Status: Active

The Menyarian Project

Fifth: Secrets

HARLOT

"It all started when I lived with my parents in Kineirion. When I was a Nkrm. When the world was normal," I tell Phoenyx quietly. He gets comfortable, sensing that my story will be a long one. His gaze looks intently at me, though it seems a bit off. Like he's not entirely looking at me. He looks curious for a moment. "What's Kineirion?"

"Kineirion is on the west coast of this great big land mass. It was a beautiful place, with beaches and grand homes. It was gorgeous."

"One more question," he says shyly. "What's a beach? I've never heard of it. All they talked about in Rokoni was their plans. Nothing of the past." I take out my optiscreen from my belt. It's a long, small metal cylinder, like a metal unsharpened pencil. I wave my hand in front of the sensor on the end, and it opens. A clear screen slides out and blinks on. 

I touch the "info" icon and search for "Kineirion beaches". A moving picture appears on the screen, vibrant colors filling my eyes. Palm trees sway in the wind and the sound of waves crashing and seagulls calling emit from the speaker on my optiscreen. 

"This is a beach. Isn't it beautiful?" Phoenyx looks saddened for a moment, but then a small smile appears on his face. "It does seem beautiful. I think I would like to go."

"Kineirion was a place to escape the Hundred Year War," I continue as I put my optiscreen back in my belt after the screen has blinked off and retracted. "I was born there. In 2251. In the middle of the war. 60 years ago."

"Umm…" Phoenyx hesitates before he asks his question. "So… you're… 60, right?"

I chuckle. "Not quite. When I was twelve, Kineirion was raided by people in white coats. They had optiscreens, and scanned our heads with them. I only later found out why: they wanted to find any trace of heightened abilities and take us. To turn us into experiments. Like you and me.

"They took me from my home and killed my family. I had heightened abilities, so they chose to experiment on me. Most people they captured were kids and teenagers. Not much younger or older than us. The adults they captured - the results were terrifying. The older ones don't take well to the experiments. They turn into the thing we all feared most: the Morthearok. My older cousin was taken. I was there. I saw her turn. It scared me, and it still does. Knowing she could be the one to kill me."

"But that was a long time ago. How… how old are you?" Phoenyx stops, then blushes. "I'm… I'm so sorry. That was rude. I'm just… curious."

"It's fine. And I'm still 18, I guess. They froze my body in a cryogenic chamber until they got all of the serums ready for us. Then they started working on our bodies. Turning us into weapons. For what, I don't know. Many of the injections killed one of our senses. In my case, the nerves in my hands are not all there. I can feel pressure, but barely. 

"Many went blind or deaf. Or both. Some like that, the Rokoni deemed useless and they killed them. It was brutal. Killing someone just because they couldn't see or hear… horrible." Phoenyx's eyes turned to rage, then softened into a more timid, scared look. I don't question his past anymore though. I keep telling my own.

"They trained us for four years, after the year it took to turn us into… well, this. We were given a weapon that could serve us best with our abilities. Mine was a sword. A one handed blade that could slice through rock like it was bread. It was light, and beautifully crafted. The hilt had decorations of cherry oak, and it was beautiful.

"I practiced with it every day for four years. But before they sent us out with our weapons, I escaped. I don't remember how. That part is blank. All I know is that I ended up back in Rokoni one week later. At least, I think it was a week. And just two days ago, I managed to get away again. Though, I have no weapon. Except for this small knife."

"How did you escape? The second time, I mean."

"That's a secret," I say with a smile. 

"Aww, come on! Tell me. Please?" Phoenyx makes a mock puppy dog face, which makes me laugh. "Nope. That doesn't work on me, by the way."

"Makes you laugh," he says, and smirks. My heart jumps at the way he looked at me; a playfully sly look that made him look… well… sexy.

"Maybe one day. Besides, I know you haven't told me your whole story. Like why you won't look me in the eyes. So I'll tell you the rest of my story when you tell me yours." A half smile appears on his face as he holds out his hand. "Deal." I take his hand and a little shock runs through me, tickling my spine.

"Tomorrow, we figure out a way to get out of here. But for now, rest. We need it," Phoenyx says, letting out a large yawn. He picks up his bow from where I placed it and puts it next to his quiver; he lies down beside his weapons, and I shiver and move closer to the fire. I lie next to the fire's warmth and watch the flames for a while. Soon, I am asleep.

************************************************

A low growling sound fills the air. My eyes open to find two yellow eyes staring at me hungrily. The deep growl emits from the Wolf again. I look over to Phoenyx, who is just waking, and silently beg for his help. My hand reaches for my knife, but the weapon is gone. I watch as Phoenyx stands and turns his electric blue eyes on me. They begin to change to a murky yellow, finally settling at a bright, vivid golden color. Like the ones that belong to the Wolf before me. 

The Wolf stalks closer to me as I watch Phoenyx's body begin to change. It's gruesome, the way his bones pop and shift, and his features turn animalistic. 

Phoenyx's Wolf eyes turn on me, as hungry as the Wolf's not two feet away from me. I hear Phoenyx's voice in my head. Harlot. Run. Run, Harlot!

The Wolf lunges and all goes black. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Told you I was updating soon!! :D Anyway, I would love to hear what you think so far! And if you would like, point out what's good, and what I may need to work on. Every writer needs an editor, after all.

I want to thank my commenters, readers, and subscribers. I love you all! Special thanks for imjustinlove for the recommendation! That really means a lot!

If you have any questions about the story/characters, feel free to message me! The only questions I can't answer are who ends up with who, or what's going to happen next. Things like that. But you can ask me anything about the characters or story and I'll be sure o answer in the best way I possibly can. Thank you!