubt, endlessly, for you I'll always wait

so that's the end for Gabe and Angie. Thank you for taking the time to read

<333