Status: Active

The Menyarian Project

First: ***er

My feet carry me fast over the dusty flat ground. Rocks stab me as I run over them, but my feet have long ago become numb. Fear grips my heart, choking, suffocating. My heartbeat keeps rhythm with the pounding of my feet. The air stings my lungs, like I'm gulping ice cold water, yet the dusty wind dries out my mouth and chaps my lips. I'm slowly losing distance between the creatures flying behind me as they draw nearer.

They are ugly creatures with grey skin and foul breath. Their emaciated forms are easily lifted in the air by their dull, leathery wings. The faces look almost human - almost. The skin is so sunken that every bone on the face is visible. Their teeth are sharpened points that could kill a man in one bite. Their eyes are one of the worst parts of them. Rather, their lack of eyes.

In place of where eyes should be, there are black voids. One look into those depths, and all your worst fears will play inside your mind. That's right. These creatures get inside your head. Literally. One look in their eyes and they know everything about you. And what do they live off of? Fear. That is their life energy.

The only way to be completely immune to their effects is if you don't have a fear gene. But who doesn't have that? At least, what human doesn't? These monsters create your worst fears in your mind, twist them - and make you believe it's true. Your fear feeds them. They literally suck the life out of you by feeding on your fear-fueled energy. That is, if you look them in the eyes. So I just keep running and don't look back.

To think - they used to be human.

One of them lets out a screech so shrill that it makes my ears ring afterward. I still don't turn around; rather, I look for a place to hide. On the Menyarian Plains? Where are you going to find a place to hide here? I ask myself.

"Harlot!" another creature screams, making my name sound like two separate screeches. It sounded more like "ha-low" instead. That's how they communicate - the screeches and screams. They know very little of our language.

The creatures are closer now - much closer. I feel a stitch in my side, but I push myself harder, faster. The wind from the creatures' wings whips my black hair around my face. I'm about to collapse from exhaustion, but I press on, not willing to give up. Wishing that the Svìrtika Lövaki will come into view soon.

That's crazy, I think, The Svìrtika won't come into view for days. You won't even hear the rumble of the Lövaki until at least two days.

A grey hand appears on my shoulder, making me scream and jerk away. "Harlot! Harlot!" it shrieks in my ear, almost causing me to go deaf. Don't look into its eyes. it shrieks something to the others, and they circle me, causing me to slow my pace. Claws catch my skin; they're close enough for me to smell their rotten breath.

This is it. They'll take me back to the Rokoni - the lab. I don't want to go back.

They finally stop me on a large rock, and I close my eyes so as not to look into theirs. "Look at me, Harlot!" one screeches. So they do know our language. "No."

"Harlot!" I keep my eyes shut; squeeze them closed tighter. "Open your pretty little eyes, Harlot!"

"No." I try not to show my fear, but they know. They can smell it. I feel something slide against my cheek and then... white-hot pain. One of them had raked its claws across my face, maybe leaving three jagged scars. The pain is enough to force my eyes open in shock. Just what they wanted.

As I open my eyes, I'm met with the black holes of the monster. Images play behind my eyes: Me, going home to mother, yet finding her body on the kitchen floor. I scream as  I realize she's dead. Murdered. Next scene - father as I remembered finding him in the family room - glassy eyed, cold, and covered in blood. Next. My older brother smiling at me, but loses the smile as a thin line of blood trickles slowly from the corner of his mouth; he holds his hand over his heart as he falls to the ground. Next scene. I walk through the house, stopping to examine myself for wounds in the hall mirror. Looking down to find the rapier in my hand, its blade and my clothes stained with the blood of my family.

"You killed them, Harlot. It's your fault they died," a voice in my head says.

No. They're trying to rewire my brain to think that. I didn't hurt them!

"You killed them," the voice continues.

No! I didn't hurt them! They were murdered by Rokoni!

"Murderer."

I'm not...

"You're a murderer."

I'm...

"MURDERER!!!"

The last thing I hear are my own screams before darkness takes over and my body falls to the ground. 
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm working on another story while also working on Forever Yours. Tell me if you like it? :3 Oh, I forgot. Svirtika = mountains, Lovaki = fire. Both combined are Volcanoes. Rokoni = the lab in which she was experimented on.

Edit: for some reason, if you aren't signed in, the chapter title is blanked out. For those who cannot read the chapter title, it reads "First: Murderer" Just to clear it up for some users who cannot read it because of Mibba editors.